Cobra Clones

1993 Mustang

Established Member
I would like to know how mustang owners feel when owners clone there GT's to 93 Cobra's? Now keep in mind there are GT owners who clone there cars and smartly say there car is not a Cobra, but there are the people who say "yeah, it's a cobra , but when you look at the year of the car, it's a 86!" Just wondering some comments.

93Cobra#2771

SVT God
Established Member
I don't mind someone doing the ground effects/wing, etc, but when they put the snake badges on, it starts getting on my nerves. That's just me, though...

93snake93

Established Member
I really didn't care until Jeffo made the 93 replica wheels. Now I know how all those Shelby guys feel. On the bright side I know mine is real.

kyStang1889

Ford Tech
Established Member
But some of them are real cobras, I happen to have a 1988.
Its still not a real cobra... I dont own one but it does bother me when ppl put cobra badges on it, other than that i think its ok, and yes WE ARE JEALOUS! I would love to buy one but i just can't justify it yet i'd really like to have an R

Darren5.0L

Triple Supercharged!
Established Member
kyStang1889 said:
[

Its still not a real cobra...

What makes it not a Cobra?

If Ford calls it a Cobra, I believe then it's a Cobra.
90cobragtws.jpg

Last edited:

LEE93COBRA

broke
Established Member
Darren5.0L said:
What makes it not a Cobra?

If Ford calls it a Cobra, I believe then it's a Cobra.
90cobragtws.jpg

Good question.
I will say that most people will not consider the 'decal packaged' cobras that were produced in the mid to late 70's and the ones exported to Canada as real cobras.

My opinion is on the reasoning behind that is, none of the above mentioned cobras came with performance enhancements over the GT (or other V-8 models of that year) nor were they produced by a specific group within Ford and sold with certificate of Authenticity

LEE93COBRA

broke
Established Member
oh and one more thing. The 'GT' in your above posted window sticker is what throws the real cobra out.

BADBOYSPACK

Ford Tech
Established Member
WOW $26,940, for a wanna be cobra, talk about a screw job gezzzz. I agree with Lee on this one, I dont consider that a real cobra atleast not an offical SVT Cobra. The late model I believe the 1978 or so Mustang King Cobra or Cobra II as they were also know as was a Ford produced Cobra, but not as we all know the Cobra to be

Darren5.0L

Triple Supercharged!
Established Member
$26.000 CDN funds for a convertable.

I haven't once said SVT, by your logic the past two generations of Cobras simply don't exist. (74-78 as well as the 79-81 US Cobras, and further the CDN Cobras of 86-92)
If these aren't Cobras then why did Ford drop the name Cobra from Canadian cars in 1993?
The answer is because the SVT developed Mustang took the name to the Speciality Performance level it holds today.

I'm sure there are many vintage Cobra II owners who will attest that their cars are indeed "real" Cobras.

93Cobra#2771

SVT God
Established Member
Guys - the Canadian version of the GT were called "Cobra GT". Ford did this to keep the copyright/trademark "Cobra", as they were about to lose it.

It is not, however, an "SVT Cobra"...

Users who are viewing this thread