Corn and Cams

MikeHoncho

Who cares...
Established Member
I finally got the car back from the latest round of mods. The car made 844/798. Yes, the motor is still stock (other than the cams), and yes I know we are at the limit. Because of this, Lund has a conservative tune in it now. I know there is more in it, and we may turn it up for a run at the Tx Mile in a few weeks. Like always, I have to thank Van for all parts and guidance, Lund for the tune, and Kinetik Motorsport for the work.

Here's what I can think of:
L&M NSR cams.
E85- ID1300, Fore return fuel system.
PBH XBA, KB 168mm TB, JLT plastic 148mm.
stock TVS- 2.396 upper and IW 10% lower.
Kinetik Motorsport cooling package.
American Racing 1 7/8" headers w/ off-road H.
Spec P-trim.

571B3065-7F6D-466A-9AB8-40D3642F95AA_zpsrijmjuf6.jpg

8A60B742-A5EE-41E9-BEE6-4BB911908FA7_zpsb4tbrgju.jpg

A2CDE333-C1D3-4BD9-8DFC-5530EAD076A9_zps54lfcs7u.jpg

paluka21

Established Member
Wow, that's a lot of power. Would have been interesting to see what the cams alone would have given you.

Willie2

Established Member
Premium Member
Don't forget the rear end mods. I don't blame you, that stuff isn't as exciting as the engine mods. You have a great cast of characters that had a hand in getting this car where it sits now. Good luck in Beeville, I don't think I can make it this time but I'll try. I have a clone that's getting dedicated at the church house.

MikeHoncho

Who cares...
Established Member
Nice!! Would love to hear your setup.

I'll get a video up tonight.

Wow, that's a lot of power. Would have been interesting to see what the cams alone would have given you.

I've had the cams since May. The car made 776/703 with the cams. This time I added E85, the KB TB, and bigger JLT.

Don't forget the rear end mods. I don't blame you, that stuff isn't as exciting as the engine mods. You have a great cast of characters that had a hand in getting this car where it sits now. Good luck in Beeville, I don't think I can make it this time but I'll try. I have a clone that's getting dedicated at the church house.

Ya, I didn't think anyone would care about the rear end or suspension stuff. If you get free, come on down.

2011 gtcs

GT500 poster
Established Member
Premium Member
Damn that's a awesome mod list you have, can't wait to hear idea video

my13Elenor

Established Member
Do you find a better torque curve? I was talking to Ken from Lund at NMRA this past weekend and he believes cams should be first mod on these cars, helps torque to be more linear and not hit so hard down low, then fall off, also helps longevity of short block, I have same cams waiting to be installed

Lethalchem

Sigmund Frod
Established Member
It worries me to hear you're going to turn up the wick and run it at the Mile. Isn't that basically what happened to the last guy who blew his motor with 800+ at the wheels? Sounds like you know it can't live at that level for long, I just hope it doesn't happen in some dangerous way during a run. Best of luck and be safe.

ThomasL

Established Member
It worries me to hear you're going to turn up the wick and run it at the Mile. Isn't that basically what happened to the last guy who blew his motor with 800+ at the wheels? Sounds like you know it can't live at that level for long, I just hope it doesn't happen in some dangerous way during a run. Best of luck and be safe.

It happened to BOSSPOWER on his way to the half mile in Ocala just cruising on the highway. From my understanding, it was the same 820ish tune he had been running for a while. But yeah, i agree it is a gamble at this power level especially in a mile event. I've been very fortunate to have some half mile and 1/4 mile fun with this kind of power and not a hiccup. But I'm not naive to the fact that it could happen any time. I echo what Lethalchem said OP, good luck and be safe! :beer:

my13Elenor

Established Member
Does anyone know BOSSPOWER? I hear he was a maniac and drove that car beyond hard all the time, plus he had no cams and was making more torque lower in the RPM range, which puts allot more stress on the weak link in these motors, (rods) also he didn't window the block from cruising the damage I'm sure was already done before that point, that being said we've seen several motors let go at the 800+ mark, I wonder how many of those had cams?

MikeHoncho

Who cares...
Established Member
killer numbers......any issues with the 168mm and the 148 JLT? In terms of idle quality and everyday driving characteristics

Lund has the 168mm tuning down. I think it might be better than when it had the JLT 127 and FRPP dual TB.

We may or may not. Hopefully we won't need to, but whatever it takes to hit 200.

Good stuff. Did Kinetik do your work? You like 'em?

Yes they did. They're great. I've been there three times now for different things. It's the only place I'll go from now on.

2011 gtcs

GT500 poster
Established Member
Premium Member
Seems as long as you don't shift much higher than 6,200 rpms, your engine should be safe. I definitely think the high RPMS is what kills are engines. I know bosspower shifted at 6900rpms and that may or may not have been a factor to his Engine failure.

kw_rc

Established Member
I can vouch for them as well. You thinking about getting some work done? What you got and I'm assuming you're in Houston?

I am seriously considering them. Mitch has been very responsive and doesn't hesitate to explain/share information. It's promising to hear your feedback and Honcho's too. I'm not in Houston. I'm in San Antonio but am more than happy to trailer the car to Kinetik. I want them to install the NSR cams in my '12 Shelby. It's got the typical bolt-ons including a KB 2.8LC, ARH LT's and all of the obligatory supporting engine and suspension mods. Cams would complete this car. Even if I didn't pick up a single HP I'd be a happy camper with that wonderful lope. It's the final touch to make it sound like a true muscle car. Here's a pic:

IMAG0066.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread