Clutch install changed shift gate position??

gqneon

Established Member
So I was getting intimately familiar with my 6-speed GT shifter and despite the negative aura it seems to have, I never had any issues at all missing gears or finding the right gates the way it came from the factory.

Until today. I had a clutch installed and immediately upon driving it I noticed 2 things - the clutch pedal effort required was AT LEAST doubled - and the shift gates were not where they were before. Before, the shifter had a lazy way about it from left to right with the knob resting in neutral about the center of the pattern. That meant that I could move it with the clutch pedal in to the left and right a decent ways and about equal on both sides. After the clutch install, the shifter is now resting against the left maximum shift gate centered, so that I have to hold pressure against the left shift gate to get it to go into first or second. I can only move it to the right and it travels to the right fine, but all the left play is gone and I'm thinking it's misaligned or something.

Has anyone had this happen? What did you do to remedy it? I couldn't find adjustments to shifter linkages or anything in a cursory read of the shop manual, but clearly something changed with the way the shift pattern sits and I'm thus far not a fan at all. I find myself having to force 1st and 2nd with some effort because of how far over the shifter sits, almost like that range selection is a strain for the linkage to get to.

Anyway - any advice would be appreciated.

SID297

OWNER/ADMIN
Administrator
The clutch shouldn't have anything to do with that. Are you sure you reinstalled the trans-crossmember in the correct orientation? Was the shifter disassembled during the install?

gqneon

Established Member
I don't think they unbolted the shifter during the install, just the knob and boot I assume to get it lowered. I had NO idea the cross member could be bolted back on wrong! I'm going to go look right now. If so that's a quick fix for me, relatively, in the driveway.

gqneon

Established Member
Pulled down trans crossmember and it was bolted in the correct direction (there's even an arrow on the inside of the member pointing towards the front that says front). I looked at the insulator that mounts from there to the trans, and it appears to be universal, but correct me if I'm wrong on that. So if that's not the culprit, is there something that could have been damaged or installed incorrectly when it was dropped down to remove the clutch that would cause the shift gate issue? And if he did take the shift off the trans (I don't think he did but I could be wrong I wasn't there for all of it) what would I look for to correct that situation?

roki187

Established Member
It has to be something with the shifter. Recheck the "articulation ball" portion of the shifter, make sure it's not binding. Or the two rails that the ball sits in between did not get bent or damaged during installation. I strongly suggest u call mgw. Their shifter is a game changer.

gqneon

Established Member
It has to be something with the shifter. Recheck the "articulation ball" portion of the shifter, make sure it's not binding. Or the two rails that the ball sits in between did not get bent or damaged during installation. I strongly suggest u call mgw. Their shifter is a game changer.
Thanks Roki87, is that something I can check from inside the cockpit or do I need to drop the trans to get at it?

Last edited:

roki187

Established Member
I would try to find the mgw install vid of their shifter. It shows how to remove the stock shifter. And most of all it explains the operation of the stock unit. You might have to remove the whole assembly to inspect it properly. You may have to remove the drive shaft to access the shifter. It's not a hard job to do, just time consuming if you are doing the job by yourself. I replaced the drive shaft and shifter at the same time. The stock shifter was made to fit all 3 15 models. The mgw is designed for our vehicle and is a piece of amazingness!!!!! as soon as I saw the stock shifter I knew what my first mod was.

https://www.mgwshifters.com/shifters/mustangs/103

If you scroll down there r vids at the bottom. Hope it helps.

Last edited:

gqneon

Established Member
Just bought one, lead time is about 3 weeks apparently but I'm sure it will be worth it. All I can figure is that somehow the shifter was damaged during the removal and installation of the clutch by the shop.

Back to you get what you pay for, I'm expecting I won't be disappointed. It seems like they are the pinnacle of the shifter world.

Thanks for the recommendation!

roki187

Established Member
You will not be disappointed. It's like having a gated shifter without the gates being visible. I would watch the entire hour long install vid prior to install and (I know it's $$) but I would also get the drive shaft and loop if your going to track your ride, makes the install sooooo much easier having the shaft out. As far as the wait. It sucks!!! I had to wait quite a bit for all the parts but it's all worth it.

SID297

OWNER/ADMIN
Administrator
Just bought one, lead time is about 3 weeks apparently but I'm sure it will be worth it. All I can figure is that somehow the shifter was damaged during the removal and installation of the clutch by the shop.

Back to you get what you pay for, I'm expecting I won't be disappointed. It seems like they are the pinnacle of the shifter world.

Thanks for the recommendation!

The MGW is probably going to be your favorite addition to the car.

gqneon

Established Member
I went ahead and ordered a steeda stainless clutch line since I'm going to be down there anyway. I figured why not make a day or of it. People speak really highly of the mgw stuff, so I'm looking forward to it getting here!

Last edited:

PIKE5.0

Established Member
I've pulled the MT82 out of these cars 7-8 times now from '11-'15 models for clutch swaps/trans builds. We always unbolt the shifter from just above the back of the trans. The bell housing isn't easy to navigate out. If the shop wasn't familiar, or didn't take care.. its probably just an install error.

gqneon

Established Member
I'm almost positive he left the shifter attached when he dropped the trans, so there might have been some unintended damage as a result. Where's a good place to get trans work done in the Dallas area I wonder?

PIKE5.0

Established Member
I'm almost positive he left the shifter attached when he dropped the trans, so there might have been some unintended damage as a result. Where's a good place to get trans work done in the Dallas area I wonder?

You would 100% damage something if you tired to pull it out that way. That shifter has to break away down to be able to pull the trans far enough back to start working it down. Shame on that shop.

Bring the trans to OKC. We've got anything coyote related covered up here.

Users who are viewing this thread