Cobra Jet manifold reworking

JohnRichard

MT82 Speed Shiftin Maniac
Established Member
Has anyone nailed down what rear gears to run with this setup and a MT82... I am running a 26x11.5x15 tire.. I know 3.55 are too tall I have to spin out of the hole to get a decent 11 ET. Just would like to do this one more time seeing it takes a few hours to do... Thanks for any help.

twistedneck

Established Member
Has anyone nailed down what rear gears to run with this setup and a MT82... I am running a 26x11.5x15 tire.. I know 3.55 are too tall I have to spin out of the hole to get a decent 11 ET. Just would like to do this one more time seeing it takes a few hours to do... Thanks for any help.

I run a 275/50/15 (26" tire) Hoosier drag radial with my M6 - 3.15 gear.

Goes through the traps at 6700 rpm, 122 mph in fourth gear. 11.6 ET.

I does not hook however, launch at 3500 bog, launch at 4000 spin.. slip the clutch it hooks but nothing better than a 1.8 60'... lot of work to do. my shocks and springs are setup for road racing and i'm sure that does not help.

86merc

Established Member

For a M6 car a 3.90 and 28" diameter tire is probably your best bet. The 3.73 and 28" I had worked well. But could have been higher in the engine RPM at the finish line.

JayVee

REAL is Rare
Established Member
late to the party...But I also have joined the CJ Party after my blown engine failure back in the 1st week of July. At that point, I was using the BOSS 302 Intake Manifold and BBK Throttle Body. This time around, MMR Street Mod Short Block (11:1) and the Cobra Jet Manifold with the FR SUper Cobra Jet Mono Blade TB. Still getting wrapped up as we speak. Almost back on the road ;)

CobraJet50_zps37ad9f9e.jpg

Last edited:

JUIC3D

Boost Junkie
Established Member
I saw collins update. She looks great. What are the plans for the new motor? Keep it n/a?

Bullitt 3309

Established Member
late to the party...But I also have joined the CJ Party after my blown engine failure back in the 1st week of July. At that point, I was using the BOSS 302 Intake Manifold and BBK Throttle Body. This time around, MMR Street Mod Short Block (11:1) and the Cobra Jet Manifold with the FR SUper Cobra Jet Mono Blade TB. Still getting wrapped up as we speak. Almost back on the road ;)

CobraJet50_zps37ad9f9e.jpg

Nice, welcome to the CJ Club. It loves to rev... :beer:

redline5.0

Established Member
And he now has rods and pistons capable of 8000rpm where this mani lives. I'm stuck at 7500 w my setup and its difficult to hold the beast down.

I got a built motor with a cj as well and the extra 500 rpms seem to go by fast lol. From what shaun told me it's not worth going over 7950 though....at least he doesn't in his tunes.

01bluesnake

Established Member
Just moving the thread up, so guys can see what kind of gains can be had by some clean up of the CJ manifold. Even with the changes in casting i've seen, they are still shifted with edges and lips around the Throttle body entrance and runners to flange connections. A few that have come in more recent, have been even worse than some early versions but still very able to be cleaned up perfectly.

01bluesnake

Established Member
Specifically for the manifold paint work, i do not. If you don't want to tackle it yourself, i can do it, just have to try and figure out what kind of time is involved to price accordingly. I do port work on the manifolds, and can knock out two things at once if you also wanted the port work done on it.

Famine

Established Member
Well it would depend on pricing. I have looked over some of your stuff and I'm fairly confident I could do the porting with my work tools. As far as the painting, I've painted corporate and military aircraft but have never really had to tackle something like that. Are there more pics of that one you know of? It looks like the ribs on the top were shaved. Also the emblem looks super imposed which I like.

01bluesnake

Established Member
If your fairly confident with the port work, and have experience painting, i would almost say go for it. I've seen a few more pics of a painted CJ, just have to find them. Yeah, shaved and smoothed everything but the lettering.

Users who are viewing this thread