Clutch problems after new cable installed

LV_Ford_Fan

Established Member
I have a 2003 Cobra. I decided to replace the clutch cable since I have about 30K and do a lot of stop and go driving. I used a Ford Racing M-7553-E302 cable and the installation went fine. When I started up the car there was some mechanical noise from the clutch, but after operating the pedal a few times it went away. Now the clutch works but the pedal pressure is about 50% higher than the stock cable. It just does not feel right. Also the pedal vibrates just a little when starting the car.

I thought the clutch fork might have slipped off the pivot ball but I checked and everything looks fine as far as I can tell.

MG0h3

Established Member
Cable might need some lube.

Lift up on the pedal to make sure it’s adjusted correctly; guessing you have the stock quadrant

Sent from my iPhone using svtperformance.com

LV_Ford_Fan

Established Member
Cable might need some lube.

Lift up on the pedal to make sure it’s adjusted correctly; guessing you have the stock quadrant

Sent from my iPhone using svtperformance.com
I should have mentioned that I have a MM quadrant and UPR firewall adjuster that both worked fine on the factory cable. Stock clutch.

LV_Ford_Fan

Established Member
According to the MM web site the FRPP cable (the one I bought) is NOT the same design as the Factory Ford cable. They say it is made in Taiwan (true, that is what it says on the box). I am going to order one from MM.

Bdubbs

u even lift bro?
Established Member
Premium Member
Did you make any adjustments once you installed the new cable? That's likely what it needs. Old ones get stretched out over time.

Sent from my moto g power (2021) using Tapatalk

LV_Ford_Fan

Established Member
Pedal was shaking and making some noise. Turns out that the throwout bearing retainer sleeve is broken. Does anyone know a shop that you would trust in Las Vegas to do a full clutch job?

P49Y-CY

fomocomofo
Established Member
well if you need to have the tob retainer replaced and you don't feel comfortable doing it yourself, you should do search for a transmission shop that is listed as a tremec dealer on tremec's website. jmo.

and be sure to replace it with a billet steel piece, don't put another stamped steel sleeve in. best of luck with it

LV_Ford_Fan

Established Member
Thanks. I think I could do the retainer myself, but I don't want to take on the tranny removal. I make sense to do the clutch and such while it is out.

LV_Ford_Fan

Established Member
Just a follow up on the story... I pulled the tranny and put in the steel retainer sleeve, a Lethal Street 525 clutch, new McLeod Flywheel (I did not know at the time that I could have sent mine in to be refitted with a new plate), MGW shifter, & MM clutch cable, fork, TOB, Pilot etc.

Everything works well when the car is cold, but after it gets hot, the cable gets loose and it is hard to shift. It seems the hotter the car gets the looser the cable gets. I have a MM quadrant and UPR Firewall adjuster. Visually everything looks fine under the dash, at the firewall and the cable is routed properly, etc.

I put a borescope inside near the fork and there are no obvious problems, but you can't see a whole lot.

I just wanted to share this as my next step will be to pull everything out. Not fun in the garage when it a Vegas summer.

01yellercobra

AKA slo984now
Established Member
Are you running headers? I had a problem when I ran uncoated headers where the car would get hard to put in gear when I was sitting still. Like in traffic or in line for a car show. Once cooled off everything worked fine. I ended up putting some heat shield sleeve over the cable where it ran by the headers and never had an issue again.

DSG2003Mach1

Established Member
Premium Member
what makes you say it's loose - describe what's happening.

if you havent already check Promotion Powertrain youtube channel and follow their procedure for adjusting the firewall adjuster

LV_Ford_Fan

Established Member
No headers. Stock Motor. Yes, I saw the Promotion and other videos and the adjustment is fine. The cable gets out off adjustment when hot. If I stop at the store and come back out I have to open the hood and adjust it some more. It is fine after that but on the way home it gets hard to shift again and back in the garage it is loose again. I am thinking it is a faulty clutch diaphragm, but it is only a guess.

shurur

Established Member
Wonder if the upr AL firewall adjuster is somehow turning when hot.

I would dump it for an MM.

Last edited:

LV_Ford_Fan

Established Member
Yes, it appears to be the adjuster. I took a video of the adjuster while I kept cycling the clutch pedal. The black rubber part of the cable that comes in contact with the adjuster twists back and forth a small amount and that causes the adjuster to move. Interestingly enough it only moves the adjuster clockwise so that causes the cable to get loose as I drive. I am going to look for a locking adjuster because the set screw on mine is not easy to get to, if at all.

DSG2003Mach1

Established Member
Premium Member
I was just coming in to ask if it had a lock ring, A set screw would be a real pain in the ass, the lock ring you work with your fingers can be a big enough pain

Users who are viewing this thread