clutch slipping or belt ?? cant tell

Frankycheechoo

Established Member
Hi i have pullied and tuned 04 . i noticed that if im in third or forth around 3,000-4000rpm and i give about half throttle it hesitates and feels like the belt is slipping or hopefully not the clutch . Is this cus im im not in full boost ?? second gear no problem and high speeds through 2,3,4,5 is fine . I know its not like automatic where it gears down for u if u mash the throttle , but is this something normal in a boosted car ??

MG0h3

Established Member
No, doesn’t sound normal.

So the easiest way to tell if that’s clutch is you’ll have the rpms increase along with increased speed displayed on the speedometer without the car accelerating.

Belt slip usually makes some noise, you’ll have a bunch of belt dust, and boost won’t increase like it should.

Sent from my iPhone using svtperformance.com

Frankycheechoo

Established Member
ok so it is belt . i have the 100mm idler on it tho . IM guessing this is normal any standard car thats boosted , if your in a higher gear driving at a rpm below boost and u mash it , should hesitate abit no ?? especially high horse power .
I only have 30,000 kms .

MG0h3

Established Member
Depends on what you’re describing as hesitation. Yes, it may bog or at a minimum just not accelerate as quickly.

You shouldn’t have any bucking or popping. Boost should come in right away.

Maybe take a vid and throw it on here.

Sent from my iPhone using svtperformance.com

Mojo88

"Hammer" Time
Established Member
....So the easiest way to tell if that’s clutch is you’ll have the rpms increase along with increased speed displayed on the speedometer without the car accelerating. ....

Well, this is ALMOST right...... if it's clutch slip (under load) you'll see RPM's increase, but speedometer will remain about the same. 3rd or 4th gear is best to test.

When the clutch starts to fail, you'll typically notice slippage in higher gears (under load). Then, as clutch wears more, you'll notice the slippage in all gears (under lighter loads), and eventually the car won't move (but hopefully you've replaced clutch by then, haha).

Users who are viewing this thread