Computer Guru's, how to...

Ginsu

Established Member
I have a PC laptop which I am about to sell; is there a way to reset it to factory standards as well as remove any of my personal registration off of it? Thanks! OBW it is using Windows XP OS

Snake-Shadow

Established Member
Pop in the system restore CD and set it back to the factory settings or a big magnet will do the trick..

j/k about the magnet thing..

Snake-Shadow

Established Member
Actually, I need to be a little more specific. What brand and model is the laptop? If you use the system restore cd it is the same as reinstalling Windows XP Pro however, during the install you need to specify whether or not it is a "fresh" install and also you need to delete the current partions and volumes.

M@

skajake83

far from stock
Established Member
If you want to permanently delete any of your files off of there then download a program called maxblast. It's a binary or low level formating tool. It writes a 0 over every bit on the harddrive. A fresh install from a recovery cd will just reset the bit to a 0, telling the OS that it can write to that space. That doesn't mean the data isn't still there though until written over and even then. If you wanted to be really paranoid or safe you could use maxblast a couple of times.

Users who are viewing this thread