Clutch Slipping?

biminiLX

never stock
Established Member
Premium Member
The best friend for your clutch is to replace the anemic 3.31 gears.
Stock clutch and 4.10s, probably same price installed.
-J

Stangra

Established Member
As far as manners go, I get a tiny bit of chatter when taking off, but that's my fault for not giving it a lil more gas.
...Or maybe not having the flywheel resurfaced?

The rxt bolts onto your flywheel. So no need to resurface or replace your flywheel too.

What's the reason for resurfacing or replacing the flywheel if op buys the mcleod rxt? The car has 22k miles on it and the rxt discs don't come into contact with flywheel. The rxt is pre-assembled.

The flywheel is a friction surface in direct contact with the 'bottom' clutch disk.

This from the "RST & RXT Street Twin Clutch Installation Instructions":
"To insure proper operation, friction surface of flywheel MUST be resurfaced."

https://www.cjponyparts.com/skin/frontend/cj-pony/default/images/install-pdf/install_mcleod3.pdf
PAGE 4, ITEM 4)
SEE PHOTOS top of PAGE 2

Last edited:

merkyworks

Established Member
Perhaps this is the case with the RST clutch assembly but unless mistaken it is not the case with the RXT assembly. When I had my RXT (model #697507M) installed it didn't require any flywheel resurfacing. The clutch assembly just bolted to the stock flywheel and has its own back plate built into the assembly.

R15393

Established Member
Perhaps you're not familiar with the rxt. It's not necessary to mess with flywheel considering op got 22k miles on car. And how about actually looking at the clutch assembly, before assuming I'm incorrect. The "bottom* clutch pad doesn't do as you describe. But since you linked whatever it was you linked, you must be correct. The rxt is an assembled clutch out of the box and the flywheel touches nothing except the thick metal mounting ring on" bottom" of the rxt.

R15393

Established Member
Perhaps this is the case with the RST clutch assembly but unless mistaken it is not the case with the RXT assembly. When I had my RXT (model #697507M) installed it didn't require any flywheel resurfacing. The clutch assembly just bolted to the stock flywheel and has its own back plate built into the assembly.

You're not incorrect, maybe if the flywheel had way more miles or hard launches, I'd consider replacing it. Op is the original owner and only he knows how he drove it.

Stangra

Established Member

Perhaps you're not familiar with the rxt. It's not necessary to mess with flywheel considering op got 22k miles on car. And how about actually looking at the clutch assembly, before assuming I'm incorrect. The "bottom* clutch pad doesn't do as you describe. But since you linked whatever it was you linked, you must be correct. The rxt is an assembled clutch out of the box and the flywheel touches nothing except the thick metal mounting ring on" bottom" of the rxt.

R15393 is correct. Flywheel is only used to start the car and mount the clutch to with an rxt.

Ahhh! A teachable moment for me. And apologies to those I contradicted here.

Apparently the install instructions from McLeod are misleading (to me anyway)

I read several instruction sheets and watched a YouTube, all titled "RST/RXT" that show the bottom disc mating to the flywheel 'friction' surface. I'll admit I am not familiar with the model #697507M referenced by @merkyworks, but after researching it I find there are at least 2 different instruction sheets : RST & RXT Street Twin Clutch Installation Instructions vs. Installation Instructions for Kit #’s 6915, 6925 & 6975. This last one is for "McLeod RST/RXT Modular Clutch Assembly"
So do RST & RXT clutches come in multiple configurations?
Adding to my confusion, even the instructions for Modular assembly contain a statement about resurfacing the "friction" surfaces of the flywheel, when there are none with this installation.

Last edited:

Draiter

Established Member
Well, had the clutch installed.
For craps and giggles I got a quote from the dealership, $960 before tax, for my American friends, that's $1084 tax in. Lol. Needless to say i don't shite diamonds and work hard for my money i laughed and walked out.
As recommended i went to Steeda.ca Ave had them do it. Great guys. Took me on a moment's notice, 5 hours to install. $570, $644 tax in. No flywheel resurface needed.
Just breaking in the clutch now, but a couple of things i noticed.
1. Much, much softer clutch feel than stock. I was truly amazed by how much softer it was.
2. Although new, the engagement point of the clutch is much closer to the bottom of pedal travel and the pedal feels much more linear (assist spring still in).
3. Higher revs are needed for take off to avoid chatter, especially if coasting in 1st with clutch in and then letting clutch out.
Thank you all for the help and recommendations, it made things much easier.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Mojo88

"Hammer" Time
Established Member
Well, had the clutch installed.
2. Although new, the engagement point of the clutch is much closer to the bottom of pedal travel and the pedal feels much more linear (assist spring still in).
3. Higher revs are needed for take off to avoid chatter......

Yeah, those ^^^^^^^^^^ are the two things I most notice about my RXT. I have T56 Magnum XL and it will grind a little if I don't have the clutch pedal all the way to floor when shifting.... kind of annoying, but I am used to it now.

biminiLX

never stock
Established Member
Premium Member
Good to hear, congrats.
You’ll probably like it better without the stock assist spring.
I didn’t think it mattered much until I took it out, MUCH better without.
It’s worth the 5 minutes of your life once you break the clutch in and no worries.
-J

Users who are viewing this thread