Clutch issue diagnostic help

Captain Crunch

Established Member
Hey guys, I have an 11 Gt500 and Im getting some grinding noise from my transmission while letting the clutch out. It is faint while in neutral and letting it out. With the clutch in I can move the tranny into any gear without issue. When I am in any gear and start to let the clutch out i get a pronounced grinding sound. The car will move and drive once the clutch is out. Could the throw out bearing cause this issue?

Catmonkey

I Void Warranties!
Established Member
Premium Member
I'm sure it could, but I think the pressure plate could also cause the issue. Same labor either way. I don't know how many miles you have on the car, but if I had to change one or the other, I'd probably do both.

Captain Crunch

Established Member
Im curios will I know immediately what the problem was or will I need to measure some things?

Catmonkey

I Void Warranties!
Established Member
Premium Member
You can cycle the slave and actuate the bearing to see if you hear anything, but it takes quite a bit of force to move the pressure plate. There I think you'd just do a visual inspection and see if you see any obvious wear areas that seem out of place. Now you could find a shop with an axle press and move the fingers that way. I'd also look for any strange wear patterns on the flywheel, pressure plate and floater that may indicate some problem you can't see.

Captain Crunch

Established Member
You can cycle the slave and actuate the bearing to see if you hear anything, but it takes quite a bit of force to move the pressure plate. There I think you'd just do a visual inspection and see if you see any obvious wear areas that seem out of place. Now you could find a shop with an axle press and move the fingers that way. I'd also look for any strange wear patterns on the flywheel, pressure plate and floater that may indicate some problem you can't see.
Ok thanks for the info. Much appreciated. I figure there will be some obvious wear at the contact point that the grinding sound is coming from? Im not sure what would be making that specific sound .

Users who are viewing this thread