Corvette Z06 says checkmate to GT500

_Snake_

Established Member
Well, that would mean comparing a Luxury sedan (Panamera) to a Z06. That sound right to you?

Certainly not. That’s comparing a sedan to a sports car and definitely not fair. I understand what you’re saying though, and I agree the line has to be drawn somewhere.

However, the main selling point for both the GT500 and Corvette is performance. Brand loyalty aside, they target pretty much the same audience of interested/potential buyers and it’s reasonable to believe they’ll cross shop the two models (this thread is proof of that IMHO). I think it’s also reasonable to believe that a buyer looking for a weekend track toy isn’t going to compare the C8 Corvette to a Panamera.

Grabber

Yep...
Established Member
You say too much logic... But he's the one who said compare the panamera to a z06.. Not the guy he was quoting. 10 minutes ago he was unaware that 911's were a 4 seater chassis.

By all this "logic" you must think the gt500 is geared towards the hellcats/demons? Its not. The GT350 was quoted, by ford, to be a gt3 competitor. And this gt500, clearly is being marketed as a track day car.

Its a sports car, 2 seats or 4 seats, they are all competitors.

Given the chance, id buy the GT3.. but I can not afford a GT3, I can afford the C8Z51 though

Actually, go back and read.

You stated - by my logic since the Mustang has 4 seats, these cars should be compared to all of Porsche's 4-door cars.

I replied by saying "So, you want to compare a Panamera now to a Z06".

Still follow?

I was just saying, that the Mustang is a much larger car compared to the Vette and can comfortable seat 4-people.

The owners of my company have several 911's. I'm 6'1 200ish pounds and barely, and I mean barely fit by myself in the back seat.

My reply was meant to refer to the top end performing 911's that do not have back seats (GT2/GT3) but, I did not elaborate.

Somehow a 70K car without ADM's is being compared to cars that start at the mid 100K range. Whereas the C7Z with all of the options were well over 130K.

Rock20

Established Member
Actually, go back and read.

You stated - by my logic since the Mustang has 4 seats, these cars should be compared to all of Porsche's 4-door cars.

I replied by saying "So, you want to compare a Panamera now to a Z06".

Still follow?

I was just saying, that the Mustang is a much larger car compared to the Vette and can comfortable seat 4-people.

The owners of my company have several 911's. I'm 6'1 200ish pounds and barely, and I mean barely fit by myself in the back seat.

My reply was meant to refer to the top end performing 911's that do not have back seats (GT2/GT3) but, I did not elaborate.

Somehow a 70K car without ADM's is being compared to cars that start at the mid 100K range. Whereas the C7Z with all of the options were well over 130K.

I find it interesting that you referr to the Shelby as a 70k car but the name the Z06 a 130k car. If I'm not mistaken the Shelby starts at 74k and a 19Z starts at 79k which you can easily get for low 70's(I got my 16 1LZ for 72k) There is no reason reason to believe the new Z will deviate from it's current pricing structure as the base car is right in line with the previous generation plus a new year new generation price bump.

I believe the 2020 GT500 and new Z06 base to base wont be extremely far apart and will easily over lap with options. I along with others will cross shop them.

Grabber

Yep...
Established Member
I find it interesting that you referr to the Shelby as a 70k car but the name the Z06 a 130k car. If I'm not mistaken the Shelby starts at 74k and a 19Z starts at 79k which you can easily get for low 70's(I got my 16 1LZ for 72k) There is no reason reason to believe the new Z will deviate from it's current pricing structure as the base car is right in line with the previous generation plus a new year new generation price bump.

I believe the 2020 GT500 and new Z06 base to base wont be extremely far apart and will easily over lap with options. I along with others will cross shop them.

Shelby starts at 70K and the Z starts a tick over 80K. Right off the bat is a 10K price difference.

People were saying that it would take the top of the line, fully optioned out GT500 to barely compete with the base model Z.

Previous C7Z's, once optioned out, were well over 120K. This is Porsche 911 territory, which makes sense.

Z06/911 are both lightweight cars, with little to no back seat, that are great in a straight line and especially good on a road course.
GT500 costs less than both, is much larger in physical size and weighs a LOT more than both. It is good at a drag strip and according to Ford, will be great on a road course.

However, Chevy has advertised that they are coming after super cars. I haven't seen Ford say they are coming after Super cars.

Just pointing this out.

Rock20

Established Member
Shelby starts at 70K and the Z starts a tick over 80K. Right off the bat is a 10K price difference.

People were saying that it would take the top of the line, fully optioned out GT500 to barely compete with the base model Z.

Previous C7Z's, once optioned out, were well over 120K. This is Porsche 911 territory, which makes sense.

Z06/911 are both lightweight cars, with little to no back seat, that are great in a straight line and especially good on a road course.
GT500 costs less than both, is much larger in physical size and weighs a LOT more than both. It is good at a drag strip and according to Ford, will be great on a road course.

However, Chevy has advertised that they are coming after super cars. I haven't seen Ford say they are coming after Super cars.

Just pointing this out.

A 19Z starts at 81k. A 3LZ M7, Z07, Comp Seats is 104k add 2k for an A8. You are 20 k off. Now sure you could option another few k with wheel locks, car cover, and miscellaneous things but a fully loaded z is around 105 with a base at 81k. while a GT 500 is 73k base and optioned out to what 100k plus? Same ball park.

Grabber

Yep...
Established Member
A 19Z starts at 81k. A 3LZ M7, Z07, Comp Seats is 104k add 2k for an A8. You are 20 k off. Now sure you could option another few k with wheel locks, car cover, and miscellaneous things but a fully loaded z is around 105 with a base at 81k. while a GT 500 is 73k base and optioned out to what 100k plus? Same ball park.

Took my info from a previous post in the last page or two here.

Someone stated clearly that a fully optioned out 3LZ C7Z with tax was over 120K.

People are speculating what options for the GT500 are available and saying it wil be over 100K with options. You cannot even build one yet and pre-order is not available until January, 2020.

However, as it has been said, why would Chevy deviate from previous Z06 pricing that was upwards of 100K optioned out, less tax/title, etc. Same can be said for the C8Z.

Rock20

Established Member
Took my info from a previous post in the last page or two here.

Someone stated clearly that a fully optioned out 3LZ C7Z with tax was over 120K.

People are speculating what options for the GT500 are available and saying it wil be over 100K with options. You cannot even build one yet and pre-order is not available until January, 2020.

However, as it has been said, why would Chevy deviate from previous Z06 pricing that was upwards of 100K optioned out, less tax/title, etc. Same can be said for the C8Z.

Whoever you quoted was incorrect.Take 5 mins and price one. 105k.

Grabber

Yep...
Established Member
Just built one - 112K

Added the Z07 package, a $1,495 wheel option and some interior upgrades.

Add tax, title and fees, this car will be roughly $123,000 out the door without incentives....

Sure, you don't need different wheels, unless you like Chrome, and you don't need the Z07 package or the carbon package.

Still going to be over 100K and we do not know what the GT500 will have for options.

blk02edge

Established Member
Yes, but, has Ford said that the new "Mustang' GT500 be a direct competitor to the Z06 and super cars?

No, not as I recall.
Well what else is it marketed against...? The zl1 1le was marketed against supercars, and the gt500 is set out to beat the 1le... Also gotta remember the interior packages have nothing to do with performance. Yes you can make the corvette expensive with all the little details but fact is a base z06 will compete with all those higher end cars, the base shelby will not. The z06 will be faster than the gt500 for cheaper.

Rock20

Established Member
Just built one - 112K

Added the Z07 package, a $1,495 wheel option and some interior upgrades.

Add tax, title and fees, this car will be roughly $123,000 out the door without incentives....

Sure, you don't need different wheels, unless you like Chrome, and you don't need the Z07 package or the carbon package.

Still going to be over 100K and we do not know what the GT500 will have for options.

So your saying a fully loaded fully functional Z06 is 105k. In my case I'm happy with a base at 81k or 72 with discounts since Chevy builds one for any who want to buy. Just like the Z you will be able to option out a Shelby to the gills and pricing will surge up. I'd be happy with a base plus electronics package. That will likely be in the same ballpark range.

C0bra99

Established Member
So your saying a fully loaded fully functional Z06 is 105k. In my case I'm happy with a base at 81k or 72 with discounts since Chevy builds one for any who want to buy. Just like the Z you will be able to option out a Shelby to the gills and pricing will surge up. I'd be happy with a base plus electronics package. That will likely be in the same ballpark range.
You are assuming that the car is going to get sold with discounts. Last time I checked all C8s are selling at list. So it's safe to assume that this will continue with the Z06. The 2019 Z is also ~225# more then the base 2019 stingray, so no way the new one is going to be same weight with twins bigger brakes etc...

Rock20

Established Member
You are assuming that the car is going to get sold with discounts. Last time I checked all C8s are selling at list. So it's safe to assume that this will continue with the Z06. The 2019 Z is also ~225# more then the base 2019 stingray, so no way the new one is going to be same weight with twins bigger brakes etc...

I'm assuming nothing. I stated fact of what 19Z's are going for MSRP and stated you get them(19's) for under that price. You can buy a Z now with heavy discounts as you have been able to for the past few years. Now you will likely pay MSRP(or more) for the new Z whenever it drops.Im fine with that.

Last edited:

Serpent

Bike or Cobra?
Established Member
I'm assuming nothing. I stated fact of what 19Z's are going for MSRP and stated you get them(19's) for under that price. You can buy a Z now with heavy discounts as you have been able to for the past few years. Now you will likely pay MSRP(or more) for the new Z whenever it drops.Im fine with that.
This is the end model year for the c7, no kidding they are getting discounted more than before. They're doing this to clear out and make room for the c8. The c8 will be more expensive for sure going mid engine and having more options.

We can revisit this once the c8 z06 comes out. It wont be much of a comparison, one went mid engine to compete with supercars, the other gained weight and a dct and will still be sub supercar performance on the track. Every year the supercar bar is raised.

Rock20

Established Member
This is the end model year for the c7, no kidding they are getting discounted more than before. They're doing this to clear out and make room for the c8. The c8 will be more expensive for sure going mid engine and having more options.

We can revisit this once the c8 z06 comes out. It wont be much of a comparison, one went mid engine to compete with supercars, the other gained weight and a dct and will still be sub supercar performance on the track. Every year the supercar bar is raised.

Did you miss the part of Z's being discounted for years? They aren't limited production vehicles. Chevy builds as many as people order. Again I got my 1LZ 16 with Nav and PDR for 72. That's not an out of the ordinary deal for nearly the entire model run.

Serpent

Bike or Cobra?
Established Member
Did you miss the part of Z's being discounted for years? They aren't limited production vehicles. Chevy builds as many as people order. Again I got my 1LZ 16 with Nav and PDR for 72. That's not an out of the ordinary deal for nearly the entire model run.
I didn't miss it, but you are using an older car which you recently got as an example. I was looking at z06 back in 2017. Glad a didnt, they have plummeted in price.
Are you saying since the new gt500 is expensive and speculating the c8z will be cheap too, that it's the better car to get because of performance? Lol there is no argument the c8z will be superb. Again, we are comparing cars that are from 27k base price and 59k base price.
While the gt500 will be selling over 100k and that's including adm, the vette has yet to reach the ceiling so really, how are they comparable?

Ford can make all the claims it wants, at the end of the day theres levels to this and the vette has always been above the Mustang.

Users who are viewing this thread