Clutch on side of road. Need help...

SmelchoMG

SmelchoMG
Established Member
Hey guys, Well i lost my clutch today on the side of the road. It was a stock on with 70K on it so i figured it'd go soon but not this soon. I just got my baby a couple months ago so I guess the guy before was really into the throttle... Here's what I am looking for. I'm on a slight budget and if you could help that'd be great. I'm paypal ready and will do checks if I have to. Also any info from you all is great. I'm still soemwhat new to this but please dont rip me off. thanks dudes!!! Here's what I am looking for:

Clutch (not stock but nothing too crazy)
26 spline input
firewall adjuster
double or triple hook
heavy duty throw out bearing
flywheel
lower blower pulley (need for other reason)

I think thats all I need. I'm planning on getting a short throw too but its not a must. Thanks homies!!:rockon::beer:

1QUICK10TH

Just A GT
Established Member
Personally I've been down the used clutch road, do your self a favor and just buy new. You can pick up a spec clutch for your power level for under 400 with pilot bearing and tob without the gamble. Unless of course you can find a member with a nib clutch kit.

Crusher9008

Established Member
Spend the money and get a MCloud twin disc RXT trust me you wont regret it.. the pedal effort is half if not more then stock and the thing grabbs crazy hard.. (sometimes to hard..lol..stall it sometimes.. it only has 250miles on mine).... they are pricey but well worth it.

nycarpenter

Established Member
Buy new and look into your crystal ball before buying or installing anything. No clue what your mods are now but when buying a clutch setup try to look down the road a year or so and buy the clutch that will best suit your future power. I like the spec 3+ and centerforce dual friction clutches but by no means an expert....

SmelchoMG

SmelchoMG
Established Member
Thanks guys. My 03 is a daily driver but she is going to get some toys. I'm only looking to do the blower pulleys and a couple other small things. Right now I just have a JLT intake and Bassani muffler back. I've got to look at a clutch that can be driven daily and have some fun here and there.

Ukfox89

Established Member
Spec 3+ here and love it. Fairly easy pedal effort and not really granny and on/off like most clutches. Buy it and be done. Make sure to space your pivot ball also. I had to take my trans back out cause the pivot ball needed spacing

da28fan

SVT Enthusiast
Established Member
I got the Spec 3+ clutch, steel flywheel, and Liberty Gears 26-spline input shaft. I like to believe I'm pretty indestructible now! Got mine from Lethal.

Bdubbs

u even lift bro?
Established Member
Premium Member
Has anyone heard anything about the promotion clutches? thanks for the input!

Yup, just got about 600 miles on mine, clutch pedal is super light! I'm liking it alot thus far. Since your on a budget like you mentioned I'd really look into promotion, my clutch is rated to 550hp and cost me about 295 bucks.

EDIT: Also do a search on promotion, you'll be hard pressed to find anything negative about them. The only problem is trying to get a hold of Walt or Wally. That would be your best bet as they have 26 spline clutch kits, but don't show them on there site.

Last edited:

SmelchoMG

SmelchoMG
Established Member
Yup, just got about 600 miles on mine, clutch pedal is super light! I'm liking it alot thus far. Since your on a budget like you mentioned I'd really look into promotion, my clutch is rated to 550hp and cost me about 295 bucks.

EDIT: Also do a search on promotion, you'll be hard pressed to find anything negative about them. The only problem is trying to get a hold of Walt or Wally. That would be your best bet as they have 26 spline clutch kits, but don't show them on there site.

I've called them a few times. I'm still trying to have them call me back. I think I'm going with the Promotion clutch. Am I going to be able to use my stock flywheel or do i need another one?

Bdubbs

u even lift bro?
Established Member
Premium Member
I've called them a few times. I'm still trying to have them call me back. I think I'm going with the Promotion clutch. Am I going to be able to use my stock flywheel or do i need another one?

Well if you stick with the stock one, I'd send it to Mcleod and have them resurface it for sure. I believe thats around 80.00 dollars. I ended up going with a fidanza aluminum one. I actually had a loud rattling metallic sound last fall that I thought was clutch related. I didn't get it fixed until this spring, turns out it was the inner ring of the stock flywheel was loose rattling around and it was worn so bad that it was down to the rivets. My car had about 23k miles at that time.

SmelchoMG

SmelchoMG
Established Member
Well if you stick with the stock one, I'd send it to Mcleod and have them resurface it for sure. I believe thats around 80.00 dollars. I ended up going with a fidanza aluminum one. I actually had a loud rattling metallic sound last fall that I thought was clutch related. I didn't get it fixed until this spring, turns out it was the inner ring of the stock flywheel was loose rattling around and it was worn so bad that it was down to the rivets. My car had about 23k miles at that time.

Oh nice, Thanks for the heads up.

Users who are viewing this thread