Clutch for 1000hp?

04cobrawhine

Established Member
Well my ram twin disc is slipping on the dyno. My tuner is going to turn the boost up more and said it should be right around 1000. What clutch should I go with? McLeod said to go with their RXT. I am also running a magnum trans so apparently that limits my choices. It's a twin turbo set up and I do mostly street driving. When I do race, it's 1/2 mile and 1 miles races.

So quick rundown for those that don't like to read

-1000rwhp twin turbo
-T56 magnum trans
-95% street driving
-occasional 1/2 mile and 1 miles racing
-WHAT CLUTCH?

VFORCEJOHN

Established Member
check out the quartermaster setups. They are all billet and not cast like the Mcleod.

I got the mcleod for my gt500 and then realized there was a better setup so I bought the quartermaster. Just the appearance and machining fit/finish trump the mcleod 10fold.

they also claim 1400hp on the quartermaster.

I'm not sure if they have an application to fit the terminator, but on my gt500 it's holding with no issues on a 10 second car

04cobrawhine

Established Member
check out the quartermaster setups. They are all billet and not cast like the Mcleod.

I got the mcleod for my gt500 and then realized there was a better setup so I bought the quartermaster. Just the appearance and machining fit/finish trump the mcleod 10fold.

they also claim 1400hp on the quartermaster.

I'm not sure if they have an application to fit the terminator, but on my gt500 it's holding with no issues on a 10 second car

They don't make anything for the terminators. They said they could do a custom one starting at $2800 dollars. That's a bit out of my price range

SlowSVT

Established Member
They don't make anything for the terminators. They said they could do a custom one starting at $2800 dollars. That's a bit out of my price range

That's not what I was told. They recommended a 7 1/4" Rally clutch and a button flywheel and said they could put one together for me and the price was very reasonable. Very nice clutch assemblies. I saw one vid that scared me somewhat about a Quartermaster clutch and that was a raddle this particular unit made at idle. May be an isolated incident but worth looking into. I have yet to find the "perfect" clutch so I always keep that in mind. Right now this is the clutch I'm favoring but that could change at purchase time.

04cobrawhine

Established Member
That's not what I was told. They recommended a 7 1/4" Rally clutch and a button flywheel and said they could put one together for me and the price was very reasonable. Very nice clutch assemblies. I saw one vid that scared me somewhat about a Quartermaster clutch and that was a raddle this particular unit made at idle. May be an isolated incident but worth looking into. I have yet to find the "perfect" clutch so I always keep that in mind. Right now this is the clutch I'm favoring but that could change at purchase time.

Really? I got off the phone literally 3 mins before I posted. Maybe they stopped making it? Not sure. At the moment I'm leaning towards the RXT but I will be so close to the power limit. Only thing i have going for me is that the car makes about 100 less torque.

SlowSVT

Established Member
Really? I got off the phone literally 3 mins before I posted. Maybe they stopped making it? Not sure. At the moment I'm leaning towards the RXT but I will be so close to the power limit. Only thing i have going for me is that the car makes about 100 less torque.

That's interesting

My understanding is they can configure a clutch for just about any application. They even emailed me a quote. There are a lot of mod motors out there. It would be weird if they didn't offer a clutch for it. I'll make a few phone calls.

BMR Tech

I like, and recommend the Spec SS Twins....

They've got you covered from 1000tq to about 1500tq - with great street manners. They come as an entire package, flywheel, hardware, TOB, Pilot and Clutch.

04cobrawhine

Established Member
I like, and recommend the Spec SS Twins....

They've got you covered from 1000tq to about 1500tq - with great street manners. They come as an entire package, flywheel, hardware, TOB, Pilot and Clutch.

I had a spec stage 3+ in my only cobra and it wasn't a very good clutch. I understand it's a twin vs a single disc but still using spec has me sceptical

badcobra

It's Fast
Established Member
Why are you stuck on only a twin disk? I had very good luck with my fidanza aluminum flywheel and DFx clutch. The thing was flawless and had very light pedal pressure and good street manners for an aggressive clutch. I wouldn't be so quick to dismiss it.

04cobrawhine

Established Member
Why are you stuck on only a twin disk? I had very good luck with my fidanza aluminum flywheel and DFx clutch. The thing was flawless and had very light pedal pressure and good street manners for an aggressive clutch. I wouldn't be so quick to dismiss it.

According to centerforce, it's only good to 800 hp. It might of held up for you at 1000, but who knows for how long. I just really don't trust a single disc/puck style to hold that kinda power and be street friendly, not mention 7000rpm shifts.

Users who are viewing this thread