Confusing belt size for Whipple 2.3L w/ 3.5" upper & stock lower?? Cant find it!

bonzai272

Looking for some help. I already searched but couldnt find anyone with the same setup.

Trying to determine which belt I need. The belt that came with the car with the stock Eaton was 74.5" and too short after the Whipple install. The one that shouldve fit per Whipple was 75.75" but it's still too short. With that belt, I can get a tiny bit of it to slip over the Whipple pulley but no way itll go on. I did already remove the stops on my tensioner. Any idea what size belt I need? Specs below. Thanks all!

Whipple 2.3L
3.5" upper pulley
Stock lower pulley
Stock idlers
Previous owner said alternator was replaced in the past due to failure but Im unsure if that changed the pulley size or not

bonzai272

Nevermind. I think I got it figured out. I used a tie down strap since it is flat and about the same width as the 8-rib belt, and then I routed it around all the pulleys as if it was a belt. I then marked it, removed it and measured it. Right at 77". Going to subtract 1" from that to account for the tension. Hopefully that does it.

94slowbra1

Established Member
That's the best way, measure. Napa should have all the belts in stock. Buy a few and see which one fits, return the rest.

01yellercobra

AKA slo984now
Established Member
FWIW, I'm running a 76.5" belt on my set up. 2.9 with a 3.5" pulley, two 100mm idlers, one 90mm idler, stock alternator and crank pulley. I have thr Whipple aux idler and it's even with the pulley under it and my tenioner is a tad above halfway on the tight side.

bonzai272

Thanks for the replies. So I measured 77" but was going to subtract 1" for tension, giving me a 76" belt. However, I decided to add Metco's 100mm aux/snub idler and they say to add 1" back in to account for it, so I ordered a 77" belt. Got it today but dont have my Metco yet. Either way, new belt fits well even without the Metco but I still seem to have the right amount of travel left to be able to add the Metco idler. once I receive it.

bonzai272

Just following up the outcome in case someone else is in the same boat. 77" belt worked great with 3.5" upper, stock lower, 100mm aux/snub idler and the rest of the pulleys and idlers are all stock.

Users who are viewing this thread