Clunky Rear Diff??

blackbolt2003

Established Member
I just read through Top Gear magazine's Mustang vs the States. They were generally positive about the GT they drove, but they referred to the noisy, clunky rear differential on a few occasions. A question for the 2015 owners, what the hell are they talking about?

Last edited:

RSKtakR

Established Member
The torsion diff has some chatter to it at low speeds in corners.

This... I notice it after I back out of my driveway, cut the wheels right and let out of the clutch.. it almost feels like the diff isn't unlocking. I notice it in slow, kinda sharp, 1st gear, just after idle turns too. I have heard that it doesn't do it as bad when its warmer out but I haven't had much warm weather here yet to know if that's true or not. I know it drives me batshit CRAZY.. I have to say that the Boss Torsen NEVER EVER made noises/jumping like that. When I took it in for the first oil change at 600 miles I asked about that and the advisor said they couldn't get it to replicate it (of F'ING COURSE you cant).. So the next time I take it I will take someone for a ride because I hate it lol

blackbolt2003

Established Member
Interesting....I thought they were just being whinny about American made cars, as usual. I recall my '06 GT had a similar clunk at low speeds under very specific circumstances. Ford had a TSB to fix this.

Last edited:

Jagger227

Established Member
Makes me feel like I am in my welded diff 1jz drift car, I personally Love it :rolling:

craigstu

Established Member
The clunk is similar to what I get w/ the TrueTrac in my cobra replica. I understand it is normal for gear type LSDs to have slightly more driveline slop than clutch pack types. The noise when pulling away from a stop while turning is also normal. The gear type LSDs are a more aggressive lockup than others. One person above said it seemed like the diff isn't unlocking. I would describe it as the diff IS locking so it is similiar to a spool in a diff. This is my experience after upgrading the replica diff 3 years ago from the stock Ford clutch pack to the TrueTrac.

Users who are viewing this thread