Cooling mods-where to start?

gwalker

Established Member
I am looking to start some cooling mods, wheres the best place to start? Heat exchanger, cooling tanks?

gwalker

Established Member
2.3 whipple with 3.1 pulley and supporting mods. I wont be going to track, just street use. How do I tell if I have the thermostat already?

SlowSVT

Established Member
An intercooler tank or an HE will have zero impact on engine temps.

Different system.

Thermostat and the cooling mod gets my vote.

04cobra88

Established Member
quick question guys , not hi jacking the thread I was wanting to do the 170* tstat but everyone says you need to readjust your fans and a tuner has to do that?

is this true or can you just install that badboy and be done with it I have no tuner near me 5 hours +++ away
I have a sct xcal 2 can it be adjusted with that?

thanks and sorry for the newb questions

cobracide

Established Member
quick question guys , not hi jacking the thread I was wanting to do the 170* tstat but everyone says you need to readjust your fans and a tuner has to do that?
Yes, if you want maximum effect.

is this true or can you just install that badboy and be done with it I have no tuner near me 5 hours +++ away
I have a sct xcal 2 can it be adjusted with that?

thanks and sorry for the newb questions

You just need your current tune modified so you can adjust the fans.

Ford2ner

Established Member
Killer chiller, trunk mounted intercooler reservoir (or fuel cell) everything insualted, and heat exchanger deleted by far the best cooling mods for intake air temps. If you have a bigger than stock heat exchanger and killer chiller you are making the system less efficient by having more surface area exposed to the outside heat heating up the water your killer chiller just cooled down. The only way a bigger heat exchanger will be more efficient is if the ambient temp is colder than your intercooler fluid..

WhiTriCobra

PDP
Established Member
I have the 170 in my Cobra and L, they work great. Running a 30/70 mix in your coolant with water wetter or royal purple ice works pretty good.

For the SC, better HE, bigger reservoir, and during the summer you can run water with water wetter or royal purple ice. Make sure your pump is running good too.

Notsoslowbowtie

Established Member
Don't forget the even flow cooling mod. Not as important as t-stat and such but coming from the boating world I do this on everything I have for even temperatures for all cylinders. As a habit. And I did this before a heat exchanger upgrade.

Users who are viewing this thread