Compressor map and info

kino

Established Member
I attached a link here for those looking to see compressor maps. Also attached are two links for those who do not know how to read one. I have not found compressor maps for Gt47 series yet.

Compressor map link:

www.rbracing-rsr.com/turbotech.html

Compressor maps and also brief tutorial along with PRs already calculated for the DOHC 281

www.forcedinductions.com/consumption281dohc.htm

If you want to know the actual math behind all that:

www.turbomustangs.com

or read Corky Bell's book Turbochargers (grear read btw). You can get it on amazon.com which is where I got mine.

You be surprised what a 281 DOHC can push. I can see why also several vendors believe that a 76GTS is the smallest to go with.

Forgot one link. It does not have the PTE76GTS but it does have the t-76.
www.turbocharged.com/catalog/compmaps/t76.html

Last edited:

kino

Established Member
Sure. I still looking to dig up more compressor maps. Apparently Garrett seems fit not to show off the GT47s or GT42-76.

One thing to remember is that turbos get improvements quite often so those may not be representative of the newer versions. For instance the T76 will no doubt have a much narrower map compare to a 76gts but alas no map to show the 76gts.

but i have these on GT turbos.

www.pagparts.com/Garrett_Turbochargers.asp?spec=turbospec&type=gt42

Last edited:

LargeOrangeFont

Raise your fist in resist
Established Member
Excellent post!

It will be hard to get the maps for the newer designed turbos. AFAIK Garrett dosen't release them. I know a few pros who don't even have the compressor maps for the turbos they run on their drag cars, and Garrett won't provide them. We can get a basic idea though, which is probably good enough.

Ashley

Last edited:

kino

Established Member
LargeOrangeFont said:
Excellent post!

It will be hard to get the maps for the newer designed turbos. AFAIK Garrett dosen't release them. I know a few pros who don't even have the compressor maps for the turbos they run on their drag cars, and Garrett won't provide them. We can get a basic idea though, which is probably good enough.

Ashley

That is what makes this tough to do. For instance its accepted that a PTE76GTS has a fatter compressor map, but no map to show it. The Garett turbos like the gt42-76 and GT47-80 are more of a crap shoot without the maps to see exactly where the 281 DOHC would fall. I hve no doubt a 4.6 can push those turbos, just look at Tim Plamer's old 98 cobra. He had stock head and cams with a 91.5 mm turbo and ran 8.3s and 8.6s at 160+mph. So from his example, is reason enough to me that even a GT42-76 or GT47-80 can work for our cars.

smashedheadcat

Established Member
LargeOrangeFont said:
Excellent post!

Ashley

I thought you read a GT47 compressor map and determined it was worthless on any 4.6?? Can you post up that compressor map??

kino

Established Member
smashedheadcat said:
I thought you read a GT47 compressor map and determined it was worthless on any 4.6?? Can you post up that compressor map??

Some maps are not put out for public viewing from what I have seen. I think some of these companies only give out those maps to vendors. I could be wrong on that but it seems like that is so.

LargeOrangeFont

Established Member
smashedheadcat said:

I said It would be worthless ON A STREET CAR WITH A STOCK MOTOR. It would be fine if you are running 8-9 second passes on a BUILT MOTOR.

You don't even need a compressor map to figure that out. Its huge!

kino said:
Some maps are not put out for public viewing from what I have seen. I think some of these companies only give out those maps to vendors. I could be wrong on that but it seems like that is so.

Exactly. Some of their racers get them too, which is how I saw the map in the first place. I will see If I can get a copy for a gt47 that I can actually share with others.

Ashley

Last edited:

smashedheadcat

Established Member
LargeOrangeFont said:
I said It would be worthless ON A STREET CAR WITH A STOCK MOTOR. It would be fine if you are running 8-9 second passes on a BUILT MOTOR.

I will see If I can get a copy for a gt47 that I can actually share with others.

Ashley

Easy, I just wondered if you had a copy you wouldn't mind posting up. Thing of it is though, these street cars are going 9's. Well, HP is. I don't see any reason why the other twin boys shouldn't be able to (powerwise) either.

LargeOrangeFont

Established Member
smashedheadcat said:
Easy, I just wondered if you had a copy you wouldn't mind posting up. Thing of it is though, these street cars are going 9's. Well, HP is. I don't see any reason why the other twin boys shouldn't be able to (powerwise) either.

I'm sure the Hellion cars will go 9s as well. Trbo Vnm's car is doing 10.49s with a road race type suspension.

You could definately drive around with gt-47. If you want something with 1000+ HP is it a no brainer. Put it on there.

The around town would be laggy and soft compared to a T76. Freeway passing would mean dropping 2 gears. It would be no fun messing around at stoplights because you would have no power. If you wanted to dump at 5k you would blow off the tires.

Most people that drive ther cars for any amount on the street or road course will find a smaller turbo much more rewarding to drive, and it will be a faster car.

Ashley

Last edited:

CHINI

Do Work
Established Member
So what is this exactly? Does the tuner do this "mapping" or should HP send me the maps? I am kinda confused...

LargeOrangeFont

Established Member
C H I N I said:
So what is this exactly? Does the tuner do this "mapping" or should HP send me the maps? I am kinda confused...

This is info the turbo manufacturer can provide. It basically tells you how much air the turbo flows. The links above are a great place to get started.

Teej281

Established Member
This is gonna be quite odd, but i'm gonna post in here. I'm still very confused at how to read compressor maps. Can someone help me out here?

Teej281

Established Member
yea, see i need it in english, not science. I understand what all those equations mean, but on the map, where do you want your setup to fall? Thats what I'm looking for. I can plug and chug with numbers and get answers just fine. But when you plot those numbers on the chart, where do you want them to fall. I'm assuming you want those numbers to fall into the center "circle" area if you will, rather than the outlying areas.

Is this assumption correct?

Users who are viewing this thread