Clutch & Flywheel Recommendations

10fore

Established Member
Hey Guys,
I need a little help/insight, please. I will be replacing the throw-out bearing on my car within the next month, as it started to chirp, and figure I will utilize the downtime to also replace the clutch and flywheel. I thought I would be able to decide on parts, without any issues, though quickly realized the number of products available is a tad overwhelming. Does anyone have product recommendations? My Bullitt is stock, motor wise, so I am not looking for something that has to handle high horse/torque numbers. With that being said, I do plan to start with some minor mods on the car shortly, with a goal of 400hp, or slightly more. I do not daily drive my car, and it currently has a little more than 33k miles on it. It will never see a drag strip, though will occasionally see a road course once my spare time frees up.

I am looking at the Exedy Mach 350 stage 1, or 400 stage 2 and the Exedy Lightweight Flywheel. The reviews on both products seem to be rather high, though is there anything I should know, or expect once any change is made? Also, are there any other parts that I should replace while I have everything out of the car?

I greatly appreciate any insight.
-Tyler

geoffmt

Established Member
Premium Member
I just bought the exedy chromemoly flywheel for my setup, looks loke a nice piece and should work well with my RXT twin disc. you should have no issues with what you have chosen. I ran a SPEC aluminum flywheel and stage 1 clutch before with 250whp and it worked great. expecting triple the power so everything gets upgraded

StrayBullitt

Established Member
I'd go with a stock OE replacement Terminator clutch, I actually think they are the same part # as for your Bullitt, but I can't remember 100% on that. You don't really need any more clutch than that for 400hp unless you insist on paying out more $ ;)

centerforce

Established Member
400hp would make a great fit for our Dual-Friction clutch. It uses different friction materials on each side of the disc to give you the best of both worlds-improved clamping force and stock-like engagement. The DF was designed it primarily for street cars that see occasional track use, so we ensured the pedal pressure was nice and light with the help of our patented centrifugal weight system. Please feel free to shoot us a PM if you have any questions! We would be happy to help.

geoffmt

Established Member
Premium Member
400hp would make a great fit for our Dual-Friction clutch. It uses different friction materials on each side of the disc to give you the best of both worlds-improved clamping force and stock-like engagement. The DF was designed it primarily for street cars that see occasional track use, so we ensured the pedal pressure was nice and light with the help of our patented centrifugal weight system. Please feel free to shoot us a PM if you have any questions! We would be happy to help.
I use one of these in my 302 ranger, works real nice!

SUPERVENOM03

Established Member
I just received several clutch parts from AM to include: Exedy Mach 400 clutch, Exedy lightweight flywheel, Ford clutch fork, pivot ball, MM clutch cable, MM quadrant, SR firewall adjuster. I also ordered Timkin TOB and pilot bearing from rock auto. I will have all of this in next Saturday and will post up the results. Also installing MGW shifter, O/R H pipe, and some rear end work at the same time. It is going to be difficult not to drive it hard!

Stang Lover

Established Member
I had an exedy mach 400 in my old mach 1. Clutch was great and DD use was good also light pedal and bites hard.

SUPERVENOM03

Established Member
So the Exedy Mach 400 and chromoly flywheel went in Saturday. I also had a MM clutch cable, MM quadrant, SR firewall adjuster, New clutch fork, and pivot ball installed. I am very impressed. The pedal effort is half what it used to be and the engagement is smooth as glass. Night and day improvement. 400 more granny miles to go...

1SL0SVT

"I Missed 3rd man"
Established Member
I put a Spec stage 2 clutch kit in my '99 two years ago and never looked back. Bites pretty good, not as much as the stage 3 so its more suitable for a daily driver. Sidepoint, but has anybody else noticed the upswing in SPEC's price lately? Bought mine for $210 in 2015, now theyre $330 and up..... Inflation is a bitch smh

DHG1078

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Established Member
Spec clutches always seem to have increased pedal effort and stage 3 and up chatter far worse than other brands in my opinion. The spec clutches seem to hold up to high rpm launches at the drag strip better than some other brands though it seems.

mustanginky

Established Member
I went with an astro king cobra clutch. Nice light pedal and they claim itll hold 400 horsepower. Still breaking it in so i havent tested the clamping pressure, but my car made 400 at the wheels.

StrayBullitt

Established Member
I put in a street pro for a buddy this weekend. Super nice. I'm sold, this is what I'll be going with when the time comes.
IMG_0081.PNG
IMG_0070.JPG

2000GTSTANG

Established Member
I have the McLeod Super Street Pro clutch and cant recommend it enough. Pedal isnt heavy at all and it GRABS! For a flywheel, I have a Fidanza aluminum FW w/ replaceable insert. Ive had that flywheel since 2010 ish and recently had the insert replaced when I had the new clutch installed. No problems with either.

http://www.americanmuscle.com/mcleod-superstreetpro-clutch-0104gt.html

Users who are viewing this thread