Cobra Mustang IRS Delrin/UHMW/Alum bushing kit w/adj. sway bar links & bumpsteer kit

SilverNotch

Established Member
I'm pulling the differential out tomorrow to install the rear bushings since I installed the fronts already. Would you recommend tapping and installing a drain plug? I was thinking it will make it easier next time to change the fluid. I don't wan't to do anything that will weaken the housing so just just and feed back would be nice. Thanks.

ac427cobra

FULLTILTBOOGIERACING.COM
Super Moderator
I'm pulling the differential out tomorrow to install the rear bushings since I installed the fronts already. Would you recommend tapping and installing a drain plug? I was thinking it will make it easier next time to change the fluid. I don't wan't to do anything that will weaken the housing so just just and feed back would be nice. Thanks.

The bottom of the diff housing (not the cover) is extremely thick and will NOT weaken it in the least. You can easily drill and tap a drain plug in there while the diff is out. Just be careful not to get any drilling or tapping chips into the differential.

diffcasesuction.JPG

:thumbsup::coolman::beer:

SilverNotch

Established Member
I don't know anything about tapping a drain plug. Would this be bad for a beginner or should I stop by a shop with the differential to have it tapped?

ac427cobra

FULLTILTBOOGIERACING.COM
Super Moderator
I don't know anything about tapping a drain plug. Would this be bad for a beginner or should I stop by a shop with the differential to have it tapped?

Drilling and tapping really is not that hard or difficult but if you're intimidated by the project you might be better off having a shop do that for you.

ac427cobra

FULLTILTBOOGIERACING.COM
Super Moderator
What will I need for the project or do you have a write up for this?

You will need a Mustang or a Cobra with an IRS, a garage (actually the garage is optional) a jack, some jackstands, some hand tools, a desire to improve your rear suspension and a friend to help.

From the FAQ on our site:

FTBR FAQ's

We have a page on our web site dedicated to the installation process complete with photos and installation tips for the install:

Installation Photos and Tips

We also have recently added a series of installation videos to assist customers in the installation of the kit. They are located on our videos page:

FTBR Informational Videos

It's not an overly hard job but it is a little time consuming.

ac427cobra

FULLTILTBOOGIERACING.COM
Super Moderator
Sorry i was talking about getting the drain plug install.

Whoops, my bad. No sorry we don't have a write up for this. You can check out a number of threads on SVTP talking about diff coolers and there is a lot of information included in them.

If you want to install a 3/8" standard tapered pipe thread, according to this site:

Tap Drill Sizes

You're going to need a 37/64" drill bit. I used a 9/16" drill because it was close enough and I already had one. Drill a pilot hole first. Use cutting oil. Tap the drilled hole with the 3/8" pipe tap and make sure no chips get into your differential. Use cutting oil on the tap. Have the rear cover off and have something to catch the chips.

Pretty straight forward actually.

Hope that helps.

SilverNotch

Established Member
Thanks Bruce, I tackled the front and rear diff bushings. What a job to do this by yourself. Everything went smoothly I got everything buttoned up except the catback and rear brakes. I'll start on it first thing tomorrow morning. Depending on how sore I am tomorrow I might polish my magnaflow catback. My guess is I'll be pretty sore. Also, a local shop pressed the rear busshings in for me free of charge. I can't wait to test drive and not have a clunk when shifting.

SilverNotch

Established Member
Ok, so I took the car for a test drive after getting the front and rear differential bushings done and its a lot better. Not so much shifting in the drive train and it feels so much more solid. I can't wait to get the rest of the bushings and finish the job. Hopefully those will be easier. By the way before I had a slight hum from the front aluminum bushings as I installed them separately. Well, I took out 1 washer from each side of the lower mounts and it doesn't hum barely at all. Also, one note when doing these bushings is watch out for the differential breather tube. I accidently flipped mine and the whole underneath of the car was covered in gear oil. I hate that nasty stuff, the worst smelling fluid from a car. As, for the tap for the differential drain plug I'll do that later when I do the rest of the bushings.

SilverNotch

Established Member
Will the Standard IRS bumpsteer kit with upgraded toe links: FT 1800 fix all the bumpsteer problems with most lowered Cobra irs?

ac427cobra

FULLTILTBOOGIERACING.COM
Super Moderator
Will the Standard IRS bumpsteer kit with upgraded toe links: FT 1800 fix all the bumpsteer problems with most lowered Cobra irs?

For the most part, yes.

The subframe on the '99, 2000 R and the '01 had a shorter inner toe link mounting bracket which limited range for adjusting bumpsteer. This bracket was made larger (taller, which allowed more adjustment) for the Terminators.

In some instances you may be limited as to how low you can get your inner toe link mounting point when adjusting bumpsteer on the earlier models.

Hope that helps.

SilverNotch

Established Member
Ok, well my car has an 03 cobra irs so I should be good right? Also, are you considering any black Friday or cyber Monday sales?

ac427cobra

FULLTILTBOOGIERACING.COM
Super Moderator
Ok, well my car has an 03 cobra irs so I should be good right? Also, are you considering any black Friday or cyber Monday sales?

Bryan:

At this time we are not planning a Black Friday or Cyber Monday sales at this time. That may change, we don't know.

Sorry we can't be more difinitive.

The FTBR Team

Jmccormick

TERMN8D
Established Member
what part of your kit would replace the diff brace I see everyone running.

I see a lot of Billet FloW IRS braces.

I am interested in your compete bushing kit and tool.

ac427cobra

FULLTILTBOOGIERACING.COM
Super Moderator
what part of your kit would replace the diff brace I see everyone running.

I see a lot of Billet FloW IRS braces.

I am interested in your compete bushing kit and tool.

Sorry I missed your post here. :(

The best solution that we have for the weak, egg shell thin OEM cover is the new upgraded Ford Racing cover we offer on our site. It's part number FT 1350 and FT 1350M for the milled version if you're utilizing our Delrin isolated rear diff lowering mount FT 1401. They can be found on the order page on our web site:

FTBR Order Page

The rear cover brace is a band-aid for the weak OEM cover. The real fix would be the new Ford Racing cover.

Hope that helps.

ac427cobra

FULLTILTBOOGIERACING.COM
Super Moderator
For all of you that have been asking and waiting for another Full Tilt Boogie Racing sale, we are pleased to announce the Full Tilt Boogie Racing December 2012 Holiday Sale on all of our IRS parts.

We have not had a sale on our IRS parts for two years so if you've been waiting for a sale, now is your opportunity to purchase the finest IRS bushing kit available on the market today.

If you are sick and tired of putting up with wheel hop, broken IRS components along with poor ride and handling, now is the time to fix your rear suspension once and for all.

Our December Holiday Sale is 10% off on all IRS parts and if that's not enough for you we are offering free shipping on orders sent in with a check using our order form* found on our order page:

FTBR Order Page

This saves us Pay-Pal and credit card processing fees on those transactions. We are happy to pass this savings onto our customers.

Click on the order form on our site, once the document downloads to your computer, fill in the quantities of parts you wish to order. The form will automatically calculate the total with discount. Print two copies, one to send to us with your payment and one for your records. Personal checks need to be held for 10 business days. Bank checks and money order ship the same day they are received.

Let us know if you have any questions.

The FTBR Team

rrpederson

lookin 4 parts
Established Member
Hi Bruce, my name is Richie, I purchased and installed one of your full bushing kits and want to start out by saying that it is truly amazing. This car squats and digs as well or better than my old C6Z06 did when I had it. It's apparent that you have really figured out the cobra IRS. Thanks again for all the personal customer service that I got from you during the install, and also months after with advise about the what type of rear suspension to go with.

ac427cobra

FULLTILTBOOGIERACING.COM
Super Moderator
Hi Bruce, my name is Richie, I purchased and installed one of your full bushing kits and want to start out by saying that it is truly amazing. This car squats and digs as well or better than my old C6Z06 did when I had it. It's apparent that you have really figured out the cobra IRS. Thanks again for all the personal customer service that I got from you during the install, and also months after with advise about the what type of rear suspension to go with.

Richie:

Thank you for your comments on the bushing kit. We appreciate the vote of confidence on our products. We never get tired of hearing from happy customers. :-D

Comparing a Mustang to a Z06 Corvette is a tall order. We're glad you have the personal experience with both cars and can now compare the Corvette with your Cobra having installed our kit. We hope you are enjoying your car.

Thank you again for your review. All of us at Full Tilt Boogie Racing appreciate it.

Sincerely,

The FTBR Team

Users who are viewing this thread