cobra irs vs solid axle

sunburned

I miss my torque
Established Member
Who here has had a solid axle and IRS in the same car?

**raises hand**

For street driving, the IRS was wayyyy better and more predictable around turns, especially bumpy ones. The solid would jump all over the place if I hit a bump going around a bend. Granted neither was one very modded. Just springs and shocks in the solid, and springs, shocks and a few bushings in the IRS. Wheelhop wasn't too bad with the IRS, only in certain situations. The IRS just felt so much smoother in everyday driving, hard street driving, and even autocross.

Plus I got my IRS as a straight trade :D Thanks to TRBO VNM.

wheelhopper

Established Member
^What kind of G ratings do you get with that Jeep, and is it a SRA or a IRS?

:poke:

Sorry for the hijack, please return to original thread.

Lumpydogs

Established Member
Side Load...What's it matter to you bolt drivers. I see you guys doing the Lateral Hippity Hop through the corners. :poke: I just can't figure out how you get through them so quickly with the arss end stepping out :shrug:.

gcassidy

One more lap!
Established Member
Side Load...What's it matter to you bolt drivers. I see you guys doing the Lateral Hippity Hop through the corners. :poke: I just can't figure out how you get through them so quickly with the arss end stepping out :shrug:.

I think it has something to do with balancing out the auto tranny with the weight of the load in the bed. :shrug:

BlackBolt9

Asphalt Donuts
Established Member

It's all about truck control, just gotta drive it like you stole it:banana: I think you are mistaken anyways, sideways just looks faster;-)

I think it has something to do with balancing out the auto tranny with the weight of the load in the bed. :shrug:

The auto tranny really isn't that bad, as long as you anticipate what it is going to do, which really isn't that hard once you've been in it for awhile. The weight distribution isn't nearly as bad as everyone seems to think, F/R is like 56/44.

ac427cobra

FULLTILTBOOGIERACING.COM
Super Moderator
I just can't figure out how you get through them so quickly with the arss end stepping out :shrug:.

These are the things that teach you good car control skills! :-D

When you're going so fast the front AND rear are sliding, then you're practicing car control skills! :dancenana::dancenana:

David Hester

Established Member
Had both. I like modified solid axle better.
Griggs, panhard rod works better out of corners.
Bumpy road, IRS is probably better. Not many bumpy road courses and I don't drive hard enough for it to matter on the street. ;-)

gpsmatt

Established Member
as i said I already have griggs pan hard barr and evm three link. I also havea griggs tq arm going to try the 3 link first.

sprint200

Established Member
as i said I already have griggs pan hard barr and evm three link. I also havea griggs tq arm going to try the 3 link first.

I have a Griggs TA along with their watts link, anti-roll bar and coilovers. I can't imagine the "retrofit" IRS being better than this.

But, imho, you shouldn't be trying "piece-meal" suspension parts. A system that was designed to work together is going to perform far better. I say "go with a full Griggs setup".

gcassidy

One more lap!
Established Member
I just re-read this entire thread, and I have a question for gpsmatt (op).

What do you plan on doing with your car. You sig says what you have on it, and while we've been having fun declaring which rear ends we personally like (Jamie-Lynn Sigler?), I don't know if we can really help you without knowing the intended purpose you plan to put it to.

Do you mostly open track? Auto cross? Just want to build a killer street car? You're probably not working on a budget like many poboy racers if you have tri-links and torque arms laying around waiting to be tried out.

Just thought it should be asked. :shrug:

[edit] never mind. I just clicked on the link under your sig, and I see what you're doing with it. You do like working on cars. :thumbsup:

Last edited:

gpsmatt

Established Member
I have a Griggs TA along with their watts link, anti-roll bar and coilovers. I can't imagine the "retrofit" IRS being better than this.

But, imho, you shouldn't be trying "piece-meal" suspension parts. A system that was designed to work together is going to perform far better. I say "go with a full Griggs setup".

Right.. imo griggs is kind of "bunk" Ive just about broken every piece of the pan hard bar and have made my own parts and ended up just fully making my mounts from the frame from scratch..

IMG_4850.jpg
IMG_4836.jpg

IMG_4866.jpg
IMG_4868.jpg
IMG_4871.jpg

Most recently the peice that goes from the axle tube to the lower control arm bolt to stabilize the hole thing straight up ripped off broke the welds on the griggs stuff.

so now I am gunna fab up a new piece that bolts on the axle move it all the way out and make a new bar so its longer i think besides the poor build quality that is the griggs pan hard bars only short coming.

IMG_4872.jpg

I just re-read this entire thread, and I have a question for gpsmatt (op).

What do you plan on doing with your car. You sig says what you have on it, and while we've been having fun declaring which rear ends we personally like (Jamie-Lynn Sigler?), I don't know if we can really help you without knowing the intended purpose you plan to put it to.

Do you mostly open track? Auto cross? Just want to build a killer street car? You're probably not working on a budget like many poboy racers if you have tri-links and torque arms laying around waiting to be tried out.

Just thought it should be asked.

[edit] never mind. I just clicked on the link under your sig, and I see what you're doing with it. You do like working on cars.

I am the definition of a poboy racer. picked up the griggs phb and ta in a trade for some parts + 50 bucks only problem is its the standard duty one but if i dont launch it too hard it should be fine. And the evm tri link i got for 175 and i welded up the stuff for my budddies mm ta that went in the car the tri link came out of. More than anything its a street car but i like to think of it as a track car.. I just like to have fun with it. I guess the main thing that turned me onto a cobra irs is the ability to get some rear camber. Not all of us have 4500 to shell out on a cambered rear end.

Last edited:

gcassidy

One more lap!
Established Member
I am the definition of a poboy racer. picked up the griggs phb and ta in a trade for some parts + 50 bucks only problem is its the standard duty one but if i dont launch it too hard it should be fine. And the evm tri link i got for 175 and i welded up the stuff for my budddies mm ta that went in the car the tri link came out of. More than anything its a street car but i like to think of it as a track car.. I just like to have fun with it. I guess the main thing that turned me onto a cobra irs is the ability to get some rear camber. Not all of us have 4500 to shell out on a cambered rear end.

Awesome. I envy you that you can do so much of that work yourself. When I try that I end up shelling out even more for someone to fix it. :bash:

Good luck. And if you do end up wanting to pitch the tri link, well, most of my parts started out used also. :thumbsup:

GR-40 Pat

Established Member
First I would like to say that I no longer work for Griggs Racing and things I say are not coming from anyone at Griggs Racing Products Inc., but rather based on my own experience having worked for them for over 5 years.

Right.. imo griggs is kind of "bunk" Ive just about broken every piece of the pan hard bar and have made my own parts and ended up just fully making my mounts from the frame from scratch..

SNIP Images
Most recently the peice that goes from the axle tube to the lower control arm bolt to stabilize the hole thing straight up ripped off broke the welds on the griggs stuff.

so now I am gunna fab up a new piece that bolts on the axle move it all the way out and make a new bar so its longer i think besides the poor build quality that is the griggs pan hard bars only short coming.

In my experience, the only panhard failures that I have seen have been caused not by "poor build quality" but by improper installation and/or maintanence. The axle bracket that you broke as described, is caused by the axle bracket rotating on the axle, which is caused by the bolts (axle bracket) being improperly torqued or over torqued.

Griggs is also the only Mfg. that I'm aware of that offers a lifetime replacement warranty on their products: Warranty
Although it does not work for you since it is non-transferable and your parts are second hand, some exceptions have been made and it would atleast be worth contacting them if you have an issue.

Did you replace the hardware when you installed these second hand parts? It is possible that even if you tightened the Axle bracket bolts to the required spec they may have already been stretched from the first installation.

While you may have followed all the instructions, do you know that the first owner did the same?

MPB 1200A Panhard Bar Instructions

Griggs Racing from Instructions said:
NOTE: It is advised to re torque all bolts after about 1000 miles of usage. The MPB 1200 A Panhard bars assembly was designed for spirited street driving. If the car is to see track or autocross use, it is advised to weld one 3/4” long bead on both sides of axle clamp to axle housing, and from leg tab to control arm bracket. (More than ¾” of weld may bend axle housing, affecting rear tire alignment). Also re-torque all bolts and jam nuts after the first track session.
Further, as with all vehicles seeing high performance track use, it is recommended that all suspension bolts and components be inspected regularly and fasteners be re-torque periodically

In regards to the Cambered rear end; For a someone that wants to gain every possible advantage on the comp. and has the money to spend, it's a great thing to have.

However for the standard DD street car I would recommend spending money on other things.

Don't get me wrong the rear end is sweet and has it's advanatages, availble with or without camber, 9" tappered bearings and axles without the heavy 9" housing, No C-Clips.

Last edited:

gpsmatt

Established Member
thanks guys it helps and saves me lots of $ knowing how to do all that stuff

GR-40 Pat

I think the griggs stuff is great just not for a street car. I have read about many ta failures k members cracking etc etc..

Anyways the PHB thats good information thanks I did use new hardware and it all was tqed to spec. I tore apart the drop down off of the frame first then fixed that and it worked great untill the axle piece broke. I also have 4:30s and 275 R compounds I am not verry nice to my car on the street so i think some of my beating helped **** up the phb.

98' GT

Established Member
I've never drove an IRS setup, but I have no problems at all with my SRA. I wouldn't change it.

Users who are viewing this thread