Cobra R Values

1993cobramustan

P'O'd SVT POSTER
Established Member
I must admit I bought my R's for investment, don't drive them, but take them to as many car shows as I can (trailered), so that Ford guys can go over them with a "fine-tooth comb" and take pics, to see how these cars looked and were finished as they came from the factory......I actually get a lot of enjoyment over the reaction and interest they collect at the shows.....Many owners of these cars never take them to shows (So. Calif).......As I have stated before, they are relativeley affordable now, so that if anyone wants one or all 3, now is the time to start purchasing before they become a "rich-man's toy"......I doubt we will ever see an SVT R model or Shelby R model again.....In relation to the 150-300K Shelbys, Boss 302 and Boss 429's , the R-Model is a bargain, and like stated before, the age group that wants them will be buying hard in the next 5 to 10 years.....A total run of approximately 650 units for the SVT R Model, tells me that other than recession and war, these cars will be on an upward price spiral during the next 10 years, probably more predictable than the Stock Market.........

b4409

Established Member
Just remember . . . the most valuble Boss cars and Shelbys are the ones that have been thrashed most on the race course . . .

Life is short - drive it!

Robert M

800 HORSE FUN!!
Established Member
b4409 said:
Just remember . . . the most valuble Boss cars and Shelbys are the ones that have been thrashed most on the race course . . .

Life is short - drive it!

And........... that would be the top winning cars from that day, the ones with much magazine/media coverage, consistant winning seasons, big name drivers, teams, sponsors, etc. If a car is built by its manufacturer strickly as a race car (not street legal) then racing and log books are a huge deal. On the other hand if a car is built and intended as a race car, but fully street legal, a whole new group of buyers are out there wanting to own one.

R

Last edited:

1995COBRA-R

20 Year Member
Established Member
Premium Member
1993cobramustan said:
...probably more predictable than the Stock Market.........

I'd say it depends on your area of competence. I've managed to enjoy a fairly decent job of making returns in the stock market. My college degrees and experience have allowed me to avoid the pitfalls and manage the normal general rise of the markets (i.g., the Dow was 1000 when I started; it's now 10,868.38).

I probably couldn't make a dime in the car market in a million years.

You need to stay with what you are good at.

You just need to avoid those sharks:
shark.jpg

Robert M

800 HORSE FUN!!
Established Member
1995COBRA-R said:
I'd say it depends on your area of competence. I've managed to enjoy a fairly decent job of making returns in the stock market. My college degrees and experience have allowed me to avoid the pitfalls and manage the normal general rise of the markets (i.g., the Dow was 1000 when I started; it's now 10,868.38).

I probably couldn't make a dime in the car market in a million years.

You need to stay with what you are good at.

You just need to avoid those sharks:
shark.jpg

Doc - That isn't a shark, that's a N. Korean mini-sub made to look like a shark. We are safe, the guy on the surfboard is CIA.

You are right about specialty/collectible cars, some can do o.k. in that area, others seem to always take a beating. The stock market...........yes that usually is a good place, it was nice to see it regain to the 10,000 mark a while back after the 9/11 fall. One thing I am noticing in that market is how world events are affecting it more and more. It also seems that other countries in the world are growing so much in the area of production that much of the American stocks seem to be staying flat without much upward growth. Yes the market goes up, but it seems that other world players are keeping it from growing like it has in the past. I believe that this "world economy" that is spoken of often will affect our economy more and more. Just think what NAFDA has done, and the Chinese. We went up tp N.C. over the last two days to pick up that 2-Top, it is amazing the amount of semi trailers with Chinese shipping companies names on their sides. My dad had worked for NSA during the 60's and 70's reporting on Asian activities, he picked out those trailers, I didn't even notice. One thing that is nice about specialty cars is that if the market takes a dump and you loose a pile of money you still have something out in the garage that you can touch, what do you have in a market loss.........a past statement that shows where you were, and now you have a lot less or even nothing? As in any investing, all of your eggs in one basket is always a mistake.

R

Last edited:

1995COBRA-R

20 Year Member
Established Member
Premium Member
Robert M said:
One thing I am noticing in that market is how world events are affecting it more and more. It also seems that other countries in the world are growing so much in the area of production that much of the American stocks seem to be staying flat without much upward growth. I believe that this "world economy" that is spoken of often will affect our economy more and more.
Robert,
IMO, the American stock market has always had world and domestic affairs which weigh on it. You receive a better yield from stocks over bonds due to the risks which you explain. The stock market has provided a 10-12% yield for as far back as you can calculate the yield. I believe that yield will go on for many more years. I am sure the young investor who invests today at DOW 10K will see Dow 100K.

There are many factors that weigh on global equities and investment. I hear many people tell me that I should invest in China. I ask them if they are aware that Chinese companies are majority owned by their government. Therefore, all matters decided by the board are matters that their government will make. I'll let them trust the communist Chinese to provide fiscal responsibility to their ownership because I wouldn't in a billion years.

Many people criticize the American accounting standards. They are not perfect. I always break down the GAAP earnings to "realistic" earnings. If you want to find really bad accounting, just go pick apart a European, Asian, or emerging market accounting statement. Good luck.

You mention the "world economy". You can easily get world earnings exposure right here. You would be very surprised how much GE, Coca-Cola, Microsoft, Cisco, Bud, Merck, etc. make outside these borders.

American stocks seem to be staying flat
I see if differently. I see the multiple expansion that got ahead of itself (some due to low interest rates). I also see this as a short term trend.

An investor should certainly spread their investments (diversify). You should still stay with your level of competence. If you are good at investing in real estate, you should still invest most of your money there. If you are good at running a business, invest in it. If you want to invest in the stock market, you better know what you are doing (I never buy a company's stock without spending hours pouring over their financials).

This is still the greatest Country in the world. Our standard of living is ahead of the rest of the world. Our innovation and business savvy cannot be matched. I'd like to see another government make one of these:
SR-71.jpg

That isn't a shark, that's a N. Korean mini-sub made to look like a shark. We are safe, the guy on the surfboard is CIA.
:D

Robert M

800 HORSE FUN!!
Established Member
1995COBRA-R said:
Robert,
IMO, the American stock market has always had world and domestic affairs which weigh on it. You receive a better yield from stocks over bonds due to the risks which you explain. The stock market has provided a 10-12% yield for as far back as you can calculate the yield. I believe that yield will go on for many more years. I am sure the young investor who invests today at DOW 10K will see Dow 100K.

There are many factors that weigh on global equities and investment. I hear many people tell me that I should invest in China. I ask them if they are aware that Chinese companies are majority owned by their government. Therefore, all matters decided by the board are matters that their government will make. I'll let them trust the communist Chinese to provide fiscal responsibility to their ownership because I wouldn't in a billion years.

Many people criticize the American accounting standards. They are not perfect. I always break down the GAAP earnings to "realistic" earnings. If you want to find really bad accounting, just go pick apart a European, Asian, or emerging market accounting statement. Good luck.

You mention the "world economy". You can easily get world earnings exposure right here. You would be very surprised how much GE, Coca-Cola, Microsoft, Cisco, Bud, Merck, etc. make outside these borders.

I see if differently. I see the multiple expansion that got ahead of itself (some due to low interest rates). I also see this as a short term trend.

An investor should certainly spread their investments (diversify). You should still stay with your level of competence. If you are good at investing in real estate, you should still invest most of your money there. If you are good at running a business, invest in it. If you want to invest in the stock market, you better know what you are doing (I never buy a company's stock without spending hours pouring over their financials).

This is still the greatest Country in the world. Our standard of living is ahead of the rest of the world. Our innovation and business savvy cannot be matched. I'd like to see another government make one of these:
SR-71.jpg

:D

Doc - You are right, the U.S.A. is the GREATEST country on this planet. I will not debate you on the stock market, I am not knowledgable enough to even try. No, no other county has ever built anything like the SR-71, it is just too bad that, again, we have to depend on other counties to provide the fuel (oil) to run that thing, or for that matter anything in this country.

The world economy, yes many/most of the American companies are now using resources outside of our country to produce their product. That makes me wonder, for instance, if I invest in an American company that is doing well, how much of that investment actually stays in the U.S.? If that company is posting good return in the stock market but actually their investing is overseas (labor and manuf.) to produce their product, how is that really helping America as a whole? Another question, I hear about this huge deficit that the U.S. owes around the world, I would suppose that this is because we buy/import much more than we sell/manuf./export? Is this what they are talking about? If so, how long can this large gap continue as it keeps getting wider? What would happen if you or I ran our business or home finances that way? How long would we continue to exist?

R

1995COBRA-R

20 Year Member
Established Member
Premium Member
Robert M said:
The world economy, yes many/most of the American companies are now using resources outside of our country to produce their product. That makes me wonder, for instance, if I invest in an American company that is doing well, how much of that investment actually stays in the U.S.?
Robert,
You are moving a bit over to macroeconomics (top-down economics). I concentrate on microeconomics (bottom-up). I also sense some concerns about how the American economy is changing from just that to a global economy. I'm just a little person trying to save for my retirement and have no control over those things (as if you didn't know that). I just try to play the cards that are dealt to me (rather than change decks).

I can explain an American company and how those profits go to shareholders (and to America in the form of taxes). I'll take Coca-Cola (although Home Depot would be easier; I own both and both are headquartered in Atlanta).

Coke (KO) sells more than 400 different beverage products all over the world. People all over the globe consume 1.3 billion KO produced beverages daily. Their biggest customer is North America (28%) with Latin America at 25%. Europe is next at 16%. Yes, some of the margins are left in the country that consumes the beverage (you have to pay the distributor in Paris as well as pay France a little in taxes). However, the profits still return to Atlanta. They pay federal taxes on those corporate taxes ($1.8B). The remaining profits ($4.87B) go to the stockholders in the from of dividends and retained earnings. So, KO does increase the GDP of France, but takes French Euro's out (the profits) and sends them to Atlanta. So, we buy oil from the Mideast but sell sugared water (and regular water, juices, diet drinks, etc) to France (and to the middle east).

I bought my first share of KO in 1980. Adjusted for splits and dividends that is a cost of $0.80/sh. I receive (today) $1.12 in annual dividends for those shares. So, I get back each year more in dividends than I originally paid for the stock (as adjusted). The shares closed yesterday at $44 ($43.20/sh in capital gains). Dividends and capital gains are taxed at lower rates than earned (or ordinary) income.

As I look at the balance sheet I see that KO owes $1.15B in debt. They also have $16.35B in retained earnings (see above). In other words they have $16in the bank for every $1 in debt. I like that.
--------
I hear about this huge deficit that the U.S. owes around the world, I would suppose that this is because we buy/import much more than we sell/manuf./export?
Macro thing.
That is our trade deficit. It's a problem (but without KO it would be worse). It is due to people buying foreign oil, foreign cars, and foreign made products (Sony TVs).

I live near the GM plant in N. Atlanta. It is closing. I have always been amazed by the parking lot there. Why does a worker whose job depends on an American product buy a foreign made car? :shrug: I guarantee you that if I worked for Ford; I would drive a Ford (heck, I drive Ford's anyway--five of them---oh, and a Cheby :D).
-------------
Macro:
The government has a budget deficit. It doesn't worry me that much. Our budget deficit is 4.5% of GDP. That is manageable. What isn't manageable is the government's unfunded liabilities (S.S. and Medicare liabilities). How can you help yourself? Vote for politicians that want to provide a solution (and prepare for your own retirement funds).
----
Macro:
The biggest torn in my hide is the American savings rate. People are spending everything they make. I have no solution except that I taught my kid to save at least 10% of his income. I have taught him to invest in American companies that will allow him a future stream of income (which also helps out trade deficit and avoidance of his budget deficit). I can't do anything about other people's kids (or them).

OK, wake up; I'm done :D
Doc

99SVT3753

5.4L Snake
Established Member
It was cheaper to just update mine when the 4.6 finally let go .. :)

Now if I can just get the KB S/C :)

cpu77

Armed and Dangerous!
Established Member
It's hard to find a 2000 Cobra R. I want one with less than 20k and has not been modified to the hilt. Any idea what the market should be price wise?

Robert M

800 HORSE FUN!!
Established Member
cpu77 said:
It's hard to find a 2000 Cobra R. I want one with less than 20k and has not been modified to the hilt. Any idea what the market should be price wise?

It seems as if the market has turned toward the seller at this point. As these cars get older there will be less turn-over and the market will keep swinging this direction more and more. Finding a 2000R with less than 20K miles should not be difficult as most have far less miles than that. These cars pop-up on eBay fairly often but not as much recently. There are some listed here on this Cobra R forum in the R's for sale.

R

TcM-668

It seems that the low mileage 00 Rs seem to be high 40s low 50s. Seems there have been a few coming out of their bubbles as of late.

Mine has around 17K street miles, and I consider it to be a high mileage car. I have about $ 12K in extras for it, but once I got ready to start mod'ing the car, I got cold feet. My biggest concern was lack of spares for some of the irreplacable HW(Engine). Now that the Ford GT and GT500 are out, we finally have sources for HTF spare parts. Down the road, I forsee building up a crate motor to replace my R motor.

If you keep an eye out, you'll find them out there, and the prices are not too bad. At least we don't have to worry about the ADM.

Users who are viewing this thread