Cluster inverter reverse engineering project

01yellercobra

AKA slo984now
Established Member
On the topic of saving the cluster, how damaging would a pulsing output from the alternator be to the cluster? I don't know the amplitude of the ripple, but I can see my dash pulsing at idle.

mwolson

Gray beard
Established Member
On the topic of saving the cluster, how damaging would a pulsing output from the alternator be to the cluster? I don't know the amplitude of the ripple, but I can see my dash pulsing at idle.
In my opinion, if you can see the pulsing, then the frequency will be way to low to cause any damage to the EL panel.

bull_dog190

Established Member
That's a good point. Dimming the cluster will reduce the peak-to-peak voltage which should help to extend the life of your cluster. How much it would help, I have no idea, but it sure can't hurt.
well i know what im doing from now on! lol

03cobra#2

Hobbyist Of Many Hobbies
Established Member

I have that problem as well. I'm thinking there is something with my new kmj alternator. It does seem to log stable voltages at idle / wot but the gauges do pulsate a little at night time.

01yellercobra

AKA slo984now
Established Member
I have that problem as well. I'm thinking there is something with my new kmj alternator. It does seem to log stable voltages at idle / wot but the gauges do pulsate a little at night time.
The issue is with the KMJ. The first one he sent me did it really bad. I sent that one back and he fixed it. Supposedly. This one does it as well. I have no interest in dealing with pulling it and sending it back again so I'm dealing with the pulsing for now.

03cobra#2

Hobbyist Of Many Hobbies
Established Member
The issue is with the KMJ. The first one he sent me did it really bad. I sent that one back and he fixed it. Supposedly. This one does it as well. I have no interest in dealing with pulling it and sending it back again so I'm dealing with the pulsing for now.

Oh that's just great . Thoughts on what you'll do to remedy the situation when you get around to it?

01yellercobra

AKA slo984now
Established Member
Oh that's just great . Thoughts on what you'll do to remedy the situation when you get around to it?
I have a spare hair pin style on the shelf waiting to go in. Then maybe replace the regulator and brushes in the KMJ.

caveeagle

Currently Decompressing
Established Member
Just reading this thread, having been away from SVTP for a few years. Nice to see the solid analysis and shared knowledge here.

FWIW, my Speedhut "fix" is still working find, having been installed well over 10 yrs ago.

mwolson

Gray beard
Established Member
Thanks! Glad to hear that the Speedhut solution is still working after years. I was a little worried that the higher frequency might be bad for the panel, but your evidence suggests it isn't. The lower voltage may actually make te panels last even longer. Who knows. Good news though.

caveeagle

Currently Decompressing
Established Member
Do these just fail or start to dim first?

Sent from my iPhone using svtperformance.com
In my case (an 04 with ~80k miles), They started to fail intermittently. They would go out for a day or two, and then start working again. This went on for a few months, until they were 100% 'Tango Uniform'.

That was annoying, because I had no idea it was an "inverter issue". I swapped out headlight switches and played around with fuses trying to find the root cause issue. IIRC, this was in 07-08 timeframe, so there wasn't a lot of tribal knowledge and the dealers were just saying "buy a new cluster"..

Users who are viewing this thread