Clutch chatter when it's hot out?

t660

Established Member
Okay guys, I apologize for the giant wall of text, but I have 2 questions in 1.

I bought my 2011 5.0 used from a dealer this winter. I had to take it back to the dealer a few days after I got it because of the notorious mt82 whine and the clutch wouldn't disengage. So i would have to turn the car off to get it into 1st gear when I was at a stop.

I took it into the dealership and they did a few things. 1) adjusted the clutch so it would properly disengage. 2) replaced the input shaft (to fix the whine) 3) replaced the 5th gear cluster. This was all done in January.

When March came around we had a pretty hot day and I started to notice some clutch chatter when I'd get rolling out of 1st gear. It would just shake a little bit while I was disengaging, nothing major.

The whine ended up coming back, but from what I read this was due to a poor design in the input shaft.

Fast forward to today. It's 92 degrees, I took my car to a local performance shop to install an o/r h pipe. On the way down to the shop there was some clutch chatter, not a bunch, but I noticed it.

Once I picked the car up a few hours later it's a little warmer outside and the clutch chatter's bad.

Now I'm starting to wonder if I'm going to need to replace the clutch. I live in Texas and soon it's going to be 90+ degrees every day.

If I do need to replace the clutch, I've seen that the mt82 whine can be cured by using a 26 spline clutch/input shaft. Does anyone have experience with this? If so, is it worth it?

Thanks for any info guys, and sorry for the wall of text.

t660

Established Member
Yup, everything's stock down there.

Still haven't torn it apart to take a look at it, I'd rather get a diagnosis before I do too much. It's a lot of work dropping the tranny in your garage D:

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread