Coolant drain plug help

b_dike

Established Member
How do you remove this plug on the driver side of the engine block. I was reading a how to on it. Which said to use a 17mm socket. Well it's not a nut, but a #8 allen head fits inside of it. Are there any special tools I could use to loosen the plug. Has anyone else come across this problem? What tool did you use?

I have an allen wrench that fits it, but it's more of a household tool than a mechanics tool. I just can't get enough force on it.... :shrug:

Please help as this is the only problem left between me and getting my cobra running for the summer.(I hope)

Thanks in advance

ripnesscobra

Established Member
I used the proper sized allen socket with a ratchet and it came off no problem. Is that what you are using or just a normal allen wrench?

b_dike

Established Member
I used the proper sized allen socket with a ratchet and it came off no problem. Is that what you are using or just a normal allen wrench?

Nope all I have is a regular allen wrench. Didn't even know they made allen head socket wrenches. lol :shrug:

Guess I'll be buying a new tool. :beer:

b_dike

Established Member

Ya so i went and got an allen socketthis morning but the plug still doesnt budge. So now what are my options? I really dont want to drill out the plug. Any thoughts?

ripnesscobra

Established Member
It sounds like you need to apply more torque to remove it. It should come out fairly easily once you have a socket/extension/ratchet setup which you can apply enough torque with. What specifically are you using right now for a socket/extension/ratchet?

Johnny03

Johnny
Established Member
My coolant plug allen hole is stripped. I always carefully use channel locks to take it off until I find a new one.

b_dike

Established Member
It sounds like you need to apply more torque to remove it. It should come out fairly easily once you have a socket/extension/ratchet setup which you can apply enough torque with. What specifically are you using right now for a socket/extension/ratchet?

Im using an 8mm allen socket with a 3/8 extension and a 3/8 socket wrench.

b_dike

Established Member
Would it be wise to try and flush the system without draining the block/heater core?

Just a thought... :shrug:

SnakeBit

Mid-Life Crisis my ass!
Established Member
I would try to put a pencil torch on it first. It might have thread sealant on it. Even if it is just galled in place, heat will cause the bolt to expand and break the bond on the threads. Then as it cools, the bolt should come right out.

I have sawed off a couple of inches of an allen wrench then put it in a socket of the correct size. Since I have access to a mill at work, I have also drilled and tapped a small hole on the side of the socket for a set screw. Then as the hex wears, it can be replaced with a virgin piece.

You can also slip a box wrench over the end to gain better leverage, or slip a pipe over the end to extend. Both ways work well.

TRBO VNM

Im using an 8mm allen socket with a 3/8 extension and a 3/8 socket wrench.

How big are you? I am only 185 and haven't had issues removing either the hex head plug or socket head plug. Put some muscle behind the thing. There is only factory thread sealant on it, just like on the trans plugs and diff plug. Just make sure you are square with it so you don't slip and start stripping it.

I would try to put a pencil torch on it first. It might have thread sealant on it. Even if it is just galled in place, heat will cause the bolt to expand and break the bond on the threads. Then as it cools, the bolt should come right out.

I have sawed off a couple of inches of an allen wrench then put it in a socket of the correct size. Since I have access to a mill at work, I have also drilled and tapped a small hole on the side of the socket for a set screw. Then as the hex wears, it can be replaced with a virgin piece.

You can also slip a box wrench over the end to gain better leverage, or slip a pipe over the end to extend. Both ways work well.

Most of these (aside from mill), should be common sense. Some people just need to step back and think about what they are trying to accomplish and figure out different ways to try it. I have a nice little varienty of allen wrenches I have modified for different tasks. People freak out too quick and are in too much of a rush. Calm down, relax and use your brain. If you are mechanically capable, you can get it done. Sometimes it takes a few different techniques to get the job done.

TRBO VNM

My coolant plug allen hole is stripped. I always carefully use channel locks to take it off until I find a new one.

Are you talking about the plug in the crossover tube? If so, the OP is talking about the block plug, which last time I checked you couldn't get channel locks on it unless it was the hex head style plug. And you can find these plugs at your local hardware store. The crossover plug is a different story. I have used channel locks on it as well. you can weld a nut on it if needed to make it easier to remove. I know a guy that made a nice SS plug, but I think he stopped. someone else may have started making them. Search for it. coolant crossover plug.

rickrubin2

Established Member
I always use a just the ratchet I can't remember if it is a quarter or Half inch but it fits perfectly I hate using Allan wrenches I always strip them

rickrubin2

Established Member
Here is a picture
c6e4e2a5-db5a-ece6.jpg
fits nice and snug

b_dike

Established Member
How big are you? I am only 185 and haven't had issues removing either the hex head plug or socket head plug. Put some muscle behind the thing. There is only factory thread sealant on it, just like on the trans plugs and diff plug. Just make sure you are square with it so you don't slip and start stripping it.

Most of these (aside from mill), should be common sense. Some people just need to step back and think about what they are trying to accomplish and figure out different ways to try it. I have a nice little varienty of allen wrenches I have modified for different tasks. People freak out too quick and are in too much of a rush. Calm down, relax and use your brain. If you are mechanically capable, you can get it done. Sometimes it takes a few different techniques to get the job done.

Thanks TRBO VNM you are absolutely right. lol Just now got the plug out. :banana: Just needed a little more force. I was a little scared at first because the allen head was starting to strip the plug. Which is because I wasn't completely square with it. Like TRBO said... Probably didn't help much with me being a bigger guy (245lbs) and there is just enough room for me to slide under there... lol or maybe I'm just getting weak. :shrug:

Either way thanks for the help once again guys.

Users who are viewing this thread