Comp stage 3's and daily driving

kodexkustoms

Established Member
Hey guys,

I'm not here to start another N/A vs F/I battle or cans aren't worth it for the money thread I just want honest feedback.

I'm doing full bolt ons in one swoop on my boss and I'm starting to think maybe it's best I go ahead and do cams while I'm at it. This is my DD so drivability is real important. I know a lot of that is in the tune, Sai Li at forced motorsports is tuning it and I've contacted him about it also. But what are people's honest opinions about stage 3's and drivability and reliability?

The car is gonna have just for what it's worth
Ported CJ mani
SCJ mono TB
1-7/8 kooks with ORX
47# injectors
E85

Thanks
Kody

dennisn

Established Member
Drive ability is a non issue with the cams. It's all in the tune and from what I've heard you are in very capable hands.

redline5.0

Established Member
You might have some cold start chopy idle on e85 and cams but that's about it. Mine drives like stock with s3 cams, built motor, cj/scj, headers and e85. I drove this setup to western Kansas 4 hours each way and never skipped a beat.

kodexkustoms

Established Member
Do you guys honestly think on a N/A boss it'd be worth it? I have no plans what so ever to go forced induction on this car. It'll be N/A till the death of me lol.

redline5.0

Established Member
I gained 39hp on 93 with comp s3 cams, never wen't to see the difference with e85 though. The comp s3's really play well with the cj setup.

kodexkustoms

Established Member
Damn! I called Collin at racing integration today and asked him and he quoted $1200 to install the cams. How's the low end power with these cams?

dennisn

Established Member
If you ask me they're not worth it. I'm trying to sell mine so I can go fi. it's costing me a pretty good chunk of change (not quite your 1200) to have stock cams put back in. et gains were minimal.

To give you an idea best time in neg da on stock mani stock cams was an 11.4 best time with cj and cams similar da was an 11.12. Let's say 4000.00 (think that's on the low side) for .3 tenths.

This is just my opinion so take it for what it's worth. To some it's worth it.

Holovacko

Established Member
I'm also looking to add the Stage 3 cams... But some of the quotes for install are ridiculous.... I don't even want to post them, they're that comical

Last edited:

redline5.0

Established Member
It was worth it to me because I did my own install, I would of never payed someone to do it lol.

Holovacko

Established Member
I'm eventually going to do it. I'm still searching for a decent price for the install though. The install doesn't seem too bad like he said, but I don't want to risk it. It's going to need a tune with it, so I was looking to get both at the same place.

Holovacko

Established Member
From what the shops have said, you lose a considerable amount down low. Is it that bad? Or is it manageable?

kodexkustoms

Established Member
See that's part of the reason I started this thread also. I keep getting mixed info on low and mid range power. Collin seems to say you lose low range, but my car has a 25.5" tire and 3.73 so from a 40-45 roll I'm turning close to 5k.

Lundy37

lundy
Established Member
I had stage 3 cams few years ago gained lot of top end HP but in 1st gear it was hard to just go slow the car would buck a ton under like 3k rpm One of the hidden things know one mentions BBR installed mine at mustangweek 4 years ago in my previous car also did the tune in person

ExTurbo

Established Member
I had stage 3 cams few years ago gained lot of top end HP but in 1st gear it was hard to just go slow the car would buck a ton under like 3k rpm One of the hidden things know one mentions BBR installed mine at mustangweek 4 years ago in my previous car also did the tune in person

I would say a lot of that bucking is due to the tune.

oldbones

The blue bowtie
Established Member
There aren't any before and after dyno graphs someone can post up?

Boss intake car with comp stage 3's

dyno%20sheet%20comp%20cam3%20boss%20and%20lt_1.jpg

And one of my car with 11mm ford racing 290deg exh cams with a CJ manifold

sheet%204.jpg

kodexkustoms

Established Member
With my horrible eyes it appears the comps have a better looking torque curve. Even with the boss intake. I wonder how the CJ mani would affect the torque curve.

Modular Racing

Authorized Vendor
Authorized Vendor
Be sure to also look at the MMR stage 3 cams, unfortunately the comp cams technology is 4+ years old now and when released back in 2011 they were great, but mmr has worked closely with comp over the last few years to refine them. The advanced technology and R&D in the MMR cams gives overall better performance, higher peak #'s with ZERO lost bottom end compared to the off the shelf comp grinds. The MMR n/a cams are good on most bolt on applications for 45-55 RWHP. MMR camshaft grinds have been proven in many classes including NMRA Coyote Modified and NMRA Renegade where they both currently hold the class records.

Best of luck either way, sounds like you are going to have a fun ride!! Let us know if we can help with anything!

MMR

Users who are viewing this thread