Computer whizzes please enter - need help with graphics car installation

black4vcobra

Established Member
Premium Member
Party Liquor Posse
So I got an older desktop computer from work for free and figured I'd use it as a spare. It's a Dell Vostro 460 with an i5 and 10 GB of RAM running Windows 7 professional. The onboard graphics are pretty weak so I bought a new video card for it, an XFX Radeon RX580 - https://www.bestbuy.com/site/xfx-am...0-graphics-card-black/6092641.p?skuId=6092641

I upgraded the power supply from the stock 350W to a 500W (which is required for the card) and the computer works with the new power supply. The problem is that when I install the video card and plug in my HDMI cable I get nothing on the screen, however, the fans on the card are running and a blue light is on. With the card installed I try the onboard graphics and that doesn't work either. I pull the card out and the computer works with the onboard graphics.

I tried disabling the onboard graphics and installing the card and still no signal. I took the CMOS battery out of the motherboard for a few hours and tried again and still no signal.

I checked on the box of the card and it says it supports windows 7 and requires an X16 PCI-E slot. Well the motherboard is a 0Y2MRG and it has an X16 PCI-e slot - http://www.findlaptopdriver.com/specs-0y2mrg-dell/

Went into the BIOs and there is nothing to do with video/display in there. Tried updating the BIOs and the computer has the latest version.

I'm pretty lost here so if anyone can help out I'd appreciate it. If someone can confirm that the computer is just too old to run that card that would be fine, I'll just return the card and get an older one but everything that I am seeing shows it should be able to run the card.

Ford>Chevy

Established Member
Notice that the card is PCIe 3.0 while the mb is PCIe 2.0. That could well be the problem.
Shouldn't make a difference. The card should still "work" however the bandwidth of the card would be limited by the lower performance of the slot. OP did you check to see if the card needs a 6 pin or 8 pin PCIe Power connector from the power supply? That could be a problem. Also the slot itself could be bad. I received a brand new motherboard with a bad X16 slot and had to complete a RMA. The only way I found out it was bad though, was to take out the card and put it in another computer. Good luck solving your problem. Could be a bad card right out of the box as well. It happens.

An outdated motherboard BIOS may cause this as well as the motherboard may not be able to detect the card. I would recommend updating the BIOS to the latest revision as well. You can likely find that on the Dell website and instructions on how to install it.

black4vcobra

Established Member
Premium Member
Party Liquor Posse
The card requires an 8 pin connection and came with a pigtail that goes from 8 pin to 2 6 pin connections.

The power supply has an 8 pin connector as well as a 6+2. I've tried the pigtail as well as both the 8 pin and 6+2. Once I didn't have the 6+2 plugged in correct and I got a red light on the card. Fixed it and I got a blue light.

Bios are updated, already checked the dell website. Wouldn't know if the slot was bad, it's never had a video card until now. Card could be bad, only way to know is to try another computer though and I don't have another desktop

bullitt2735

Established Member
hook the monitor up to the integrated graphics. ( still have the new card powered/plugged into the mobo) open up control panel, then system, then device manager, and see if the card is showing up under display devices in device manager first. If it is, right click on it and see if it is working properly.

Ford>Chevy

Established Member
The card requires an 8 pin connection and came with a pigtail that goes from 8 pin to 2 6 pin connections.

The power supply has an 8 pin connector as well as a 6+2. I've tried the pigtail as well as both the 8 pin and 6+2. Once I didn't have the 6+2 plugged in correct and I got a red light on the card. Fixed it and I got a blue light.

Bios are updated, already checked the dell website. Wouldn't know if the slot was bad, it's never had a video card until now. Card could be bad, only way to know is to try another computer though and I don't have another desktop
My money is on a bad slot or a bad card OP. Maybe take the card to a shop if you don't have a spare desktop to test or find a friend. I can't think of anything else. If the computer boots without it installed, I think you can obviously rule out problems with the CPU and RAM. I would also avoid using the pigtail. Either use the 6+2 or the 8 pin. Good Luck!

L8APEX

*Turbo Not to Scale
Established Member
Premium Member
Try a different HDMI cable. I've seen systems loose their crap with an old HDMI 1-1.2 and 2.0 cables. 1.4 seems to be the most prolific and most compatable right now.
It sounds like the card or the slot. But with That said try pulling most of the ram but a single dimm. If a stick is acting up it could mess up data on the pcie lanes. 10gb is an odd amount... hard to say how the memory is configured I'm guessing you might have an odd number of memory dimms/mixed brands speeds?
Sent from my Note8

Last edited:

black4vcobra

Established Member
Premium Member
Party Liquor Posse
hook the monitor up to the integrated graphics. ( still have the new card powered/plugged into the mobo) open up control panel, then system, then device manager, and see if the card is showing up under display devices in device manager first. If it is, right click on it and see if it is working properly.

Can't happen. Computer doesn't boot up if the card is installed but the HDMI cable is plugged into the onboard graphics. From my understanding the mobo should detect the new card yet when i plug it in i get nothing on the screen.

black4vcobra

Established Member
Premium Member
Party Liquor Posse
Try a different HDMI cable. I've seen systems loose their crap with an old HDMI 1-1.2 and 2.0 cables. 1.4 seems to be the most prolific and most compatable right now.
It sounds like the card or the slot. But with That said try pulling most of the ram but a single dimm. If a stick is acting up it could mess up data on the pcie lanes. 10gb is an odd amount... hard to say how the memory is configured I'm guessing you might have an odd number of memory dimms/mixed brands speeds?
Sent from my Note8

will try a different cable except the cable works with the onboard graphics and has never not worked before. the mobo has 4 slots for RAM, 2 have a 1 GB chip and 2 have 4 GB chips. The computer recognizes all 10 GB so i'm not sure that's the problem. Here's a pic -
RAM.jpg

Ford>Chevy

Established Member
will try a different cable except the cable works with the onboard graphics and has never not worked before. the mobo has 4 slots for RAM, 2 have a 1 GB chip and 2 have 4 GB chips. The computer recognizes all 10 GB so i'm not sure that's the problem. Here's a pic - View attachment 1481210
RAM is usually designed to run in dual channel (DDR, DDR2, DDR3, DDR4 and most chipsets), triple channel (DDR3, X58 chipset only), or quad channel (DDR4, X99 Chipset or Ryzen). If I were you OP, I would remove the two 1GB RAM sticks and keep the 2 4GB RAM sticks in and then test. If that doesn't work, then reverse. Pull the 4GB sticks and reinstall the 1GB sticks. The manual usually specifies which RAM slots need to be occupied for a successful system POST test so I would look into that to make sure they are installed in the correct slots. One more note, if the motherboard has 2 or more X16 slots, are you making sure to install the graphics card in the slot nearest the CPU Cooler? The computer will not POST properly otherwise.

SirShaun

Established Member
Try safe mode with networking, see if you can get video.

If still not enough success to get the new video card drivers installed.

Boot up using the integrated graphics, remove any display drivers, at worst it should just make a shitty resolution 800 x 600, then try to boot using the new graphics card again, without any video drivers installed.

I have a feeling the integrated graphics drivers are shitting on you.

black4vcobra

Established Member
Premium Member
Party Liquor Posse
Ok, will try the last suggestions on the RAM, safe mode and removing the display drivers. Thanks for the suggestions

03Sssnake

TK-421
Established Member
If it is not posting with the card installed, power off, remove the memory and power back on with card still installed. You should hear the 'no memory installed' beep codes, should get several short beeps without the RAM installed. Of course the machine won't post this way, but if you don't receive the beep codes with RAM out, then you know the new card is a problem.

quad

Established Member
What is the make and model of the 500w PSU that you installed? I had a cheap 650w Thermaltake PSU installed in my wife's computer with a 1070 GPU and had nothing but problems with it.

You should however at least get video posting on the new GPU even with a crap PSU.

But you want a high quality, "Gold Rated" PSU. Never go cheap with a PSU. I now have a 750w Gold Rated EVGA PSU running with her 1070 and it is working flawless.

My wife's new GPU also did not post the first time I turned on the computer after installing it. Had to switch from onboard to PCIE in the BIOS for the card to post video.

Have you tried booting up with the GPU installed but plugging the monitor into the onboard video port? Then change the primary display adaptor in the BIOS to PCIE and reboot. Move the monitor cable over to the RX580. Those RX580 cards also have a lot of ports on the back. Make sure you have it plugged into the right one reserved for the first monitor. You are using HDMI to HDMI correct?

Users who are viewing this thread