Completed Solid axle swap today.

Smacked_in_ATL

Stock!
Established Member
What the hell are you talking about? A solid axle swap, if you have the cobra pinion flange consists of about 8 bolts and re-attaching the e-brake cables and brake lines... It takes one person all of about 3 hours if that.

"Chopped up and reduced in value?" Based off of what? The IRS swap is a performance mod in that it reduces a considerable amount of weight and becomes much eaiser/cheaper to set the car up for the 1320'. Unless your car is BONE-STOCK down to the paper filter I really don't understand your reasoning. An IRS swap will reduce the car's value in terms of mods, just as much as your upper pulley will.

:bash:

Again, I think those who aren't up to the task of performing the swap usually have that mindset. It truly is bolt on, no chopping involved, LOL!

Thanks Invictus.

02reaper

Established Member
Now, go to the track and see what kind of difference just this swap made and report back to us.:beer:

Black Sex

Established Member
To the OP...when you say yours bounces, did you use the stock IRS rear shocks? if you did thats where your bounce is coming from. i did that and was like WTF. i went out and bought some $18 monroe rear shocks for a GT and it rids just fine now. i dont really notice a differance from the IRS to SRA IMO

Smacked_in_ATL

Stock!
Established Member
To the OP...when you say yours bounces, did you use the stock IRS rear shocks? if you did thats where your bounce is coming from. i did that and was like WTF. i went out and bought some $18 monroe rear shocks for a GT and it rids just fine now. i dont really notice a differance from the IRS to SRA IMO

Yes I did. Thank you!! I'm going to trade shocks with the guy I traded rear ends with! Thank you for pointing that out and posting!!

Black Sex

Established Member
i think thats where the IRS to SRA swap gets the bad rep. for riding bad. they look like they should work but i think they are to short

lxlawWFO

Terminator LOVER!!!
Established Member
Yeah, I dont understand their harsh tone...

My coupe is really worthless.. I cut and welded all kinds of stuff :lol1:

2911296318_97851c0603.jpg

2911286456_cc81d46974_b.jpg

Very nice :)[/QUOTE]

Yeah, after the drags this weekend, I am really considering doing it my self. I just cant see spending that much cash to mod an IRS to break it.

03slobra2

POSI "race"port FTW
Established Member
I did the SRA swap about 2 months after I about the car in Dec 2002... I watched a friend at the track blow up his rear and was like well back on the trailer with my car and swapped out my SRA ouf of my GT at the house and never looked back!!!

I love my SRA... cheap to build, and can handle anything I throw at it...

rear end mods I did were as follows

98 GT rear... (I know its narrower... now I can run a bigger tire without issues)
33 spline gun drilled moser axles
C clip elim
moser full spool
moser 3.73's
welded axel tubes...

rear suspension was able to be done easily

QA1 adjustable shocks
QA1 coil over kits
UPR fully adjustable lowers
Baseline uppers
UPR anti roll bar

now it don't cork screw and run DEAD straight every time even if its spinning!!!

SRA FTW... and I don't personally believe that it lowered the value, the general public thinks the IRS breaks often...

Rock SVT

Established Member
What the hell is the matter with these guys saying its going to handle like a "Semi" and its "devalued"?

Have you guys not ever been in a car with a Solid Axle? I don't see where your getting your information that its going to handle like crap but its definately not from experience. Maybe you guys should try experience over what John Smith from the forum says. And as far as devaluing his car, I would say that most would be more interested in a car with a SRA swap. The IRS isn't too popular for obvious reasons.

Vsix

Established Member
The solid axle should have been FACTORY in these cars :beer: I wish the GT-500 guys got the IRS instead of us :cuss:

Last edited:

Steve2050

Established Member
This swap is fairly straightforward correct? If smacked wants to sell the car some day, he can change it back to IRS. He hasn't butchered the car up. I see it as Ford did us a favor by designing the IRS as a bolt on. Mine won't see any track duty so I won't switch to SRA. BTW, I switched to M/T 315 dr's last week and no more hop. I'm only on stock power level.

leftysmoke

SNK B1TE
Established Member
Yeah, I dont understand their harsh tone...

My coupe is really worthless.. I cut and welded all kinds of stuff :lol1:

2911296318_97851c0603.jpg

2911286456_cc81d46974_b.jpg

That is CLEAN. Smacked you should have painted it up before you did the swap but oh well. Enjoy coming out of the hole hard as hell! :rockon: :beer:

1Quick4.6

Established Member
ignorance.... hurts value.....ROTFL lol. the irs in cobra is crap heck the body of the car is designed for a solid hence the unused mounting points already being there. If it so great and and adds value why did Ford devalue the GT 500s with a solid.... o yea it better. real IRS cars are designed around the suspension like a vette, not adding IRS to a body that already exists. this is why the irs only handles marginly better than the solid in a cobra and like stated you can make the solid out handle the IRS.

Last edited:

Smacked_in_ATL

Stock!
Established Member
That is CLEAN. Smacked you should have painted it up before you did the swap but oh well. Enjoy coming out of the hole hard as hell! :rockon: :beer:

Hey, the axle is now painted. Only thing left is the 31 splines and 373 gear, new girdle...I just installed the 50/50 shocks and lakewood solid lower and steeda adjustable uppers.

ignorance.... hurts value.....ROLTF lol. the irs in cobra is crap heck the body of the car is designed for a solid hence the unused mounting points already being there. If it so great and and adds value why did Ford devalue the GT 500s with a solid.... o yea it better. real IRS cars are designed around the suspension like a vette, not adding IRS to a body that already exists. this is why the irs only handles marginly better than the solid in a cobra and like stated you can make the solid out handle the IRS.

Thats correct. All you need are control arms, bushings, and shocks and it handles just as good if not better. And the 31 spline axles and its bullet proof. What more could you ask for????????

Last edited:

10th terminator

Established Member
Bottom line

It's all in way you want to do with the car. Reminder- look whats in the GT 500; better yet look @ the 725 Super Snake. If you want to launch the car; do the swap; who wants to pay $1800 for some half shafts and then more $$$ for bushings, brace and not to mention the leaks with the brace and pain to work on IRS.

Scottyk

Established Member
Hey, whats this all about? I got a PM from a member asking me these questions and I had no clue. Can someone please fill me in?:shrug:

I dont know if anyone answered or not but he asked if its better to use a crush sleeve or a solid spacer on the pinion. IMO I would say use the crush sleeve as this keeps pressure on the pinion nut so it wont back out. Its a PITA to crush the sleeve and you are "supposed" to only use it once. The solid spacer is much easier to use and setting the pattern and back lash is much easier, but in my mind its more likely for this to work loose than with a crush sleeve which is why its used from the factory. I have always used them even in mine.

mu22stang

[_==[_=_][_=_3[_=_< /_=_\
Established Member
...real IRS cars are designed around the suspension like a vette, not adding IRS to a body that already exists. this is why the irs only handles marginly better than the solid in a cobra and like stated you can make the solid out handle the IRS.

The Cobra IRS is a compromise, but that doesn't necessarily make it any better/worse in handling characteristics when compared to a "real" IRS. Weight is always brought up but honestly, the rear end of these cars is light enough as it is - I'd put weight savings on the front end first. Either way, both can be made to handle great, but both have drastically different track behaviors. Comparing two identical Cobras, one with a SRA swap and one with the IRS, neither will be "better" but depending on the course, I'm betting the IRS would be faster. If nothing more, easier to post quicker times.

EvilTwins

I can't find my pulley!
Established Member
To each their own.

Personally when I was looking to buy a terminator I never even considered getting one with a solid axle swap, I wanted a fully built IRS and that's what I found. I wouldn't trade it for anything, it handles great and has zero hop. I've said it before and I'll say it again.. A solid axle belongs in a pickup truck, not a performance car.

But if you "live your life a 1/4 mile at a time", then the solid is the easier, cheaper and more reliable route to go for sure..

bluecobra

richie
Established Member
being a new termi owner, ive noticed that when shopping for a cobra the solid axle car owners wanted more. i'd rather have bought one with a sra and cant wait to swap.

Users who are viewing this thread