Coolant splash..

SVT_S5

Established Member
So I have this weird problem, on wot pulls coolant sprays from the reservoir through the driver hood vents then onto my windshield. I searched and my guts tells me it a hg BUT there’s no white smoke, overheating, coolant in oil; oil in coolant etc..

Am I lifting a head or something? I’m on #17 which is not high of a boost!

Thanks!

7e2054ea88f80a598c08af4e2059b6e1.jpg

And here’s a video of the coolant reservoir (just parked it, engine off)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

SVT_S5

Established Member
Get a tester and check for exhaust gases in the coolant. Same thing happened to me, car ran fine but would puke coolant under boost.

I forgot to mention, there isn’t any place selling the test kit AFAIK, can’t import it from the US also (Something about the fluid being toxic, I live in Kuwait).

Is there any kind of way to do it without the test kit?

Also, if you don’t mind me asking; did your car ran a bit slower while you had this puke under boost? any whp lost? I hope it’s my mind playing games on me!

SVT_S5

Established Member
The stock coolant tanks warp with heat and the caps do not seal anymore. Could be a simple tank swap to fix the issue.

Good point, I actually overheated last winter without me noticing (Don’t ask how), kept driving for a mile maybe ;/

Anyway, I purchased the car 2 years ago and I could swear it did it on my 3rd or 4th day of ownership, at that time I thought it was just water because I remember I had washed the car that day.

SVT_S5

Established Member
Some rough looking coolant - you sure there’s no oil?

A bad tank or cap can also cause it vent

I literally tasted the coolant using my fingertips, tastes like coolant lol, but I do agree it look’s weird though!

Changed the cap and it still does it.

DSG2003Mach1

Established Member
Premium Member
I literally tasted the coolant using my fingertips, tastes like coolant lol, but I do agree it look’s weird though!

Changed the cap and it still does it.

Tank would be the next step if you can’t verify another way
Being in Kuwait my guess would be IAT2 got out of control and it detonated but who knows

Roush6018

Established Member
that coolant looks terrible, my coolant is actually clear because i'm running water-less coolant. you clearly have too much pressure in the coolant reservoir and the coolant should be dark green when new and light green after 3 years of use.

the first reply to your answer is correct. However, he did not tell you how he fixed it. He said you need to verify there is exhaust gas from the 8 cylinders you have getting into that one coolant reservoir you have. if this test result is positive, you have a reason to drop the motor and replace both head gaskets.

we shouldn't tell you to change the gaskets if this test is negative for exhaust gas in the coolant. But, with that coolant spraying under boost , people have had this problem, and they have fixed this problem with new headgasket's.

if you keep driving, it can damage the block surface and the cylinder head surface which will need to be repaired at the same time as the head gasket.

SVT_S5

Established Member
that coolant looks terrible, my coolant is actually clear because i'm running water-less coolant. you clearly have too much pressure in the coolant reservoir and the coolant should be dark green when new and light green after 3 years of use.

the first reply to your answer is correct. However, he did not tell you how he fixed it. He said you need to verify there is exhaust gas from the 8 cylinders you have getting into that one coolant reservoir you have. if this test result is positive, you have a reason to drop the motor and replace both head gaskets.

we shouldn't tell you to change the gaskets if this test is negative for exhaust gas in the coolant. But, with that coolant spraying under boost , people have had this problem, and they have fixed this problem with new headgasket's.

if you keep driving, it can damage the block surface and the cylinder head surface which will need to be repaired at the same time as the head gasket.

I will ask around about the tester kit then, I’m sure there’s someone who has it.

Will there be a decrease in power with these symptoms?

LV_Ford_Fan

Established Member
Check the gasket on the cap and pressure test the cap. You can also use the same pressure tester to see if the system holds pressure.

I do this every oil change as you never know when the cap starts to not hold the correct pressure. You can also do the same procedure on the intercooler.

SVT_S5

Established Member
I’ll go with Moroso tanks for both reservoirs next month, flush the entire cooling system and add new coolant.

If the problem is still there then it’s definitely a hg!

SVT_S5

Established Member
UPDATE:

So I borrowed a gas leak detector from work, ran the car to operating temperature and I set the device to maximum sensitivity:

To my surprise, it didn’t rapidly beep! No exhaust gases in coolant.

And yes, I tested the device at work and at home just to double check things..

Oh, and I also noticed that the intercooler/HE reservoir cap is tightening much better than the radiator cap, like I needed a bit more force to tighten it. I already ordered an aluminum tank yesterday.

Last edited:

DCguy

Established Member
I would start by thoroughly flushing your coolant system and going from there…..your coolant is in desperate need of it. Great video showing how to do this Malcolm recently made.

Last edited:

SVT_S5

Established Member
I would start by thoroughly flushing your coolant system and going from there…..your coolant is in desperate need of it. Great video showing hot to do this Malcolm recently made.

Thanks for sharing!

Yeah once I get the new aluminum tank I’ll do that.

Users who are viewing this thread