'Clunky' Transmission

s_x_i

Established Member
Hey guys, I'm getting ready to throw in a new clutch set up. I'm going to have a transmission shop do it. Is there anything else I can do while they have it apart to get rid of the clunkieness of my transmission? My friends Cobra shifts so good it makes mine feel like a POS... He said his was crap until he installed his centerforce kit.

Thanks!

JB

beautiful loser
Established Member
proper clutch cable adjustment is crucial...

if it's too tight, there might be some preload on the trans even when the clutch is disengaged (especially at high RPM)

ViciousJay

Established Member
kiss your synchros bye bye... get ready for a new trans... or you you might have a counter shaft problem

03yllwguy

Daily driven since 2003
Established Member
If your transmission is "clunky" compared to another car's, I suspect there is something internally wrong. Are you upgrading your input shaft while it's apart?

Jpjr

Established Member
if you synchros are 'bad' you would not be able to shift normally. they may be 'going bad', but in my experience driving a number of Cobras there is just a lot of sloppy tolerance in the entire driveline. i had my trans ripped apart and inspected when i did the 26 spline shaft. the shop, liberty, said the trans was perfect fine in great shape internally. they said my clunking was due to the reasons i stated above. i've done just about every trans mod possible without going auto and my t-56 still shifts and sounds like crap. the t-56 in my cts-v shifts like butter and barely makes any noise. unfortunately i blame this on ford ;)

JB

beautiful loser
Established Member
Jpjr said:
I've done just about every trans mod possible without going auto and my t-56 still shifts and sounds like crap. the t-56 in my cts-v shifts like butter and barely makes any noise. unfortunately i blame this on ford ;)

did you have them install billet steel dogs, brass synchros & bronze fork pads?

there's a lot that Liberty can upgrade (including Viper OD gears and 31-spline output, although that won't change shifting)

mine shifts great...

Sharkster

Established Member
I know whenever I go over railroad tracks or let off of the gas too suddenly mine seems like the clutch comes off of the plate and it makes it seems like you dont know how to drive a stick..... a nice little rocking motion with the power. Anyone know what causes that?

JB

beautiful loser
Established Member
Sharkster said:
I know whenever I go over railroad tracks or let off of the gas too suddenly mine seems like the clutch comes off of the plate and it makes it seems like you dont know how to drive a stick..... a nice little rocking motion with the power. Anyone know what causes that?

slop in the driveline, but nothing to do with the clutch

Users who are viewing this thread