Considering wrapping my 10th Silver Metallic car.

wckdvnm

Established Member
As the title says I’m contemplating this. The one thing that I’d be worried about is the OEM paint underneath if I do wrap the car. The paint is in 9/10 condition now.

I tried a search and hadn’t seen any threads about this for a couple years.

Anyone had their car wrapped? Is the paint good when wrap is done? I never wanted a silver car. Don’t get me wrong it’s grown on me and I love it. But think it would be fun to change it up for a few years.

Chris

As stated above the paint on the new edge cars can be thin in spots and I have seen some lift. The ones I saw done the owners were looking for a color swap for repainting the factory color so to them it wasn’t a issue. This is one of the reasons you don’t see many wrapped cobra’s as owners like it to be original paint.

Roots-type

+displacement
Established Member
There's no way I'd wrap 20yr old paint unless it was already trashed. Like 909 said, you'll pull it right off. If you're worried about chips (and you ought to be because as paint ages it dries out and becomes more brittle and susceptible to chipping), stay far back when following other cars, especially on highways.

Goocher0310th

Established Member
I’ve decided against doing anything other than being careful. Wrapping it and taking a chance isn’t and option anymore especially when I was quoted 3800-4200.

And a clear bra to be put on the hood and have it peel off in a few years after removal isn’t an option.

I’ve decided to order a new set of TF wheels with my wrapping money.

phils04gt

Established Member
Hmmmm.... that's not good. Been waiting for a guy to remove the wrap from his cobra so i can buy it. Hopefully the paint isn't ruined. Says it's perfect underneath. Been wrapped a couple times too.

CJHAMIL

Pew Professional
Established Member
I've done a lot of detailing and I've removed a fair amount of wraps/old PPFs. The paint will be fine with proper prep before application. Of note if you have a resin delivered ceramic coating don't bother trying to wrap it as the coating will not allow the vinyl will not stick.

If you do get it wrapped, in order to remove it just use steam and take your time. It will not lift unless you are impatient and just start ripping it off like a goon.

Users who are viewing this thread