Clutch kit question

K-Dubb

Established Member

Carbd86GT

You're Gator Bait
Established Member
The flywheel that comes in the kit is actually a 63-308-00 which is specific for that kit, can only be used with that clutch.

black03

Authorized Vendor
Authorized Vendor
Thanks. So what is the difference between that one and the standalone?

Thickness of the flywheel for the Street Twin kit is different then the standalone one. So you're unable to use the one in the Street kit with any other clutches while the standalone one will work with most aftermarket ones.

My personal recommendation would be to go with the Mcleod RXT and lightened steel flywheel. It's the same clutch I run in 3 of my cars and it's awesome. By far the best clutch I've ever used which is why I recommend it over the street twin setup.

Let us know if you have any other questions and we'll be glad to help you out.

Thanks, Jared

K-Dubb

Established Member
Hi, thanks. Why steel over aluminum? Doesn't the aluminum one have a steel insert? I would prefer to stick with aluminum for less rotating mass. After researching on here, it seems that aluminum with a steel insert is the way to go.

black03

Authorized Vendor
Authorized Vendor
Hi, thanks. Why steel over aluminum? Doesn't the aluminum one have a steel insert? I would prefer to stick with aluminum for less rotating mass. After researching on here, it seems that aluminum with a steel insert is the way to go.

Steel vs Alum is all personal preference. You'll get people that swear aluminum is better and others that swear steel is better.

My experience with the RXT and lightened steel flywheel is excellent. All 3 of my cars which run them have used the RXT at stock HP levels all the way up to over 1000rwhp. These cars have been driven on both the street and the track and they all performed excellent which is why I recommended the steel flywheel.

I'm sure the aluminum works just as good however my experience is with the steel which is why I recommended it.

Let us know if you have any other questions.

Thanks, Jared

Carbd86GT

You're Gator Bait
Established Member
Steel is going to give you better driving characteristics and consistent launches at the drag strip. More mass = more inertia which helps get the car out of the hole without bogging. The aluminum flywheel is good for cars that car going to spend the majority of the time in the upper RPM and not starting from a stop, like cars on a road course or auto cross.

Users who are viewing this thread