Computer question for the masters around here

AzDropTop

Established Member
Here's the deal. When I unplug my laptop from AC power it continues to run, but does not sense that it is on battery power? Obviously the battery is working, but when I try to change power settings it doesn't let me and says "ON AC POWER" Before this began anytime I would unplug the power the screen would go into a power saving mode. I have a PPO plan so Best buy sent it off and they changed out the hard drive. It still doesn't work so it's sent off again. Any ideas?

NewKid

Aliens
Established Member
Bad battery or power supply. That would be my guess. You have a new HD, so it's not that. One thing it could be though is the motherboard and the cmos settings. I'm not too sure because I never really fool around with power settings.

AzDropTop

Established Member
NewKid said:
Bad battery or power supply. That would be my guess. You have a new HD, so it's not that. One thing it could be though is the motherboard and the cmos settings. I'm not too sure because I never really fool around with power settings.

The battery is new and they did mention the motherboard initially, but maybe they didn't check it out when it was in. I do think the male end where the power cord plugs in is loose too. thanks for the input. I'm kind of hoping they have to replace the whole thing and give me a new one. :)

NewKid

Aliens
Established Member
Ha, yeah that would be nice, good luck with it. It's just the Power supply or the MB now.

NewKid

Aliens
Established Member
AzDropTop said:
How hard is it to change the motherboard?

I have never messed around (hardware wise) with laptops, so I don't really know. However, because of the computers size and the size of a the MB, I imagine it wouldn't be easy without someone who has done it before. As traktrbeam said, it's going to take skills.

Steeltwo

Established Member
best buy and the geeksquad :)

i use to work at CompUSA and we use to get our fair share of best buy screwed up PC's. Or the gateway store, that place use to send people to compusa too answer questions they couldn't. That sux'd.

i'd put money on the logic board(laptop's motherboard) not working properly. They'll replace the laptop before swapping out the logic board.

as for tear down and build up.
depending on the laptop, it can take anywhere from 30 minutes to all fricking day. The new ones tend to be a bit more user friendly. I've stripped a dell inspiron down and put it back together in less than an hour.
and a old toshida, it took be 8 hours.

older laptops weren't meant to be taken apart. Some you actually have to break tabs to open them. Toshiba use to send plastic body parts to replace the old ones that needed to be broken.

AzDropTop

Established Member
Thanks for all the input computer studs! Much appreciated. The laptop is a Toshiba and is about 2.5 years old. :pepper: <--Me doing the I hope they can't fix it dance. LOL Thanks again.

31Charlie

My freakin car is crushed
Established Member
Ive got a similar problem. My laptop wont run for longer then 10 minutes if it is not hooked up to a power suply. Everything was fine with it, then one day windows went out. It wouldnt even load with out the BSOD. So I went out and bought a copy of Windows Home and installed it. So now I have Pro and Home. But the Home never worked but it made the Pro start up. I havent gotten around to deleting Home yet and now I have the problem with not working unless it is plugged in. I cant do to much either since I am deployed overseas. At least I bought an external HD to back up all my data.

31C

AzDropTop

Established Member
31Charlie said:
Ive got a similar problem. My laptop wont run for longer then 10 minutes if it is not hooked up to a power suply. Everything was fine with it, then one day windows went out. It wouldnt even load with out the BSOD. So I went out and bought a copy of Windows Home and installed it. So now I have Pro and Home. But the Home never worked but it made the Pro start up. I havent gotten around to deleting Home yet and now I have the problem with not working unless it is plugged in. I cant do to much either since I am deployed overseas. At least I bought an external HD to back up all my data.

31C

That sucks. Props on the external HD. I picked one up awhile ago when my laptop started to get filled up. It's only a 40Gig. External is an 80

Users who are viewing this thread