Considering going to a Cowl Hood

cobra gt 07

Will Go 8's Eventually
Established Member
As I continue to attempt to get my ET down as low as possible, I am becoming more and more serious about weight savings. I am currently running a Cervinis Type IV Ram Air hood. I like the hood, but it is heavy and therefore not ideal for drag racing.

A friend of mine has been encorouging me to get a Cowl hood, which I have been resisting because I love the look/style of the KR and SuperSnake hoods. Over the last 2 days, I have spoken with Bruce at Full-Tilt Boogie Racing and Van at Revan Racing. A light-weight carbon fiber hood, or a Cowl hood has been the subject of discussion.

I have been looking at the Cervini and Trufiber websites for quite some time about options. Although the Ram Air hoods certainly look great, the Cowl hood offers the most clearance for a large supercharger, and most importantly, appears to offer good weight savings versus stock (and certainly compared to my current aftermarket Cervinis hood).

I have searched the forum, but I have not been able to find any first-hand confirmation of the weight of the Cowl hood options. Does anyone know the precise weight of the following Cowl hoods:

1) Cervini 2.5" Cowl (fiberglass)?
2) Trufiber 3" Cowl (fiberglass - their website reflects 40 lbs.)?
3) Trufiber 3" Cowl (carbon fiber - their website reflects 30 lbs.)?

bull3441

Established Member
the stock hood is not that heavy. most CF hoods are fiberglass with CF overlay. i'm no expert on this, but the guys i've known over the years who swapped hoods saved like 5lbs if that over a stock hood.

cobra gt 07

Will Go 8's Eventually
Established Member
From what I have seen on the weight savings threads on the forum, the stock/OEM hood weighs 52 pounds. My 3.6L Kenne Bell barely fits under my after market hood, and that is with 1/2" lowering motor mounts. According to the info on trufiber's website, which I am not sure is accurate, their Cowl hoods weigh either 30 (CF) or 40 (fiberglass) pounds. Cervinis has told me over the phone that my current hood weighs just 41 pounds, but I don't see how that can possibly be accurate.

bull3441

Established Member
From what I have seen on the weight savings threads on the forum, the stock/OEM hood weighs 52 pounds. My 3.6L Kenne Bell barely fits under my after market hood, and that is with 1/2" lowering motor mounts. According to the info on trufiber's website, which I am not sure is accurate, their Cowl hoods weigh either 30 (CF) or 40 (fiberglass) pounds. Cervinis has told me over the phone that my current hood weighs just 41 pounds, but I don't see how that can possibly be accurate.
check the "fat girl on a diet" thread he said the hood was 34lbs. http://www.svtperformance.com/forums/shelby-gt500-150/576066-fat-girl-diet.html PM him and ask where he got that figure from

Last edited:

cobra gt 07

Will Go 8's Eventually
Established Member

Robertt305

Devil Dog
Established Member
I have a truefiber CF cowl hood and it's heavy...

It's heavier then stock.

I think the stock one is pretty light, I was surprised when I took it off..

I just upgraded for its functionality and looks...

Robertt305

Devil Dog
Established Member
3682a8b6.jpg

5d97f14e.jpg

be40be7f.jpg

866256a6.jpg

13bde2a3.jpg

2aedcecc.jpg

fdbd2350.jpg

Robertt305

Devil Dog
Established Member
18fd4d1a.jpg

By the way your passenger wil complain about not seeing the road or anything uncritical of the car

cobra gt 07

Will Go 8's Eventually
Established Member
I wanted to call Trufiber and ask them about their carbon fiber hood and a few other goodies they offer. I don't see a phone number for them anywhere. According to the folks at Cervinis today, the shipping weight of my current hood (the Type IV Ram Air - 1197) is 51 pounds. The shipping weight of their cowl hood is 48 pounds. Each are steel reinforced.

I am being told by Cervinis' customer service that the hood packaging weighs approximately 10 pounds. I would really like to know how much the stock hood weighs. I have spoken with Blaine via PM and he confirmed that he did not get a chance to physically weigh his stock hood, so the actual weight of the stock hood is still unconfirmed.

Last edited:

evasive

Pro 2A Attorney
Established Member
Premium Member
Party Liquor Posse
Stock hood is aluminum and fairly light. I thought you could only save about 10lbs max.

Sent from my iPhone 4S

Last edited:

cobra gt 07

Will Go 8's Eventually
Established Member
I am looking for a really light-weight option for a hood, which doesn't appear to exist from the options I have found. It appears that hood manufactures are focusing more on durability than weight savings, even with CF hoods.

I was able to speak with trufiber's Customer service guy today via phone, and it is my understanding that the carbon fiber hood that they offer is also steel reinforced. I was told that their hood is heavier than stock, but also that their hood weighs approximately 30 pounds. Again, I was the under the impression that the stock hood weighs at least 34 pounds, if not more, which makes the discussion a bit confusing.

Not sure why someone is making a super light-weight hood for these cars. I am less concerned with the look of a hood, and more on performance/aerodynamics/weight savings.

cobra gt 07

Will Go 8's Eventually
Established Member
Carbon Fiber look

I got interested in the cowl hood because I was under the impression that it is more aerodynamic than a Ram Air style hood. Currently, when I go to the track, I am taping up the ram air on my current hood.

Hell you could add 10 lbs and I'd give it up for that look!!

Robertt305

Devil Dog
Established Member
The IAT2 went down with the cowl induction hood so yes it made a difference and a plus was that I no longer have hood shake I high speed like I did with the stocker.

In reference to aerodynamics..... I'm not sure but I believe the smooth transition and lift in the helps the turbulence going over your windshield.

On the negative side... The IAT2 went up at idle but as soon as I start rolling it drops almost immediately.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread