Compression, head gaskets, and boost

Doug

That Person.
Established Member
Alright, I feel like I should know the answer to this question, but I haven't had the time to really research it.

Synopsis: I've got a stroked motor, flat top pistons, milled heads, stock cams, lightly ported b heads and none of the usual bolt ons (no ud pullies, stock coils, fms wires, full weight...) Compression Ratio is 11.33:1. Makes decent power - 291hp/292ft/lbs on a Mustang Dyno. The motor was originally intended for around 250 - 300 hp worth of nitrous.

I no longer want to go the nitrous route. While I'm still an advocate of it, it is just not something I want to pursue any more. So, I'd like to jump on the bandwagon and put a turbo to it.

The Dilema: My question is with 11.33:1 CR and the fuel around here either straight 93 or "up to 10%" eth blend, would it even be worth it? I haven't a clue what would be acceptable boost levels to run on the car at 11.33:1. I would think 6-8 would be a good starting point, keeping timing in mind. Also, if that's too much compression - how would getting thicker head gaskets hold up?

I need some opinions cause the googling isn't being much of a help for my specific questions.

encasedmetal

WHINO!
Established Member
your CR and pump gas will not be an advocate for high boost levels- as you stated, however is it worth it to you to spend the money for a turbo setup only to run a few psi? thicker head gaskets would bring you down some- but run a higher risk of blowing the gasket with boost. Since you already have a stroker and high CR, why don't you just make it a strong N/A car with some good heads, cams, and an intake? seems a no brainer to me.

Doug

That Person.
Established Member
Well, it is and will always be a street car. I will always sacrifice power/performance for street/drive-ability. I want it stay in a form where I can just hop in it at anytime and drive it anywhere without having to worry about anything.

Rudders331cobra

Established Member
Well, it is and will always be a street car. I will always sacrifice power/performance for street/drive-ability. I want it stay in a form where I can just hop in it at anytime and drive it anywhere without having to worry about anything.

I agree with encasedmetal throw some decent heads on her, a set of cams and have a strong N/A.

95PGTTech

Established Member
I'm actually an advocate for HIGH static C/R and boost. Mind you, on 93 octane you won't be able to run the 18-20 psi that some 8.8:1 builds can, but you can still run boost without issue. The higher static C/R will really help spool time and the part throttle feel of the car, very important to me in a street car.

The most important part of any build is finding who you feel you are comfortable with tuning the car, then discuss with them. Opinions are like assholes on these forums but the only person that needs to be comfortable with the setup is the tuner - what has he used, what does he prefer, etc.

Tabres

Not without incident
Established Member
Is E-85 available in your area? Without changing quite a bit of stuff, I think that's about your only ticket to running decent boost levels, if you have the fuel system to support it.

Doug

That Person.
Established Member
No, E-85 is not available here :(

I'm not looking to run rediculous amounts of boost. My goals are towards the 500 range which I wouldn't think would take a lot of boost to acheive.

I thought about the NA route, but i'd rather not have super aggressive cams..

I guess bascially what I'm asking is - If I were to literally slap a turbo and IC on the car what would be a safe/acceptable level of boost to run?

encasedmetal

WHINO!
Established Member
if you're hell bent on boost- get the turbo setup and pony up for the vampire knock system- that way you can truly tune the car for the amount of boost that is safe as opposed to guessing and possibly losing that bet.

Users who are viewing this thread