Cops and the "Donut" stereotype

NyteByte

Pro-Freedom
Established Member
I always thought the whole cops and donuts thing was just an old stereotype and didn't really give it much thought. However, I noticed that every morning when I pass a particular Krispy Kreme here in Chicago, the parking lot has anywhere between four and six cop cars in it. Also, this forum is called "Donut Shop".

The other day, I was talking to my uncle who used to be a cop. We got on the topic of why people associate cops with donuts. He said that way back many years ago, cops who worked the night shift were required to take donut and coffee breaks every few hours. This was to prevent them from going without food for too long which I guess was a problem back then. It seems that the whole donut thing has somehow carried over into modern times.

This is an interesting bit of trivia, but do any of you "older" cops know if this is indeed true? If so, is the requirement of a donut break still on the books?

jshen

Established Member
I can tell from my old days in the Atlanta area, not many restaurants-coffee shops were open 24/7. Therefore, we would meet for coffee at Waffle House-Dunkin Donut shops, etc. For me it was more for the coffee to stay awake. All businesses love having officers hang around during early hours for the obvious.

FordSVTFan

Oh, the humanity of it all.
Established Member
jshen said:
I can tell from my old days in the Atlanta area, not many restaurants-coffee shops were open 24/7. Therefore, we would meet for coffee at Waffle House-Dunkin Donut shops, etc. For me it was more for the coffee to stay awake. All businesses love having officers hang around during early hours for the obvious.

+65,000 on the above.

I never heard of a requirement for officers to eat and drink coffee every two hours.

mswaim

Dark Side Poster
Established Member
Where I worked the donut shops opened for production around 1-2 in the morning making them the only place to find something quick to eat and fresh coffee. The owners/employees liked the company while they prepared batches of dough, and it made them feel safer. Keep in mind this was long before the roll-out of a convenient stop & rob on every corner and 24/7 gas stations, etc. Bottom line - they were working the same shift we were, so on slow nights they liked the company.

FNsweetS3

Crazy Gun Bunny!!!
Established Member
It is more of an open 24 hours thing... or really early thing.

When I worked the street.... we all hated the Dunkin Doughnuts... so the Exxon (tiger Mart) was our only other real choice.

BelvedereGTX

Banned
Im friends with a couple locals and they always hang out at the local WAWA. My one cop friend told they get all the coffee they want for free. I think that is cool. *edited by moderator - comment not necessary*

Iceman II

Right Behind You!
Established Member
Most of the Stop & Rob places love the police stopping in. It keeps the thugs and the drunks away. The coffee is on the house, not by our choice. Its just a place to take a break and PR a little.

Users who are viewing this thread