Clutch Balancing in FL.

IllCobra

Established Member
Hopefully it's ok that I post this in this section.

Doing this one more time before I say F it and install it as it came. I have been looking for a place to balance my clutch for a bit now. But no auto machine or transmission shop I've called seems to do this. I don't want to deal with shipping it to another state, so if anyone knows of a shop that will balance a new clutch here in FL. please let me know. I am in Orlando and make frequent trips to Vero Beach. So anywhere near these locations.

cobracide

Established Member
Ya some dillweed installer tried pulling that out of balance crap on me. Turned out he crushed the main bearing on install. No wonder it vibrated..

IllCobra

Established Member
What’s going on? Is it a used unit or something?
According to McLeod's instructions, they highly recommend it be balanced before install. I haven't heard of other clutches needing this but apparently McLeod does. If I would have know this, I would have gone with another clutch honestly

Black02GT

*Not 2KBlackGT
Established Member
According to McLeod's instructions, they highly recommend it be balanced before install. I haven't heard of other clutches needing this but apparently McLeod does. If I would have know this, I would have gone with another clutch honestly

They also have a procedure to test separation on twin disc clutches using a drill press. Should and is done at the factory but it's a cover your ass measure to avoid liability and warranty claims in my opinion.

Should it be double checked... yeah, does anyone really do it no. More or less terms of service. Not a huge fan of "important clutch installation hints" ...hints? Maybe call it "best practices" either way nice unit in my mind.

Last edited:

cobracide

Established Member
Yes as long as you bought the flywheel with the clutch assembly as a unit from McLeod - you are good. The assembly with the flywheel is balanced together from the factory.

IllCobra

Established Member
They also have a procedure to test separation on twin disc clutches using a drill press. Should and is done at the factory but it's a cover your ass measure to avoid liability and warranty claims in my opinion.

Should it be double checked... yeah, does anyone really do it no. More or less terms of service.
I am starting to think this too. From what I've been reading on McLeod clutches, they seem to be hit or miss from what they were a few years ago. I got the clutch on Black Friday, otherwise, I would have given Lethal's twin disk a try. More than likely the last McLeod I buy....or who knows, I may have great success with this one.

FYI anybody not making crazy hp and on the fence about Spec's single disk (more specifically their 2+) go for it. Removed mine to include with my stock t56, and that sucker looked brand new. Only 6,500 miles but it was not broken in like a new clutch should - had to set the rings on the new pistons and brought it up to 6000 rpms a few times before taking it easy the next 500 miles. I am probably around the 550 to 600whp range with probably a little less tq and that thing hung well.

IllCobra

Established Member
Yes as long as you bought the flywheel with the clutch assembly as a unit from McLeod - you are good. The assembly with the flywheel is balanced together from the factory.
I am leaning toward that. I think, I am just going to install it and wish for the best. I am dying to try out the new magnum.

cobracide

Established Member
McLeod makes very good clutches. What is hit or miss is a good installer. The twin disk is a bit more complicated than a standard single disk install and is less forgiving. I've had better luck with a specialized clutch place than a performance shop on these.

DSG2003Mach1

Established Member
Premium Member
I have the RXT in my Mach with the magnum, used with a ford racing steel flywheel bought off the shelf locally. Maybe I just got lucky but it’s been perfect and we just slapped it together (did use a torque wrench).

Having the trans and motor out definitely made setting the pivot ball depth much easier

IllCobra

Established Member
I have the RXT in my Mach with the magnum, used with a ford racing steel flywheel bought off the shelf locally. Maybe I just got lucky but it’s been perfect and we just slapped it together (did use a torque wrench).

Having the trans and motor out definitely made setting the pivot ball depth much easier
I hope I have the same luck. How many miles so far?

Users who are viewing this thread