Complete MM IRS Fix It Kit or Built Live Axel???

MM IRS Kit or Built Live Axel???

• Nah...Keep it stock...No worries

Votes: 26 10.2%
  • Hell Yes to the MM Complete IRS Kit

Votes: 148 58.3%
  • Hell Yes to the Built Live Axel

Votes: 80 31.5%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Fresh Cobra

505 RWHP Blvd Pimp
Established Member
OK...here is my problem. I've done the search and there really isn't a deffinite ruling on going Live Axel or just completing the whole MM IRS Kit.
So speak your mind and give your thoughts. My 04 will be a Daily Driver/once in a while Strip Stang.
The reason I'm even considering a Live Axel is that I keep all of my stock parts from day 1 so returning back to stock isn't an issue or concern. I want to finely run this biiatch at the track to see what she can do and I really don't want to break the Ford Sh*tty Half Shafts and then be towed home or to a shop for the fix.

Fresh :burnout:

toofast4u

Versatilist
Established Member
If is a daily driver I would definitely keep the IRS and improve it as necessary to reduce/eliminate wheel hop. It is definitely possible with the right combination. The only way I would consider a solid axle would be for a dedicated drag car and in that case I would dump the T-56 also.

dgussin1

If I offend you, IDGAF
Established Member
DSS level 5 halfshafts = virtually indestructible rear end while maintaining a nice ride.

jackers

Solid Axle Equipt
Established Member
There are plenty of mods you can do to remove the wheel hop that snaps the half shafts. Different mods on different cars stop the hop. Start small.....
first try drag radials, then subframes, then bushings and so on. One of the reasons I got the car is for the advances over other mustangs.....like the IRS, 6 speed, fat steering wheel, and the list goes on. I say keep the IRS.

jordanvraptor

Established Member
Keep the IRS, if you like to run the curves at speed on bumpy roads... I've done the basic IRS bushings, differential bushings, etc. You can't fully get rid of the hop with an IRS IMHO. That being said, I have 182 timeslips in my Cobra at the local dragstrip and have not broken anything yet.

postban

...rollin on 20's
Established Member
I find that the coupe guys get less hop to start with and are more inclined to say stay with IRS. There are coupe guys in my club that never get it, they can launch at 4k, powershift and run mid 11's. Not the same story with the verts.

You can "experiment" and see if the MM fix works for verts. I personally would like to know.
I went live axle because I did not feel like spending the money to find out that verts still hop.

It is a rougher ride because of the shocks/springs I chose, does not corner as well if the surfaces are bumpy. But It don't hop now.

Good luck

details/pics on the swap in my sig

Fresh Cobra

505 RWHP Blvd Pimp
Established Member
Hey Kaboom...how does your cobra act when launched with the add on MM IRS shyt? What do you recommend when looking to get MM IRS shyt? Any help is greatly appreciated.

Fresh :beer:

kaboom

Yea it's a 03 now shut up
Established Member
It's a night and day difference. Just get the same susp mods in my sig and you wont regret it. I have zero hop and when i launch the car just squats and hooks.

Snake Eyes

Established Member
Keep the IRS. Unless you are dragging the thing all the time and want to rip out the interior, ditch the T56 and swap out the IRS for a solid with a spool all in search of faster quarter times then keep the IRS. I personally don't understand why anyone would swap out the IRS for anything less than a Griggs or MM world challenge solid and even then, why? The IRS can be made to handle better than the solid (except above and even then it is close), can be made to drag well, and rides much better. If you want a dedicated track car go buy an old fox body that has a built 5.0. You can probably find one cheaper than it will be to build up a solid axle (seeing that you don't want to trade someone). If you do keep the IRS here is a post I made on how to cure all the IRS woes (hop included).

http://www.svtperformance.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=113402

Shadowgray03

Snake Charmer
Established Member
Keep IRS and add

DSS lvl 5 half shafts
MJ's brace
MM poly subframe bushings
Nicks Delrin control arm bushings
Nicks Delrin read diff bushing
Nicks Aluminum Diff pinion bushings

plan b

hooters for looters
Established Member
I just did Nick's bushings in my convertible except I made mine out of nylatron instead of delrin. I did MM irs subframe bushings at the same time. H&R ss springs as well. I don't have wheel hop anymore. Believe me, I have tried to make it hop but the ass end just plants on the ground and stays there.

Fresh Cobra

505 RWHP Blvd Pimp
Established Member
OK...who is Nick and just what are these parts:

~ Fresh :??:

Shadowgray03

Snake Charmer
Established Member
Originally posted by Fresh Cobra
OK...who is Nick and just what are these parts:

~ Fresh :??:
Nick is a fellow mustang enthisiast who makes 1-off bushings for our IRS.

Even if you replace the IRS subframe bushings with poly MM units, you have only addressed part of the problem. The upper and lower control arms connect to the subframe frame via the same spongy rubber bushings that hold the subframe to the body of the car. Nick makes a set of delrin(very hard plastic) bushings for the upper and lower control arms. He also makes aluminum bushings for where the differential attaches to the crossmember and a delrin bushing for where the diff mounts to the subframe. All of the stock units are runner and can allow for a lot of deflection.

Installing them is not rocket science BUT it can be very time consuming. I did mine in my garage and in my opinion doing them makes the IRS subframe bushings look like a peice of cake, its much more involved. I have heard of shops quoting 4 hours on subframe bushings and having it take 10. The LCA, UCA and diff bushing I would bet are a lot more time consuming than the IRS bushings.....at least they were for me.

I will see if I can dig up nicks e-mail addy for ya.

toofast4u

Versatilist
Established Member
Originally posted by Shadowgray03
Nick makes a set of delrin(very hard plastic) bushings for the upper and lower control arms.

Read very dense plastic it is actually sometimes used as a soft metal alternative and is actually machined not formed. Delrin is also very expensive Griggs IRS LCA bushings alone are 379.95. Nicks entire bushing set is about that price including Delrin LCA, UCA, and Differential Cover Bushing and Aluminum Pinion Bushing. Nicks email address is [email protected]. I also have the rear swaybar endlinks and Delrin Shock Bushings that he is making.

Fresh Cobra

505 RWHP Blvd Pimp
Established Member
ShadowGray03 and TooFast4U...Thanks for the info and the email addy. I'm going to email Nick in a few to see what he has available for my 04. I guess I've decided to beef up the IRS as best as I can and keep it as is. My 96 GT Vert will be my dedicated Drag Car once I switch out the 5 speed and get my final N2O tune in a week.

~ Fresh :beer:

toofast4u

Versatilist
Established Member
Originally posted by Fresh Cobra
ShadowGray03 and TooFast4U...Thanks for the info and the email addy. I'm going to email Nick in a few to see what he has available for my 04. I guess I've decided to beef up the IRS as best as I can and keep it as is. My 96 GT Vert will be my dedicated Drag Car once I switch out the 5 speed and get my final N2O tune in a week.

~ Fresh :beer:

If he has anything new keep us informed. I don't know what is left for my suspension, but I am sure there has to be something. ;-)

11secCobra

Way2Fast4These LS1 guys
Established Member
i just recently switched from the IRS to a solid axle with 410, 31 spline mosers, and an eaton posi.

youll love the gears, and it corners about as well as the IRS with the koni fully adjustables.

overall it just feels more stable with the solid axle than with the IRS and ABSOLUTELY NO WHEEL HOP!

NeedForSpeed

Established Member
I just did my rear

Upper & lower arms, & Diff mount bushings alum \ nylon
IRS subframe MM polu bushings
eaton 31 spline posi
DSS level 5 half shafts
MJ's \ Billet Flow Rear Cover Brace

With a slick, I should be able to stick with the solid axle guys

And it'll still handle it's as** off

I also have a set off GW Sub-frames, The 400 $$$ ones with the cross bracing & jacking rails, they are the nicest piece I have ever seen as far as subs go.

D\S safety loop, Ram race clutch\p\p & flywheel set-up, 26 spline input shaft...

As far as the drive train goes I think so far it's pretty much bullet proof. I can't wait to see what happens. :rockon:

Few things left on the list, I want to install a set of battle boxes to the tq boxes... for safety, I remember hearing someone with an irs bending the hell outta his. I'd like to swap over to a AJE K-member, rubular A-arms w\ perches for the stock spring, a set of C\C plates and a stuck tower brace.

At the moment I plan on keeping the factory spring \ shock set-up all the way around.

Theres no way I can lower the car with the damn ground scrapin kooks long tubes. There banged up as it is now @ stock ride height. I gotta repalce a runner already cause it was half dented in on the drivers side. :(

Keep the IRS, these cobra drive like no other stang

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread