Cold Air Intake for Procharger P-1SC?

01silverstang

Established Member
The car currently has no functional cold air intake to the Procharger. It came with what I believe is the aluminum section of an Anderson Power Pipe for a Vortech equipped 96-98 Cobra as it's one piece and not two like the correct Power Pipe kit.

My options are:

1. Buy a 4.0" by 8.0" JLT air filter, and a 90 degree reducing silicone elbow that's 4.0" x 3.75" and make it work for probably around $100.

2. Buy a correct Anderson Kit for $274.79.

3. Buy the correct Procharger intake and filer for $211.

What would you do? The inlet is confirmed to be 3.75" would you only use a 3.75" reducer elbow or would you snug down a 4.0"?

DaveWertz

Established Member
The car currently has no functional cold air intake to the Procharger. It came with what I believe is the aluminum section of an Anderson Power Pipe for a Vortech equipped 96-98 Cobra as it's one piece and not two like the correct Power Pipe kit.

My options are:

1. Buy a 4.0" by 8.0" JLT air filter, and a 90 degree reducing silicone elbow that's 4.0" x 3.75" and make it work for probably around $100.

2. Buy a correct Anderson Kit for $274.79.

3. Buy the correct Procharger intake and filer for $211.

What would you do? The inlet is confirmed to be 3.75" would you only use a 3.75" reducer elbow or would you snug down a 4.0"?
I have the anderson power pipe with a K&N 12" filter on the end. If I was you I would either make my own power pipe or get the anderson. Im not sure how procharger setups are laid out but are you blow through or draw through?

01silverstang

Established Member
I have the anderson power pipe with a K&N 12" filter on the end. If I was you I would either make my own power pipe or get the anderson. Im not sure how procharger setups are laid out but are you blow through or draw through?
I went ahead and ordered a 90 degree 4.0” x 3.75” reducing silicone coupler and the Anderson Filter. I’m blow through and couldn’t justify the additional cost... I’m going to try and make this work with the pipe section I have.

if I run into figment issues would there be a problem running the filter directly off the end of the coupler? Everything on the pipe needs capped off anyway...

DaveWertz

Established Member
For me the power pipe was to easy. When I was none cooled and draw through I could only fit a 4" tall filter at best. Im sure I had allot of restrictions running it that way. Now I have the 12" filter at the end of my power pipe, blow through and the other bungs are just capped off. I'm having some trouble picturing in my head what you are trying to do exactly.

01silverstang

Established Member
For me the power pipe was to easy. When I was none cooled and draw through I could only fit a 4" tall filter at best. Im sure I had allot of restrictions running it that way. Now I have the 12" filter at the end of my power pipe, blow through and the other bungs are just capped off. I'm having some trouble picturing in my head what you are trying to do exactly.
It should fit, the difference is mainly for whatever reason the power pipe I have is a one piece meant for a Vortech equipped car, which is different than the two piece pipe for Procharged cars.

I’m assuming with some trimming on the coupler I can fit it into the fender opening.

if for some reason I can’t, I’m wondering other than engine bay heat if I can run the filter directly off the coupler while I come up with a different plan.

DaveWertz

Established Member
It should fit, the difference is mainly for whatever reason the power pipe I have is a one piece meant for a Vortech equipped car, which is different than the two piece pipe for Procharged cars.

I’m assuming with some trimming on the coupler I can fit it into the fender opening.

if for some reason I can’t, I’m wondering other than engine bay heat if I can run the filter directly off the coupler while I come up with a different plan.
Ok I see what you mean now. Im not sure on that. I guess depending how big your filter is at the base. I couldn't imagine it would work if its bigger than 4" at the base. My powerpipe is 4" and has just enough room as is. I guess you could not run a coupler and place the air filter directly to the head unit itself, will it be a restriction? Not really sure. To me the pro charger power pipe would suck hot air being that it is in the engine bay and not the fender well. But I have no real world data backing that.

01silverstang

Established Member
Ok I see what you mean now. Im not sure on that. I guess depending how big your filter is at the base. I couldn't imagine it would work if its bigger than 4" at the base. My powerpipe is 4" and has just enough room as is. I guess you could not run a coupler and place the air filter directly to the head unit itself, will it be a restriction? Not really sure. To me the pro charger power pipe would suck hot air being that it is in the engine bay and not the fender well. But I have no real world data backing that.
I purchased the Anderson Filter that will fit the pipe. I should be able to trim the coupler and make it work.

If I have trouble I may just attach the filter to the coupler until I can trim the power pipe or fab something up. Like you mentioned the Procharger piece keeps the filter in the engine bay as well.

DSG2003Mach1

Established Member
Premium Member
treadstone and places sell a....I can't come up with the correct name... piece that would go between the filter and the silicone couple that has a lip on each end. You just put your normal hose clamp on there. Its maybe 3" wide, I think the ones I had were aluminum so don't tighten the hell out of the clamp and distort it but no need on the pre-blower side.

Lastly if you look up home made cold air/homemade power pipe you can see where people were using a section of metal pipe a spectre air filter to keep everything in the engine bay. It wasn't was good as a power pipe but better than the procharger supplied piece. Im not 100% if it was shared on here as well but I know people posted about on the mach 1 registry in the blower/power adder section

Users who are viewing this thread