Considering adding lighted door sills if you do not have them as OE?

Willie

Established Member
Sill Plate Colors.jpg
I discovered something interesting about Ford's lighted door sills recently and thought I'd share this. I bought a pair of the lighted SVT door sills about eight years ago to install in my 2008, which never came with them from Ford. According to the instructions, you can choose red, green or blue and wire them appropriately. Long story short: There is a way to add a rotary switch so you can choose any of the three colors by rotating the switch, BUT here is where it gets interesting I discovered recently. These sill plates have as many color options as the ambient lighting -- SEVEN!! It IS possible to connect an 12-position rotary (no such thing as a seven position) and be able to choose between all the colors.

Some of the pics are washed out or blurry. The colors are much more vivid in person. Stupid cell phone!

Mbiro594

Established Member
Wait so is this an aftermarket door sill or the OEM? If OEM how do you change the colors?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Black Cobra '99

Established Member
That's really cool.
I've looked at aftermarket lighted door sills but I didn't like them, but this is good.

Any chance you can connect it with the factory switch for the interior lighting?

Willie

Established Member
These were an option on the later models and the wiring incorporated them with the ambient lighting. In the earlier models that never had these as an option, there are two ways to wire them: 1) With the ambient lighting or 2) With the interior lighting. The problem is if you go with #1, they work with the ambient lighting and change colors with the factory switch, but they do not turn on when the doors are opened. With #2, they do. I chose #2.

einehund

Established Member
There was a how to a while ago that showed there are 4 base colors, and you can jumper multiple 12v leads to the 4 inputs on the stock sills to make these colors. I just changed mine from red to blue and left it as my car is blue. Point is, no reason to buy a switch when 2 inches of wire can do the same thing.

Users who are viewing this thread