Concealed carry holster

MarcSpaz

Resident Trouble Maker
Established Member
Serpa holsters are unsafe and not allowed by several instructors I use.

That being said, anyone in a rush to holster their weapon is a fool. If the threat has ended why is one In a hurry to holster? Take your time and make sure your shirt, etc. Is out of the way.

I don't know that its a matter of being in a rush to holster, but rather the requirement to safely and easily holster a weapon with one hand. That need could be there for and endless number of reasons, but some examples would be...
1.) holding a flashlight
2.) handling a handcuffed suspect during an arrest
3.) trying to brace or support an obstacle that could be blocking a path or falling/leaning dangerously, etc.
4.) possibly trying to support yourself, trying to avoid a trip/fall or to maintain your balance.

Obviously I can't speak for everyone... just my opinion.

rwleonard

Established Member
There is nothing inherently unsafe about the SERPA. One does need to be trained to use it safely, though. FLETC kicked off the "no SERPA" thing, and I guess I understand why they would do that, from a liability standpoint. They are in a better position to assess the quality of their students and instruction than I am.
Once a major institution does it, everybody else pretty much has to as well, if only as a legal CYA. It pissed me off because I liked it as it gave pretty good retention quickly and easily, which is a real plus for some folks. I found that more useful, day in and day out, than being able to draw quickly.

OETKB

bad attitude
Established Member
There is nothing inherently unsafe about the SERPA. One does need to be trained to use it safely, though. FLETC kicked off the "no SERPA" thing, and I guess I understand why they would do that, from a liability standpoint. They are in a better position to assess the quality of their students and instruction than I am.
Once a major institution does it, everybody else pretty much has to as well, if only as a legal CYA. It pissed me off because I liked it as it gave pretty good retention quickly and easily, which is a real plus for some folks. I

I owned a SERPA once. I like the Safariland ALS and GLS systems. I've not carried them, but tried them, and felt there was less likelihood of making them go bang unintentionally.

HillbillyHotRod

Hooligan rabble rouser
Established Member
I have a Safariland GLS for my SA XDE and could not be happier. It is OWB and fits in the sweet spot just ahead of my hip bone. I do not have (ahem) extra padding so this is the most comfortable for me. I have tried IWB but they tend to be uncomfortable being pushed in by the belt. Since I do not have any real hips I have have to cinch the belt down to keep from looking like hood homie.

Klaus

Established Member
Premium Member
I have some extras laying around if anyone wants them. Free but you pay postage

leather IWB for sig 938 or the 380 version cant recall model number but same size as 938

leather kydex hybrid iwb for walther ppq. this one us a super nice shepherd horsehide.

kydex OWB for sw mp40

leather quick snap for HK p30.

PM me if you want them

OETKB

bad attitude
Established Member
I have some extras laying around if anyone wants them. Free but you pay postage

leather IWB for sig 938 or the 380 version cant recall model number but same size as 938

leather kydex hybrid iwb for walther ppq. this one us a super nice shepherd horsehide.

kydex OWB for sw mp40

leather quick snap for HK p30.

PM me if you want them
Heck of an offer there. Kudos

bglf83

Established Member
The Galco Royal Guard is the best IWB holster I have used in 29 years. The Galco King Tuk and the Crossbreed are the second best IWB holsters I have used... but I don't recommend those for appendix carry.
I use a King Tuk. I carry a Commander size 1911 in it. The Royal Guard looks like I would have less support.

MarcSpaz

Resident Trouble Maker
Established Member
I use a King Tuk. I carry a Commander size 1911 in it. The Royal Guard looks like I would have less support.

The Royal Guard is great if you use a 1.75" tac belt. If you are dressed well and using a cloth or leather belt and appearance is important, you are much better off with the King Tuk to distribute the weight.

I use the Royal Guard when I am untucked and using a tac belt. I use the King Tuk when I am in a shirt and tie for work, etc...

rwleonard

Established Member
I owned a SERPA once. I like the Safariland ALS and GLS systems. I've not carried them, but tried them, and felt there was less likelihood of making them go bang unintentionally.
I always thought the GLS was TOO easy to use, no matter how you, or someone else, grabs the gun, it's coming out.

MFE

Established Member
Once a major institution does it, everybody else pretty much has to as well, if only as a legal CYA. It pissed me off because I liked it as it gave pretty good retention quickly and easily, which is a real plus for some folks. I found that more useful, day in and day out, than being able to draw quickly.

Yeah, yeah, and there's nothing inherently unsafe about a pit bull. I had a neighbor who was Federal LEO firearms instructor shoot himself through the foot thanks to a fast draw with the patently retarded SERPA design, and I wouldn't carry one if you paid me $1,000.

Klaus

Established Member
Premium Member
Has anyone tried the 5.11 retention holsters? They have a knockoff of the safariland ALS that I was looking at. Some of the other 5.11 stuff looks kind of cheesy, not sure if the holsters are high quality or not.

ram150

USMC veteran
Established Member
Next people are gonna say they carry IWB or OWB but with no round in the chamber... oh brother.
That’s probably a whole other thread. :mad::eek:

03Sssnake

TK-421
Established Member
Next people are gonna say they carry IWB or OWB but with no round in the chamber... oh brother.
That’s probably a whole other thread. :mad::eek:

LOL, exactly...some folks seem very surprised, even shocked that I carry a gun on ready to rock. I simply ask them what good is a gun unloaded? Violence happens in the blink of an eye, you will not have time rack a round/**** the hammer or finger **** the safety. If you do have time to do those things, then you will be announcing to the bad guys you have a gun, thus giving up all elements of surprise.

ram150

USMC veteran
Established Member
EFFC15C7-53C0-4307-A70D-FE93F472E393.jpeg

ram150

USMC veteran
Established Member
@03Sssnake couldn’t have said it better!!!!!! I never purchase a gun with a safety, always have minimum 2 guns in the car. Perfect example: in your car getting car jacked in a fast food drive through line and can’t drive away, pull your IWB or OWB out if you have the chance but that’s it when you draw you must fire, well let me rack a round in the chamber. No time. Draw, fire.

rwleonard

Established Member
I think it's funny the software edits ****, as in the a male chicken. Let's see, can I type penis?

Users who are viewing this thread