Considering taking a look at this 92 Coupe

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
Unknown paint quality, it was carb swapped, interior trim is hanging, no fender liner, no wiper... just a lot of HELL NO from me.
I wouldn't say that the paint quality is an unknown. The seller clearly states "the paint is not good. It was painted Cobalt Candy Blue by the previous owner and did a poor job. It will need some minor bodywork and a repaint". As already stated, a (quality) paint job is going to be expensive, in part because the engine bay has to be painted as well as door jams, etc.

Paul hasn't mentioned what the asking price is, but if it's at the top end of what is expected for a '92 Notch then it very well might not be worth investing a lot of money in to bring it back. JMO. And the mileage definitely needs investigation once you pull a Carfax report. 58K seems pretty low for a Mustang that's been converted to carb and completely (economy) repainted. To paint the engine bay, the motor had to have been pulled, which again raises the question if the car was wrecked and re-built on a low budget.

SHOdown220

Established Member
I should have pulled the trigger on a fox years ago, always wanted one. I had 5 grand in my pocket and looked at several I just didn't feel were quite worth the money. The ones I passed on are probably low to mid teens now.

BlckBox04

I am the liquor
Established Member
Premium Member
I would offer 10 which honestly still seems kinda high but the market on everything right now is just completely out of whack

98 svt

Established Member
Premium Member
Thanks for all the advise guys. I'm not looking for a show stopper. I just want a cruiser for the weekends.
I would most likely return it to the stock intake etc (the car already is FI). He has a Holley Sniper EFI kit on it.
Yes, I can do most stuff on my own. Honestly, if I painted it again I would probably spray it in gray primer and just leave it. I've always been a fan of the "unfinished look" on muscle cars, it leaves a bit to your imagination.

The seller is asking $10,500. I'm thinking I could probably get him down to $9k or so.
Maybe today or tomorrow I can find the time to take a look at it.

I just feel the prices are going up up up, and if I don't grab one soon, then I may never get another one.

Dusten

Established Member
Seller claims it has a clean title. Not sure how he would hide a 100k mile discrepancy. In MA any mileage discrepancy is noted on the title.

The odometer won't show more than 99999. So you can't prove how many times it's rolled.

98 svt

Established Member
Premium Member
The odometer won't show more than 99999. So you can't prove how many times it's rolled.

I get that. I'm well aware they only have 5 digit odometers. But unless he was an original owner or had it unregistered for a long period of time and yet still drove it, there would be a discrepancy in the title if it was 100k off. Also, insurance keeps track of the mileage as well.
I'm sure Carfax would tell me some more of the story too.

EatonEggbeater

You tried to rob WHAT?
Established Member
AS I remember, the 5 lug conversion was really expensive so I didn't do it.

But (and some of you on here know about wheel bearings) I once did a wheel bearing replacement on a 4 cylinder mustang of around that year and the parts store gave me bearings for a V-8 that were too large. I had to go back and get the correct bearing.

So, from where I was, changing to a 5 lug setup, and replacing the wheels, was too costly- but if I'd converted a 4 cylinder to an 8, and was changing the wheels anyway then the conversion would make more sense. You'd be changing out both struts from a donor car for the stronger assembly first.

Correct me if I'm wrong, I was never a commercial mechanic.

93Cobra#2771

SVT God
Established Member
So the pics are carb, but he's put a Holley sniper EFI and big time fuel system? Was he planning major upgrades, or did he pull the major upgrades (for example was it a drag car)?

No Wiper motor.
Broken Ash Tray Door.
Inner fenders gone.
Likely an interior swap.
Heater bypassed?

Dollars to donuts this car has lots more miles than stated. Who paints a 58k mile car with a bad paint job? Someone who paints a 158k mile car with lots to hide.

I wouldn't give over 8k for it. And in this case, I'd pass before I gave it 8k. Way too many questions and missing stuff.

For 15-20k you can find a 100k plus driver in better shape/less questions/likely in need of paint and other freshening up.

With this one, you already know you need paint, and no telling what is hiding under the paint.

Last edited:

Detroit Iron

Established Member
Premium Member
Fox bodies are getting hard to value due to their prices increasing so much in the past few years. I personally wouldn't pay 10.5K for that car. With the work that needs to go into it and "unknowns", I would hold off to buy a cleaner, original one for ~15K range. If you buy this car for 10.5K, you are going to be in that range pretty quickly after doing a little work.

Keep us posted where this goes. I'm continuously amazed at what these cars are fetching today.

q6543

Established Member
I want to hear how the test drive goes.... is it smooth, powerful and clean??

Or a noisy, leaky vibrating slug?

Definitely check good for leaks.

You gotta check it out though... for shxts n giggles... and we're all fully invested in the story!!

98 svt

Established Member
Premium Member
Is this the car for sale in Ashby ?

No, it's in Wilmington.

I think I'm gonna pass on it though. I just dont realistically have anywhere to park it that it wouldn't just be sitting in the driveway. I'm gonna wait a little longer until I get that situation remedied.

Jake, PM coming your way.

Kevins89notch

Established Member
I wouldn't say that the paint quality is an unknown. The seller clearly states "the paint is not good. It was painted Cobalt Candy Blue by the previous owner and did a poor job. It will need some minor bodywork and a repaint". As already stated, a (quality) paint job is going to be expensive, in part because the engine bay has to be painted as well as door jams, etc.

LOL, I barely read the ad. I was more stating in general, unless you know the shop that did a paint job and they have tons of photos showing the process, then for 99% of people, the quality of a paint job is questionable.

Dusten

Established Member
I get that. I'm well aware they only have 5 digit odometers. But unless he was an original owner or had it unregistered for a long period of time and yet still drove it, there would be a discrepancy in the title if it was 100k off. Also, insurance keeps track of the mileage as well.
I'm sure Carfax would tell me some more of the story too.

Varies by state.
Many states dont check odometers after a certain year.(usually 10) or if they've exceeded limits.
My insurance has never asked for mileage.

My buddy bought a 1 owner 34,000 mile fox that turned out to have 234k.

Dusten

Established Member
So the pics are carb, but he's put a Holley sniper EFI and big time fuel system? Was he planning major upgrades, or did he pull the major upgrades (for example was it a drag car)?

No AC.
No Wiper motor.
Broken Ash Tray Door.
Inner fenders gone.
Likely an interior swap.
Heater bypassed?

*Edit, says new AC? Why doesn't current owner take updated pics? Yet another red flag for me.

Dollars to donuts this car has lots more miles than stated. Who paints a 58k mile car with a bad paint job? Someone who paints a 158k mile car with lots to hide.

I wouldn't give over 8k for it. And in this case, I'd pass before I gave it 8k. Way too many questions and missing stuff.

For 15-20k you can find a 100k plus driver in better shape/less questions/likely in need of paint and other freshening up.

With this one, you already know you need paint, and no telling what is hiding under the paint.

The Holley sniper looks like a carb...

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
LOL, I barely read the ad. I was more stating in general, unless you know the shop that did a paint job and they have tons of photos showing the process, then for 99% of people, the quality of a paint job is questionable.
Shame on you, Kevin. LOL.

CobraSam

Established Member
You get that car for 8-9K, I’d say you’re in real good shape. Depending of course that the car checks out. Strut towers good, rear frame rails good, under the windshield cowl good. And all the other obvious stuff.
You need help with that Holley EFI, give me a shout. Got pretty damn good at it after Chris couldn’t really figure it out. Lol

Users who are viewing this thread