Coilovers Recommendation?

Mobil1Mach

Established Member
Ive been running H&R Race Springs on my IRS swapped Mach 1 since 2010 and am looking to change things up. The car is used mainly for cruising and spirited backroad driving.

Ive been eyeing Maximum Motorsports coilovers for a while but have noticed quite a few folks running Feal 441+. I'm also aware of the KW V1 and V3 set ups.

Between those three, which is going to give me the best longevity and performance? I have a feeling the answer is MM (as usual) but thought I'd check and see if the hive mind consensus has changed recently.

Thanks everyone!

01yellercobra

AKA slo984now
Established Member
My only experience is with the Maximum Motorsport set up. I went from H&R race springs to these. I like how they ride. The only real noise is from the tab I didn't bend back far enough on the front.

shurur

Established Member
I would go mm, but consult ftbr.
FTBR (Bruce: ac427cobra) ran 550/450, which in not the larger span between front and rear CO spring rates that MM will likely recommend to you.

olympic

Established Member
I have the MM kit and I'm happy with it. Sometimes I get a little noise while turning the wheels but nothing serious. The springs they sent initially were 600/400 which are way too stiff for the street unless your streets are glass smooth. Streets around here horrible so I went down to 475/300 and it's more tolerable. I think you could go even less on the spring rate for a street car that isn't lowered too much.

2DXTRM

Pushrod 5.0
Established Member
Besides the IRS swap and the H&R springs, what else is done to the car suspension wise?

If your car is mainly street cruiser and spirited back road driving....
a.) do the coilovers on the front end only. Keep the stock location stuff on the rear.

If you already haven't, do the bushing upgrade on the IRS. FTBR kit preffered.
If you are going to upgrade the rear toe links, do the Kenny Brown kit.
Adjustable rear swaybar endlinks, either MM or FTBR (a must for lowered cars) and polyurethane rear swaybar bushings.

There is a nice set of KW V3 Coilovers for Sale in the Classifieds.
https://www.svtperformance.com/forums/threads/99-04-cobra-irs-kw-variant-3-coil-overs.1164435/

For the front end, poly urethane sway bar bushings, the short sway bar endlinks (check MM website).
Check your rack bushings and upgrade those as well.

Mobil1Mach

Established Member
Car has MM IRS bushings, chassis and k-member bracing, steering rack bushings, steering input shaft, CC plates, Torsen T2R, bumpsteer adjustable tie rods, etc.

I have an Eibach rear sway bar I need to install as well.

Why would I want to just do the front for coilovers?

KBR

Established Member
I went with MM #350 front/#500 rear using stock Bilsteins . They are supposed to be about the same spring rate as H&R race springs. They do ride a little stiff, but I didn't drive the car enough stock to compare.

01yellercobra

AKA slo984now
Established Member
I have 300/475 springs and I'd say they're about dead even for the H&R race springs. I've toyed with the idea of going just a tad stiffer. But my back would probably hate me on long trips.

2DXTRM

Pushrod 5.0
Established Member
Car has MM IRS bushings, chassis and k-member bracing, steering rack bushings, steering input shaft, CC plates, Torsen T2R, bumpsteer adjustable tie rods, etc.

I have an Eibach rear sway bar I need to install as well.

Why would I want to just do the front for coilovers?

Major improvement with a front coilover conversion.

I know I'm not the only one, but I am not totally convinced with a rear coilover conversion for the IRS. I just took my rear coilovers off and will be going back to a stock location spring and shock setup. The front end will still be coilovers. They (rear coilovers) might be OK for a flat road course or straight highway driving.

You're running the Eibach swaybar as well? I have one on my car. Don't get me started about that and coilovers and spring lengths, esp when using the Koni rear shocks.
Read more here: http://www.svtperformance.com/threads/mm-coilover-on-koni-rubbing.953910/

Users who are viewing this thread