Clutch recommendations - 2013 Mustang GT

JonnyW

Established Member
Hello everyone. Like most, I have severe high RPM lockout. It used to be not as bad and I could always get into gear at 7200 or lower.. now I can't unless its 7000 or lower.

I did order the MGW Race Spec and hope this will help the problems, but I don't expect them to be solved. I know how weak the stock clutch is.

I've looked into the McLeod RXT, pricey but promising. Are there any other clutches/setups you guys would recommend? I'll be pairing it with an aluminum flywheel. I also plan on installing a DDS carbon fiber driveshaft in the future as well.

scott_0

Established Member
I just had an Exedy mach 500 (stage 3) installed, I really like it so far, pedal is a bit firmer but the engagement is nice and smooth

Last edited:

kevin2970

NSFW302
Established Member
Really depends on how much power you put down. I shift at 7200 and got a Exedy stage 2 with spec aluminum flywheel. I'd highly recommend a clutch line as well.

SCalla1384

Established Member
I'm glad someone posted a high rpm lock out thread, and didn't ask basically what bandaids to fix it. Clutch is a permanent fix.

I have a McLeod RXT now. I'm taking it out, hopefully tomorrow and replacing with a spec 2+. It completely solved my high rpm issues. But, the only thing i hate about the rxt is I can't slip it on drag radials at the track. Normal driving, it's fine. But higher rpm slipping doesn't happen.

If you're interested at all, I'll be posting my mcleod rxt and mcleod lightened steel flywheel up for sale. Like I said, hopefully tomorrow.

JonnyW

Established Member
I'm glad someone posted a high rpm lock out thread, and didn't ask basically what bandaids to fix it. Clutch is a permanent fix.

I have a McLeod RXT now. I'm taking it out, hopefully tomorrow and replacing with a spec 2+. It completely solved my high rpm issues. But, the only thing i hate about the rxt is I can't slip it on drag radials at the track. Normal driving, it's fine. But higher rpm slipping doesn't happen.

If you're interested at all, I'll be posting my mcleod rxt and mcleod lightened steel flywheel up for sale. Like I said, hopefully tomorrow.

Thanks for the credit. Solving the problem now makes more sense than dealing with it later on.

Pardon my ignorance, but why would you want clutch slippage in the higher RPMs? Are you talking a smoother engagement so the tires don't spin like mad when you're in your powerband?

I'm very interested in the purchase. PM me with details on the clutch mileage, how long its been installed in the car, etc.

Right now I have a Steeda CAI with Boss 302 manifold, Kooks catback exhaust (soon to be 1 7/8 headers and H pipe) Steeda clutch line, MGW shifter, JHR motor mounts, NT05 305/30/20 rear, 275/35/20 front. 93 V2 BAMA race tune for now until I get full bolt ons. I'm assuming I'm at around 420rwhp, roughly 480 at the crank, but I have yet to dyno the car.

slow306stang

Established Member
Premium Member
Thanks for the credit. Solving the problem now makes more sense than dealing with it later on.

Pardon my ignorance, but why would you want clutch slippage in the higher RPMs? Are you talking a smoother engagement so the tires don't spin like mad when you're in your powerband?

I'm very interested in the purchase. PM me with details on the clutch mileage, how long its been installed in the car, etc.

Right now I have a Steeda CAI with Boss 302 manifold, Kooks catback exhaust (soon to be 1 7/8 headers and H pipe) Steeda clutch line, MGW shifter, JHR motor mounts, NT05 305/30/20 rear, 275/35/20 front. 93 V2 BAMA race tune for now until I get full bolt ons. I'm assuming I'm at around 420rwhp, roughly 480 at the crank, but I have yet to dyno the car.
you want the ability to slip the clutch at high rpm to absorb the drivetrain hit on radial tires. I run an rxt with the lightened steel flywheel.

JonnyW

Established Member
How does the lightened steel flywheel compare to a lightweight aluminum flywheel? Is the lightened steel McLeod's version just a fancy way of marketing for a race ready flywheel or do they also offer a lighter aluminum?

slow306stang

Established Member
Premium Member
How does the lightened steel flywheel compare to a lightweight aluminum flywheel? Is the lightened steel McLeod's version just a fancy way of marketing for a race ready flywheel or do they also offer a lighter aluminum?
McLeod offers both. I personally dont like aluminum for street driving but buy whatever you want.

SCalla1384

Established Member
you want the ability to slip the clutch at high rpm to absorb the drivetrain hit on radial tires. I run an rxt with the lightened steel flywheel.

Exactly. Not slipping where the car isn't holding the power. Slipping like when you're taking off from a red light. On a drag radial I need to slip the clutch fast, if I dump it, I'll just break stuff haha. The rxt grabs pretty hard and just kind of grabs. Doesn't slip. Seems like it's more so after a burnout or just more rpm.

McLeod offers both. I personally dont like aluminum for street driving but buy whatever you want.

This again. Idk, but a few aluminum flywheels in car I've heard have been noisy. I think they kind of transfer some engine harmonics or something?? Lol idk. But for a daily, or track go with lightened steel. I love my flywheel.

I'll shoot you a pm tomorrow after I have the clutch out of the car.

JonnyW

Established Member

Just a heads up, I'd never install a SPEC in any of my cars. The poor reviews have just been floating around too heavily for me to bat an eyelash towards their products.

Exedy, on the other hand, I'm still seriously considering. I just can't comprehend how both clutches would feel in comparison to each other. If the price is right for the RXT, I'll pull the trigger and take it off your hands. I've just made up my mind today thaI'm hopping on the CJM bandwagon for an 8,000 RPM powerband and redline. Much work to be done.

SCalla1384

Established Member
To be honest, I haven't heard anything bad about spec clutches in a couple years. Seems like they really picked up their quality. And the plus series clutches seem good, seemed like before the spec 1 and spec 2 were hit or miss.

Spec also seems like they have pretty good customer service. So if anything does happen, I'll deal with it. Honestly not worried about it, I have faith in it!

Didn't get a chance to pull the trans today man. Not sure when, leaving for vegas Wednesday so won't be for a couple weeks

vergil

Established Member
Yes sir installed a month ago using the stock flywheel. I am still in break in period, pedal distance is shorter(%30-%40 shorter than stock) much smoother I had a crazy backlash especially in the first gear with the stock one, it is gone now. I bought the exedy slave cylinder and sr perf. steel lines I am very happy with the whole package. Pm Alex from American muscle, he gave me a real good deal.

JonnyW

Established Member
Yes sir installed a month ago using the stock flywheel. I am still in break in period, pedal distance is shorter(%30-%40 shorter than stock) much smoother I had a crazy backlash especially in the first gear with the stock one, it is gone now. I bought the exedy slave cylinder and sr perf. steel lines I am very happy with the whole package. Pm Alex from American muscle, he gave me a real good deal.

What do you mean by "backlash?" Are you able to slip the clutch as well? Thanks

kchurley8591

Established Member

Did your RXT chatter at lower speeds and if so, how noticeable was it?

evil281

Established Member
Did your RXT chatter at lower speeds and if so, how noticeable was it?

My RXT chatters at about 1500-2000 rpm in second/third gear. And it only chatters when you try to accelerate at those rpm not while cruising at those levels. I don't find it bad at all because how often do you find yourself at that rpm level trying to accelerate without downshifting?

Users who are viewing this thread