Clutch Over adjust?

davideast

Established Member
Does anybody KNOW if you can over adjust your clutch causing undue wear on your throw-ou t bearing and/or clutch.

When I got the car it was hard to shift unless you pushed the pedal through the firewall. After adjusting the clutch by pulling up on the pedal you can remove some of the slack in the cable moving the release point up off the firewall but still at the bottom of the throw. By manually manipulating the quadrant and the paw you can move the release point up closer to the top of the throw of the clutch pedal operation allowing for faster speed shifts and better overall feel and comfort. The resultant release point is about 2 to 3 inches from the top rather than 1 to 2 inches from the bottom of the throw.

But what I'm worried about is this adjustment applying constant pressure to the throwout bearing so it is always contacting the clutch thus always spinning causing it to wear prematurely. Or worse, is the clutch not making full contact to the flywheel allowing slipage thus loss of HP as well as premature wear to the clutch.

I don't smell the clutch so I don't think it is slipping. I don't feel any unusual vibrations on the clutch pedal that would indicate that the clutch is being contacted.

The only problem with this adjustment is when I'm racing occasionally the clutch will slip back to the original position causing obvious problems. If this adjustment is acceptable, is there a way to keep the auto-adjustment mechanism from repositioning itself?

Dave in Bama
03yellarvert
mods:
Silencer removed
K&N
2.8" upper pully

94SVT Coupe

Ford Fanatic
Established Member
You did exactly what alot of people have done. Then you found out it doesn't work. :( The only real answer is a nice clutch quadrant/adjustable cable..

davideast

Established Member
I'm not sure how that will help. An adjustable cable or firewall adjuster will just move the "paw" further up on the quadrant. And a new quadrant will only be more reliable (Alum vs. plastic) unless it is a different design with a bigger radius that will pull the clutch cable more with less clutch pedal movement.

Anybody else have experience with the stock clutch cable set up? Is it Ok to have tension on the cable without the clutch pedal being depressed? If so, how far can you go before it starts to effect the actual clutch performance?

Dave in Bama

Users who are viewing this thread