Corrective eye procedure

jenkins_1120

Established Member
I recently had PRK done and thought I would share.

Had the procedure done on a Wednesday and by lunch time Saturday I was good. Everything was hazy the first day, second day I couldn’t keep my eyes open long and it felt like I had something in them, day three was the worst. Woke up Saturday still not the best so I went back to sleep for a few hours and felt great. Currently on Sunday I can drive and see normal, things are still a little hazy and have a ring around lights, but for the most part not terrible. Have my 5 day post check up tomorrow.

I was in the room for about 15 minutes and most of that is getting situated in the chair. It started with basically an electric tooth brush to your eye to shave the first layer down and depending on prescription is how long the laser runs. My prescription was -.75 left -2.0 right so I’m nearsighted, and total time under the laser was 11s right and 6s left.

After the procedure they put a contact in each eye. If you’ve worn contacts it feels like it’s backwards. Three different eye drops an antibacterial, steroid, and lubricant one. You will basically keep your eyes shut/sleep for the next three days. I couldn’t stand to have them open, not painful just irritating to keep them open. They told me to keep them shut and sleep as much as possible and that would speed up the healing process.

Overall glad I got it done and hopefully no more glasses.

Here’s the video and I thought I was pretty cool seeing it after.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Skitzerman

NE Philly
Established Member
Congrats on the successful eye procedure. Being able to see without glasses must be a great feeling. I know first hand, what a challenge it is to get anything done to your eyes. I have age related macular degeneration, which requires a needle in both eyes, once a month. My eye site is getting better but I've got a long road ahead.

RDJ

ZERO shits given
Established Member
best thing is waking up in the middle of the night and being able to see the clock across the room without having to fumble for your glasses .. LOL

I had one of mine done in 2005 after I had cateract surgery in the other eye ..

don't be too surprised if the light flare shows up at night around car headlights

buffalosoldier

Established Member
I couldnt see my clock so I got one with big numbers, $15, problem solved

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

*Jay*

Tweeker by trade
Established Member
Premium Member
I had my eyes done back in 06 (best money I ever spent) and I still cant watch that procedure lol. They had everyone getting operated on displayed on a bigscreen TV while you waited your turn, I made it about 10 seconds before I sat staring at the corner.

Not sure how much tech has changed in 13 years but I got lasered for 66 seconds in my right eye and 70 in my left. Person before me was like you, zap, zap, done and I was layin there askin if anything was wrong when they just kept blasting away!!!

The one thing I wasnt ready for at all was the smell, wasnt any worse than burnt hair except I freaked out knowing it was my eyeball. Had 20/10 for a few months before it leveled out to 20/20 day time, 20/30 night time. Suggest it to everyone I know. Dad had cataract suregery done and he was 20/15 at distance for many years.

MinGrey02Stg2

Established Member
Glad things went well... but that recovery does NOT seem fun. I got lasik done last July and I had the procedure in the morning. I came home, slept for about 3 hours, and by night time I was watching TV without issue. Pretty amazing. The laser was on for maybe 5-10 seconds in each eye. It smelled like burning flesh though which was the worst part.

2011 gtcs

GT500 poster
Established Member
Premium Member
I had lasik surgery done back in 09, best decision ever. I had been wearing glasses all my life and hated it. I'm glad the surgery went well for you OP.

DriftwoodSVT

Si vis pacem, para bellum
Established Member
I had Lasik done back in 2003. Cost me $500 for both eyes. I still have perfect vision to this date.

BV600

Established Member
Had PRK in 2014 ended up with 20/15 in each eye. Seems to be worsening with 20/30 L and 20/25 R. Anyone else have issues?

Booky

Who's Pick'n The Banjo Here?
Established Member
OP, what was the final cost of your eye surgery?

I will be going through this very soon as I have corneal astigmatism and my one eye is damn near useless (everything is blurry and cloudy).

MDShelby

Established Member
Premium Member
I had the old fashioned surgery in 2004, where they take a scalpel and cut your cornea in specific places. I had an astigmatism in both eyes to varying degrees. Did away with glasses that I had worn for years. Need readers, but still great distance vision.

01yellercobra

AKA slo984now
Established Member
I had the PRK done back in 2004. It was done through the Navy. I would have gone with Lasik, but I had dreams of flying and the Navy didn't allow Lasik for aircrew and divers. I had it done on a Friday and I remember the weekend sucked. I had never work contacts so I had that new sensation as well as recovering. I remember sleeping most of the weekend. But my eye lids were so swollen then wouldn't let the tears building up through. So once in a while I had to turn my head down and open my eyes to let them out. I remember things being fuzzy after that and slowly getting better. My bad eye went from 20/200 to 20/15. I don't know where I'm at now. But things still seem good.

I didn't smell anything burning, but I do remember feeling my eyeball moving back and forth as the laser hit it. That was weird.

_Snake_

Established Member
I had Lasik done in 2001 and also feel like it was money well spent. I was 20/20 in my right eye and 20/30 or 20/40 in my left afterwards (I have astigmatism and they reshaped as much as they could under FDA rules back then).

My vision isn’t as good nowadays, but still much better than it was prior to the surgery. The only real issue that I currently have is photosensitivity. It’s bad enough that I have to wear sunglasses outside all the time, but still not anything that would deter me from doing it all over again.

Coiled03

Established Member
I've considered doing this for awhile, now. I'm starting to get what I think are eye strain related headaches. I've never worn glasses, or contacts in my entire life.

However, I've heard doctors don't recommend it for just aging related vision deterioration. Does anyone know if this is true? I'm likely going to schedule a consult soon, but thought I'd ask.

Skitzerman

NE Philly
Established Member
I've considered doing this for awhile, now. I'm starting to get what I think are eye strain related headaches. I've never worn glasses, or contacts in my entire life.

However, I've heard doctors don't recommend it for just aging related vision deterioration. Does anyone know if this is true? I'm likely going to schedule a consult soon, but thought I'd ask.

I tried 10 years ago, when I was 62. They told me I was too old. You may find a place that will do it, if they think your sight problems are correctable.

JetmechF16

Under Pressure
Established Member
Premium Member
Top Shelf Gentlemen
I had LASIK done in 2006, best money I ever spent. Still 20/20 to this day but I still get some halos around lights at night. I know from my dad that macular degeneration is common in our family so I don’t expect these results to last forever.

jenkins_1120

Established Member
Had PRK in 2014 ended up with 20/15 in each eye. Seems to be worsening with 20/30 L and 20/25 R. Anyone else have issues?

Sound to me that’s normal. The doc told me our eyes naturally get worse/weaken with age.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jenkins_1120

Established Member
OP, what was the final cost of your eye surgery?

I will be going through this very soon as I have corneal astigmatism and my one eye is damn near useless (everything is blurry and cloudy).

It was through the Air Force. So all I had to pay was fuel to get to a base that does it and a hotel room for a week.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Dirks9901

Paint>Vinyl
Established Member
Premium Member
Anyone who has had Lasik or PRK, any dry eye issues? That’s the only thing I’m paranoid about.

Sent from my iPhone using svtperformance.com

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread