Cobra Tap

Caseindaplace

Established Member
Revisiting this issue.

Could be suspension, could be bushings or something within the body panel - not sure so I stuck this in the general thread.

Passenger rear tapping - see video.

I have changed the IRS bushings, sway bar end links, shock bushing (inside trunk), new springs etc. The only thing that hasn’t been changed is the passenger control arm and actual shock. Is there anyway to tell if the control arm bushings are bad?

The noise can not be replicated by simply pushing down on the car. Has to be in motion and pops on bumps and if you steer hard left (body roll right)

Any ideas ?

Sent from my iPhone using the svtperformance.com mobile app

MG0h3

Established Member
Sure it isnt the exhaust banging into something? Broken hanger maybe?

To get a noise like that I'd think the bushing would essentially be gone.

Could be the coil spring too. My HR sports rubbed a little up at the top. Had to do a little work on the seam that drops down.

Oh and I remember something about a seam in the trunk that can make noise. Like up towards the front of the trunk; can't really remember but saw someone post a fix with some sealer or something.

Caseindaplace

Established Member
Sure it isnt the exhaust banging into something? Broken hanger maybe?

To get a noise like that I'd think the bushing would essentially be gone.

Could be the coil spring too. My HR sports rubbed a little up at the top. Had to do a little work on the seam that drops down.

Oh and I remember something about a seam in the trunk that can make noise. Like up towards the front of the trunk; can't really remember but saw someone post a fix with some sealer or something.

Thought it Was the exhaust too, so I snagged a used $120 set of magnaflow Catback to replace my stock w/ flows and just changed it today. Still the same.

I had H&R Race springs and Changed to Eibach Pros for a more comfy ride - no change in noise but I’m not sure about the rubbing up top.

The trunk is where it sounds like it is, like up on top of the wheel well, I thought it was the bushing or washer tapping the wall but I got a new bushing and even shaved the washer - still the same
IMG_0976.JPG

Caseindaplace

Established Member

MG0h3

Established Member
The thread I saw showed it in the trunk. It'll be one of those seams where you see that caulking type stuff. I'd pull your carpet and poke around.

Caseindaplace

Established Member
The thread I saw showed it in the trunk. It'll be one of those seams where you see that caulking type stuff. I'd pull your carpet and poke around.

I found this photo and I may try this RTV silicone fix. I pried the sheet metal away and sent my video to see if it compares to their issue years ago.

IMG_1371.JPG

MG0h3

Established Member
Yep. I just tracked down a thread on another forum but thats the spot. They described more of a creak but who knows.

I'd take a look at the coil up top as well. If you look through the wheel you'll see a body seam (I think; cant recall) and it will rub the top coil or two.

Caseindaplace

Established Member
Yep. I just tracked down a thread on another forum but thats the spot. They described more of a creak but who knows.

I'd take a look at the coil up top as well. If you look through the wheel you'll see a body seam (I think; cant recall) and it will rub the top coil or two.

That was it. I can’t believe it

Repair cost of zero! Screw driver and a hammer to bend the weak metal back away from the wheel well. I’ll finish it up with RTV

Thank you!

Users who are viewing this thread