considering a 94 svt lightning

jphill1910

There is a 94 svt lightning for sale at a local dealer in my town and I have been obsessed with wanting one of these trucks. It is a legit lightning with a R in the vin and is in perfect shape interior wise. It does have some rust on the wheel wells and here n there but its a 18 year old truck, as to be expected. It has 115k miles and they are asking 7500 for it. I didnt know if this was a good buy or not. I was considering making this truck my DD. I didnt know what to expect as far as up keep with this truck as far as finding parts and the reliability. Any info is appriciated.

-J.Phill

KWClutch

Steve McQueen
Established Member
Sounds a bit high priced to me. Crap for gas mileage. I had a shift kit in the auto and it tanked twice.

The 5.8 is a great motor. I had a cam, intake and headers and I beat quite a few unsuspecting cars. Traction was always fun but I just kept about a 1/4 take in the rear tank and mainly used the side tank. If you don't drive very far it could be a good DD.

jphill1910

Thanks for the info guys. Im going for a test drive tommorow and will be able to assess it better. So far have only looked, went in after hours when I knew noone would pressure me to buy right away. Underneath there is no fluid accumulation and the exhaust is is good shape rust wise. Would consider a aftermarket exhaust. I have looked around a bit on craigslist and the price seems to be average, we will see if I can haggle them down, im usually pretty good at that. As far as distances I drive, my daily commute is only 8 miles one way. Hope for the best and the wife to be understanding.

-J.Phill

gfcobra04

Established Member
Premium Member
Check the transmission and make sure it has all the updates. If it is over 100,000 mi and not rebuilt, you may have to rebuild it shortly. Also the steering, take some long sweeping turns at speed to see if the front end wobbles.
Gary.

scoutdriver

Texas Techsan
Established Member
There is a 94 svt lightning for sale at a local dealer in my town and I have been obsessed with wanting one of these trucks. It is a legit lightning with a R in the vin and is in perfect shape interior wise. It does have some rust on the wheel wells and here n there but its a 18 year old truck, as to be expected. It has 115k miles and they are asking 7500 for it. I didnt know if this was a good buy or not. I was considering making this truck my DD. I didnt know what to expect as far as up keep with this truck as far as finding parts and the reliability. Any info is appriciated.

-J.Phill

I know this is an old post, but that's way over priced. I have a near perfect '94.

Users who are viewing this thread