Clutch advice, or opinions even

Poolman

Established Member
I need some clutch advice or opinions or comments please.
I have 04 Cobra with Spec 3+ clutch on what appears to be the stock flywheel through the peep hole. Bought the car with it in there. Has great pedal effort and grips really well, but chatters on engagement, which gets worse on warm up. Car is lightly driven, it was what I always wanted and family will not let me sell it so sorry about that in an earlier post.
This one: https://www.svtperformance.com/forums/threads/2004-competition-orange-cobra.1050824/. I really like it, except for the clutch chatter.

To the point: also have an 03 Cobra which I purchased new, had a Centerforce Dual friction clutch that failed, well I killed it really. Pedal pressure was really stiff, but engagement was smooth until the pucks delaminated from the disc. Clutch had been installed for 8-9 years, best I can remember, but less than 5k miles on it in that time. It has a Fidanza aluminum flywheel, which has need of a new friction plate, been very hot. This car has T56 Magnum trans. Car has about 500 hp, 500 ft-lbs torque. Has original Eaton with pulley mods and some bolt ons and Pro Dyno tune, about 26k miles. I will likely never run it at the strip, but will do some open track events and some street light work with all the Chevy stuff here in Myrtle Beach. Likely not to mod it any further.

Not sure what to do guys on a clutch purchase, any advice? or comments? Need moderate pedal requirement and smooth engagement for the HP, and durability for 400 to 500 miles a year. :) Hope this is my last T-56 removal! thanks, retired Poolman

01yellercobra

AKA slo984now
Established Member
Do you happen to know how many miles are on the Spec 3+? I don't have experience with them, but I've heard they chatter until broken in. If it should be broken in by now I'd say the flywheel wasn't surfaced before the clutch was installed. Since you like the Spec I would pull it and either get a new flywheel or have that one surfaced if there's enough material. Then either have Spec check out and possibly rebuild the clutch. Of course I'm assuming the rebuild would be cheaper as I know getting an RST rebuilt is considerably cheaper than a new unit. Then put it all back together and see how you like it. If it works for you then you can get another Spec 3+ and install it in your other car.

Users who are viewing this thread