Cobra Mustang IRS Delrin/UHMW/Alum bushing kit w/adj. sway bar links & bumpsteer kit

brucesvt

Established Member
Hi bruce,
by months end i will be installing a fr500 irs front diff brace, Full Tilt rear differential mount bushings,billetflow irs brace. my car is just my summer weekend car will this be enough? i never take it to the track or anything do i need anything else to for 99 IRS.

Last edited:

ac427cobra

FULLTILTBOOGIERACING.COM
Super Moderator
Hi bruce,
by months end i will be installing a fr500 irs front diff brace, Full Tilt rear differential mount bushings,billetflow irs brace. my car is just my summer weekend car will this be enough? i never take it to the track or anything do i need anything else to for 99 IRS.

Your plan to fix the differential mounts is a good one but I don't see a mention of a front diff mount bushing? What are you planning there?

Once you have the differential mounts fixed the differential will be stabilized and protected, but you've done nothing for raising the efficiency of the IRS. Do you know that uneasy feeling of not knowing what the back end of your car is going to do when you launch it hard or push it hard in a corner? That is caused by control arm deflection from control arms mounted in soft rubber bushings, poor bumpsteer curves and a weak toe link.

The biggest problem with the IRS is, it is half as efficient as the front suspension because it has twice as many control arms as the front suspension. And to make matters even worse, the rear suspension is also expected to supply propulsion for the vehicle. All of these control arms are mounted in rubber bushings from the factory and these rubber bushings are allowing all FOUR of your IRS control arms to deflect to where ever they desire. Unless you replace those control arm bushings with Delrin, you will continue to have control arm deflection. That is problem #1.

Problem #2 is poor bumpsteer curves with the weak OEM toe link assembly. So you have weakness and a poor bumpsteer curve to go with it. These need to be upgraded as well.

Then and only then will you have a rear suspension that does not make you uncomfortable when you drive it hard.

I hope that helps.

:thumbsup::coolman::beer:

ac427cobra

FULLTILTBOOGIERACING.COM
Super Moderator
Over the years, we have been telling people that depending on how serious they are about drag racing, when they get close to 1,000 RWHP you are pushing the limits of an upgraded IRS. That theory has changed somewhat recently. Read on.......

We have had customers in the past with 700, 800 and more horsepower and they have told us our bushing kit has made an unbelievable difference in straight line performance and the way their car rides and handles. Yes, it actually rides better. :-D

Until a customer recently came along by the name of Nick, we at Full Tilt Boogie Racing are starting to think a little differently now. Here's a link to a SVTP thread about his car, which by the way is on the cover and a feature car in the January 2014 issue of 5.0 Magazine:

http://www.svtperformance.com/forums/terminator-talk-229/974649-months-5-0-magazine.html

After hearing Nick's story, about a Cobra, running an IRS with our Full Tilt Boogie Racing IRS bushing kit with OVER 1,300 RWHP, I'm starting to rethink what I tell our customers now.

Before the 5.0 magazine article, Nick came to us wanting to add a front and rear lightweight drag race set of two piece rotors to his car. This is not something we normally stocked but we made it happen for him for the photo shoot.

Yes he easily runs 9's with his FTBR equipped IRS. No doubt there are lots of other things he's done to his car to run those kinds of numbers. But putting the power down, is very important. So don't be so quick to judge the capabilities of the Cobra IRS with some upgrades.

:thumbsup::coolman::beer:

Jhorner92

So this is a fairly old post, but is there any way that the IRS bushing kit is still available? I think the kit name was FR 5000..
Ive checked a few sites and everywhere it's sold out. I don't know if it's just that great of a product, or if it is just out of production.
After 16 years my stock bushings are just a tad worn out. Haha

vertigyn

Established Member
So this is a fairly old post, but is there any way that the IRS bushing kit is still available? I think the kit name was FR 5000..
Ive checked a few sites and everywhere it's sold out. I don't know if it's just that great of a product, or if it is just out of production.

http://fulltiltboogieracing.com/

All their parts are for sale there.

ruststang94

Established Member

Thanks Vertigyn,

Yes all our parts are in stock and can be found on our website. http://www.fulltiltboogieracing.com/1999-2004_Cobra_Suspension_Parts_and_Tools.htm

Bushing kit part numbers are FT 5000 and FT 5001. If you have any questions about these please feel free to contact us at [email protected]

Like us on Facebook https://www.facebook.com/FullTiltBoogieRacing?ref=hl
logo.jpg

ac427cobra

FULLTILTBOOGIERACING.COM
Super Moderator
We are having a small promotion that will last until Labor day Monday, September 7.
We will take $50 off the price of our FT 1350M Milled Ford Racing reinforced diff cover when purchased with the FT 5001 kit. That's basically getting the milling done for free. Don't let this amazing deal slip by.

We also get many inquiries from Cobra owners wondering which of our bushing kits might be best for their particular application. So hopefully this will help:

One thing you need to be aware of is the SN-95 chassis requires a good quality FLSFC as a first mod. This is a CRITICAL addition for owners of convertibles. All of this is spelled out in the FAQ on our web site:

http://fulltiltboogieracing.com/faqs.htm

If you are interested in the IRS bushing kit, the best thing to do would be to go to our web site:

http://fulltiltboogieracing.com/index.htm

We have an order page that you can order parts paying via Pay-Pal or with a credit card:

http://fulltiltboogieracing.com/Choose_Your_Mustang.htm

At the minimum you want the FT 5000 bushing kit, $695, which now includes the upgraded front subframe mounting bolts FT 1600. If you're doing the job yourself you're also going to want to get the OEM bushing removal tool set FT 2100 for $80. You will receive a $65 refund when you return the removal tools. In the rare case you have a driveline vibe now, you're going to want to consider the FT 5001 bushing kit, $795, which includes the Delrin isolated rear diff lowering mount FT 1401. This will allow you to completely optimize the driveline angles in your car. Or if you have upgraded power levels you will want to opt for the FT 5001 kit in order to receive the stronger Delrin isolated rear diff lowering mount.

If you have upgraded power, like to drag race, road race or simply want to improve the cornering capability of your car, you're also going to want to consider a few other things. First would be one of our upgraded toe link and bumpsteer kits, FT 1800 or FT 1860, $165 and $239 respectively. The bumpsteer and upgraded toe link kits are very important for drag racing and road racing to optimize the IRS. Secondly, you'd want to consider protecting the egg shell thin OEM Diff cover with a rear cover brace at the absolute minimum. Or to do the job right, upgrade to the new Ford Racing rear diff cover FT 1350 or the machined Ford Racing rear diff cover FT 1350M (see below for more info). This is essential for drag racing but is also has provisions for a diff cooler if you plan on road racing or serious track day duty. The upgraded Ford Racing rear cover significantly raises the durability of the IRS and prevents leaking rear covers.

NOTE: If you are combining our FT 1401 Delrin isolated rear diff lowering mount (included in the FT 5001 kit) AND the new Ford Racing diff cover you are going to have to opt for the FT 1350M milled Ford Racing cover we offer because lowering the rear of the differential will cause clearance issues with the inner toe link mounts on the subframe.

If you're interested in saving 5% by sending a check, you can go to this link:

http://fulltiltboogieracing.com/Order_form.htm

and download one of the order forms on that page. Fill the form out on your computer and it will automatically calculate prices, discount and freight for you, print it out and mail it in with your payment.

You will also find a link on our site for installation tips and photos:

http://fulltiltboogieracing.com/installation.htm

There are many benefits of the Full Tilt Boogie Racing IRS bushing kit. It raises the efficiency level of the IRS, it eliminates wheel hop, you will regain control of the rear end of your car which is important for everyday driving and it's also critical for drag racers, road racers and track day participants. The IRS is half as efficient as the front suspension because it has twice as many control arms. When these control arms are mounted in rubber, they deflect to the path of least resistance and not where you want them positioned for maximum efficiency. Something you don't have now with an OEM rubber or aftermarket poly bushed IRS assembly.

Let us know if you have any further questions, we'll be glad to address them.

Thanks for your interest in Full Tilt Boogie Racing products.

The FTBR Team

Here's a link to the sale button on our order page:

http://www.fulltiltboogieracing.com/1999-2004_Cobra_Suspension_Parts_and_Tools.htm#Labor_Day_Sale

For more details contact us at [email protected]

ac427cobra

FULLTILTBOOGIERACING.COM
Super Moderator
We are pleased to announce we are having a sale on our FTBR suspension kits and products for the first time since 2012. This is the first time in three years we've put these products on sale so better not hesitate if fixing your suspension is on your to do list.

This sale includes all FTBR manufactured products for SN-95, S-197 and S-550 models. Here's a link to our sale page:

http://fulltiltboogieracing.com/FTBR_2015_Holiday_Sale.htm

We are offering a 10% discount on all orders. This sale will run until the end of the year.

:thumbsup: :coolman: :beer:

03 DSG Snake

Unknown Cyborg
Established Member
Any chance the machined diff cover only will be on the list? I have the rest of the bushings installed.

Users who are viewing this thread