Cobra Recall

XLR8-R

Established Member
I'm sure its been posted before, but is there an easy way to tell if the horsepower recall has been done on a 99 Cobra? My friend just bought a black convertible and the previous owner(Buick dealer) has no idea. Thanks, Carter

Matt_Sterbator

Established Member
Get the VIN number handy and call: 1-800-Ford-SVT

They can tell you if it has been done or not, when and where.

You can also look at the upper left part of your intake for a lil paint dot (mine is green). On the upper right part there should be "B A" stamped into a little flat area.

The exhaust was replaced and the computer was reflashed / replaced ? Not sure, but the intake is the easy part.

REDLYNE

Established Member
The "fix" consists of: a new lower intake manifold, a new tensioner pulley, a less restrictive cat-back, and a PCM reflash.

To identify look for the following:
* "BA" Intake manifold (stamped on a flat boss near the alternator bracket to intake bolt)
* Two paint dots on the lower intake. One blue or green. One black.
* "JA" Calibration (new sticker should read "YR3F-12A650-JA)...usually found on the underside of the hood.
* "7509" Mufflers ("7509" stamped on each muffler can)

Everyone seems to have the mufflers...though some people don't haev the sticker AND the dots AND the BA stamp. There's some inconsistancy. I have the reflash sticker, a black dot, a green dot...but no BA stamp. However, I watched them do most of the fix...so I know its been done.

Check for yourself...and call SVT...for piece of mind. Oh, and while you're on the phone tell yopur friend to ask for an authenticity certificate. It will be mailed and will contain your friend's car's build # and VIN #.

Good luck :)

Users who are viewing this thread