Coolant Combo

Exit Speed

Alpha Omega Racing
Established Member
What is a proven coolant combo to help reduce temps during tracking and towing. Thanks in advance for the insight.

tomshep

Another R Addict
Established Member
The best coolant is pure water but the boiling point is too low for many applications. Under pressure it does increase. Antifreeze obviously keeps coolant from freezing if at proper levels but it also raises the boiling point of the water as well. A coolant "helper" such as water weter also assists the passing of heat from the motor to the coolant for more efficient heat removal.

If you are running on a track I would encourage you to try and run water and maybe water weter. Any antifreeze spilt on a track is as bad as hitting oil. And more difficult to get off than oil.

Tom

Exit Speed

Alpha Omega Racing
Established Member
These additives must be designed to promote the transfer of heat. Has there been any testing done in a lab or back to back track testing to sell the claims that are made?

Exit Speed

Alpha Omega Racing
Established Member
ShelbyGuy said:
its not an additive. its straight propylene glycol instead of ethylene glycol and water.
whatever the choice is, whether it be Evans, water wetter, pro-blend, etc., I am looking for proof that this product will improve cooling system efficiency with either lab or track testing.

NJ2000R

Certified FORD Fanatic!
Established Member
ShelbyGuy said:
a simple antifreeze change wont make an 03/04 run less hot on the track.
correct....It should run a little cooler with Evans coolant, but it wont boil over....to get it to run cooler, you'll need to do the 03/04 cooling mods....

03'Darin

Established Member
What ever you do....DON'T put water wetter in with the stock anti-freeze. :nono: It's makes a very nice brown sludge and is a mofo to clean out. :bash:

My next winter mods project is going to be the evans cooling mods. If you o/t an 03/04 Cobra there really is no way around it.

Darin

Jimmysidecarr

Semi user friendly
Established Member
03'Darin said:
What ever you do....DON'T put water wetter in with the stock anti-freeze. :nono: It's makes a very nice brown sludge and is a mofo to clean out. :bash:

My next winter mods project is going to be the evans cooling mods. If you o/t an 03/04 Cobra there really is no way around it.

Darin

The coolant flow restrictions at the thermostat and oil cooler/oil fliter housing/coolant inlet(damn what a freaking mouth full no wonder this multi-function item is not the optimal piece for open track!!!).... prevent sufficient coolant flow to keep engine temps in check during sustained WOT operation...

1. The oil temps get added to the coolant temps :bash:
2. The oil cooler inhibits the flow of the coolant into the block while it is adding all the elevated oil heat to the coolant :bash:
3. The thermostat and housing is still a questionable topic at this point... I'm reserving judgement at this time... though the location and bypass arrangement... in my opinion are beyond screwy!!! The amount of hot water bypassed to the inlet has yet to be explained to me to the point where I can get behind the factory set up :nonono:

Proven winners in terms of removing heat from engine...
Air to oil.... oil cooler :rockon:
(that involves a side benefit a significant improvement in coolant flow in gallons per minute GPM..)
Actual temps you will not find... the testing is far too expensive...
But Evans has done extensive flow testing and has nearly doubled coolant flow in the Terminator application... when the whole system is incorporated.

There are quite a few guys running this set up in an open track application that have enjoyed zero limp modes since doing it...

An excellent and extremely fast example that comes to mind would be 03 Cobra Toy...

Lap time at MSR Houston w/full interior, A/C, and stock seats!!!

1.55 / 1.56!!!

The current American Iron record = MSRH 1:45.869 John George (AI) 02/05/2006 weight = 3168

03 Cobra Toy race weight.... some where near 4K!!!

Mr. Mysti

Established Member
I can tell you what doesn't work, or what is not enough.

Fluidyne Radiator
GordsFord H/E
Stock Thermostat w/ (3) 1/8" Holes Drilled in it
Water Wetter
LDC Cooling MOD
Tracking With the Heat on Inside the Car

All this w/ Stock Eaton w/ stock pulley/boost. Zero engine mods except for RAI, Mid-Pipe & Cat-Back. I can get the car to go into limp mode pretty easily on a hot day. This last Sunday on a 70 degree day, I don't know WTF happened, it went into a severe limp mode and did not want to idle. It was a 30 minute session and was driven hard.

Unfortunately, I think 03'Darin is right, there is no way around the Evans MOD if you want to track your car.

Mr. Mysti

Established Member
ShelbyGuy said:
according to my in-car cam video timecode, that last session was just a hair under 45 minutes long. :D

is it any wonder we burned through an entire tank of gas after lunch?

Actually two tanks after lunch. And one tank was just for the last session.

:rockon: :pepper: :banana:

Now host the Video John. :poke:

:beer:

Last edited:

03'Darin

Established Member
ShelbyGuy said:
according to my in-car cam video timecode, that last session was just a hair under 45 minutes long. :D

is it any wonder we burned through an entire tank of gas after lunch?

Sorry to dip off topic here.... :nono: ..... but have you replaced your front hubs yet Shelbyguy?? If so have you done it for safety or did you have a failure?

Darin

03'Darin

Established Member
ShelbyGuy said:
im on my fourth set of front wheel bearings. they let you know when they need to be changed.

Uh oh!! How exactly do they do that? I'd hate to be caught at the track with a failure and not have a spare hub. I've heard from some people that they just fail. Has that happened to you? I've probably got about 10 track days on my car and 10,000 total miles. I'm wondering if I should just replace them to be safe. Some friends of mine that run Grand Am used to replace theirs every couple weekends.

NJ2000R

Certified FORD Fanatic!
Established Member
03'Darin said:
Uh oh!! How exactly do they do that? I'd hate to be caught at the track with a failure and not have a spare hub. I've heard from some people that they just fail. Has that happened to you? I've probably got about 10 track days on my car and 10,000 total miles. I'm wondering if I should just replace them to be safe. Some friends of mine that run Grand Am used to replace theirs every couple weekends.
I replace mine at the beginning of every season, and carry spares....cheap insurance!

Users who are viewing this thread